Don't part it! My '86 951 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Tim-C.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't part it! My '86 951 build

This one goes out to all the guys who say, "Don't part it!"

When I bought the car I knew I'd have some work ahead of me. It had been sitting for a while, had bad paint, and a salvage title from a flood in 2004. Still, I knew the owner, and the car ran great when I test drove it. I didn't know what had been done to the motor/tuning, but it was super fast. I feared that it would need a clutch sooner rather than later, so offered an amount that would enable me to replace the clutch, paint the car at my brother's body shop, and be into it for about $6k. Much to my surprise when I got it home, I found that it had an LSD (220) and Sport Shocks (474) as well as a K26/8, 3" exhaust w/cat delete, 2 piece crossover. Oh, and the clutch? I just measured the gap per Clark's; it showed 21-22mm, so it should be fine for a while.

I drove it daily from Sept through January. During that time, the battery in my 911 died twice. I simply had no desire to drive my SC after I had experienced a slightly tuned 951. The SC has, as of this week, been sold and will be returning to Germany soon.

Unfortunately in January, I began noticing white smoke from the exhaust. When I pulled the plugs to look for antifreeze in the combustion chamber, #2 was covered in oil. I pulled the head and sent it to Eagle Machine here locally in metro ATL. The oil was chocolate milky. Now the head is gorgeous.

So that was January. And with work, travel, a 16 month old, I just haven't found the time to button the car back up. Plan is to replace the motor mounts, new rod bearings, new belts, swap the leaky power steering system for manual, delete the non-functioning A/C, venturi delete, and add a Tial 38mm Wastegate + MBC and some gauges.

I just ordered this from Fast Guys. Looks good, and even on a Sunday I had Andrew the Co President email me back a response to a question on product inventory. If the item turns out as good as the service so far, I'll be mightily impressed.

http://fastguys.com/944-ac-delete-bracket-kit

A few questions on the MBC and gauges. I'm thinking of getting this from Lindsey. Any thoughts on the specific gauges in this kit? There's like umpteen choices for each. Is it worth it? Is it a PITA to install?

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Pors...K-GAUGE-3.html

Paint will follow, probably this winter.
Attached Images     
Old 05-22-2011, 09:51 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any thoughts on where your going to get it painted and for how much? Boost Gauge, Wide Band, and MBC any style If i was you i would look around. You can find better prices on the gauges than what lindsay has.

Where is Eagle Machine? i have googled them and can only find in Auburn Ga?
Old 05-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool car! And way to be on preserving this one.

As far as gauges and stuff like that, you're better off going through the gauge manufacturers themselves, or looking for an ebay deal on the same stuff. It's quite a bit cheaper.

Par example, I just ordered an Innovate XD-16 standalone wideband kit. It cost about $280-290, with shipping. Saved about $100 there. That was on ebay. If you're looking for boost, oil temp, EGT, etc... it's probably cheapest if you can go to a local store and buy them there.

As far as the restoration goes, hopefully all turns out well and you'll end up with a nice 951 who was given a second chance.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:03 PM
Tim-C.
Instructor

Yep. They are in Auburn. I suppose Metro Atlanta might be stretching it...

Any specifics on where else to look for MBC/gauges?
Old 05-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Any of the gauges you've seen on Lindsey, they each have a brand name. Go to those sites, and that will be your starting price point. You can do Google searches for gauges too. Personally, I would order a wideband online, so I can get the one I want, but anything else, just pick up from a local parts store.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:24 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

you live in ATL and are doing an A/C delete? yikes...
Old 05-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Tim-C.
Instructor

Ha ha. Yeah, I haven't had A/C in any of my daily drivers since I moved here 3.5 years ago.

Thanks for the gauge advice. I just ordered the MBC for now, and a ton of gaskets and stuff from Pelican.

Any thoughts on tires? The car has 17s, with some old Kumhos on it now. I'm thinking either Falken Azenis, which I had on a Miata before and kinda liked, or Nitto NT01s, which I drove at Nitto's NT01 launch event in Fontana like forever ago. I'm not too concerned with all season driveability or with tire longevity. Sadly, my tires usually die due to age rather than wear...

Thanks,

Tim
Old 05-23-2011, 12:02 AM
carlege
Drifting

T-Cup dont forget we have Summit Racing store just up the road. Might want to mosey on over there and have a look at the gauges. I bought a Lindsay racing MBC kit and the gauge plate
Old 05-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

I love a good resurrection! Take some pics on the way so we can watch your progress.

Did you order the "Seat bottom catch can" with the AC delete? Just kidding!
Old 05-23-2011, 09:36 AM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

T-Cup, good job on not parting it. If you're interested I have a 2 hole Lindsey face plate I'm not using. Brand new. It has 2 gauge holes in the center, no where to put the MBC ****. Personally if I did go the MBC route, I'd want it under the hood. Too tempting to have it so close while driving.

$25 shipped.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Chris, can I call dibs on the plate if Tcup declines?
Old 05-23-2011, 10:11 AM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

Ted- I got a PM about 20 minutes ago from someone who said they wat it if T-cup doesnt. You are #3 in line. Will let you know.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck with this project! hope it's not that mouch trouble this one.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:50 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

For anyone looking for a gauge plate, I've got one with one hole for a boost gauge, or something like that.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the VDO style guages from www.egauges.com. Clean design and they match the OEM stuff in the car.

Course the ultimates in my opinon are the ones from SPA. Race car quality and price

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gro...roupID=SPADUAL

Quick Reply: Don't part it! My '86 951 build