Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Power Steering Rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My memory is old, but there is a bolt from the aft side of the pump, also. PO did the delete kit on it, but I ordered it and the spacer and made it right.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:55 PM
LS1951
Rennlist Member

In my case the spacer was stuck. I ended up working the pump back and forth until it budged, after removing the rear bolt of course.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

The spacer was in tight. It took about 30 or 40 hard whacks with a hammer on a cold chisel to get the spacer to finally let loose. Might have to get a new spacer to put it back together. Why is everything so tight on this beast. You would think with some leaky oil and other fluids that it would keep all bolts nice and lubricated instead of siezed up.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:12 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

The spacer was in tight. It took about 30 or 40 hard whacks with a hammer on a cold chisel to get the spacer to finally let loose. Might have to get a new spacer to put it back together. Why is everything so tight on this beast. You would think with some leaky oil and other fluids that it would keep all bolts nice and lubricated instead of siezed up
I wish I knew. Like I said, other cars I have worked on, you remove the bolt and you can literally separate the rack from the intermediate shaft with your two hands, maddening!!!

Wish you all the best in putting it back together, that is where it can really get interesting!

I went down this exact same road and still had leaks. Looking back, my rack had gotten dirt inside of the unit which had created so much wear that I don't think it would have been possible to reseal it w/o machining the some of the surfaces.

I ripped everything out and converted my PS rack to a manual one. One of the best decisions I have made on this car. One less fluid to **** all over the place!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:35 PM
944hal
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DYI, do yourself in...with a 944 that could be correct, but in this case it's bad typing skills ) Can't help with the pump. Mine's so long gone I forget. Went with a manual rack, also got tired of fluid leaks.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Tim-C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
I ripped everything out and converted my PS rack to a manual one. One of the best decisions I have made on this car. One less fluid to **** all over the place!
I'm doing the same, but switching to a manual rack. If you need a second PS rack, ie, if it is taking you a long time to get yours rebuilt, or if you somehow mess it up, or if you are just a glutton for punishment let me know. Mine will be off the car this weekend.

Tim

Quick Reply: Power Steering Rack