Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Power Steering Rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Rack

First.... My apologies. If I say anything wrong or call a part a thingy, it is because I am not a mechanic in any way. However, that isn't stopping me from trying to rebuild my power steering rack with the help of this forum, Clarks-Garage and Rennbay.

So far so good. I have gotten around the rust and siezed bolts in most places. But I am stuck on one bolt. I have not been able to get out the 10mm bolt on the bracket by the steering column that holds the high pressure hose. Not much room there and I am getting frustrated.

Anyone have any tricks to share. I soaked it with liquid wrench before I came in for the evening and would appreciate any advice you have before the morning. I really don't want to try to get it out after I have stripped it.

Thanks,

Michael
Old 05-21-2011, 09:37 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

I had to break off the clamp holding the high pressure hose to get past the last issue. My next issue for removing the rack from the car is a problem with getting the steering column to release by the universal joint. I have removed the bolt but it is siezed. Is there any tool or spreader that I can use that would be able to apply more pressure? I don't know who thinks the rack can come out in 2 hours..... I seem to be spending almost 2 hours on every siezed bolt and screw.

Would a tie rod seperator or pitman arm tool help?
Old 05-21-2011, 11:11 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I have had the same problem. There should be a split in where that bolt is that you can force a screw driver or cold chisel into. Mine was a real bastard, but eventually got it out.

I have worked on other cars where it just drops out which made me want to cry and scream at the same time. If you think it sucks now, just wait till you try and re-install it! Welcome to the insanity.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:19 PM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine came right off, but now I'm wrestling with the new rack bushing AND getting the steering column back on the rack.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:26 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Would you say the key is to get the chisel in to the split and make it spread a bit more? I haven't been able to get mine to budge yet.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:19 AM
951Doc
Advanced

Don't despair, that's the easy part. Wait until you try to rebuild the rack! The internal press-fit seal is almost impossible to remove without damaging the bore of the rack tower. Suggest: buy a quality rebuilt rack.

951Doc
Old 05-22-2011, 10:51 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Would you say the key is to get the chisel in to the split and make it spread a bit more? I haven't been able to get mine to budge yet.
Yes, good luck.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:52 AM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to spread it a little. I spread the clamp on both cars. I think the problem I'm having now is a burr or rough place on the splines. I got this rack from Autozone. It will only go half way on. +1 on that seal when rebuilding. I got mine out OK, but was scared to death I would ruin everything. It's been almost two years with no leaks,but I have a slight resistance to left turn. I'm thinking about taking it out & getting a rebuilt rack.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Ok.... Got the steering gear loose from the universal clamp. It isn't completely off, but I have gotten it to move twice. Now I am trying to remove the rack and it seems like it is bumping up against the back of the AC compressor and I cannot clear the crossmember because of that. Anyone else have this? Any tricks? I have tried to change the position of the compressor, but still no luck.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:39 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Just had to keep working it and keep spreading. Finally got it... The rack is loose. I don't look forward to putting this beast back in.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

I got really good at the R&R in the last couple of years. I had to get the steering coupler started before sliding the bolts in. You may have success by installing 1 bolt on the pass side, then working the couple down onto the splines a little, then starting the rest of the bolts. Verify the coupler is still on the splines before torquing them down. I'll also confess that I only have 1 adel clamp on top of the crossover now. Make sure you get new crush washers...I didn't have new ones the night I did mine, and the car rewarded me by pissing out fluid and making me do the whole job again the following day.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:23 PM
944hal
Pro

Congratulations on trying to do the job yourself. I've replaced a couple of steering racks and, if you keep the car and keep working on it yourself, pulling a steering rack will seem like a piece of cake. Welcome to the DYI forum. You'll be giving advice in no time!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:03 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 944hal
Welcome to the DYI forum.
DYI... = Do Yourself In...?

Old 05-23-2011, 03:09 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Originally Posted by VWaddict
DYI... = Do Yourself In...?

I hope not, but cannot guarantee anything at this point. Plenty of adult beverages might keep me sane.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:43 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

I am confessing that maybe I should not do anything on this car that is more involved than vacuuming and giving it a bath. Now I am trying to remove the PS Pump and I have everything loose/removed per Clarks Garage. But for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get it to swing out of the hinge. What am I missing?

I think the problem is that I cannot get the spacer to budge. Once I have off the nut on the front, should I just be able to slide off the spacer?

Quick Reply: Power Steering Rack