Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

No contact with Vitesse piggyback - problem solved :-)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Dea_944t
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No contact with Vitesse piggyback - problem solved :-)

Tried to start up my Vitesse and Zeitronix system today but couldn't get any contact with the PB.

I checked the obvious things like:
- Power and ground (tested with the bypass connector, measured in the connector and also the Zeitronix unit shares the same connections)
- That the USB-to-serial is working (had no problem using it to connect the Zeitronix)
- That the PB and USB to serial are using the same COM port

Are there any other ways to check if the PB is alive at all?

Any ideas what problems I shoud search for?

Can I run the engine with the bypass connector even tough it's a V-Flex SW with MAP and boost control (boost control will of course not work). Probably the only way to check that all connections are OK.

/Dea

Last edited by Dea_944t; 07-31-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:23 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, piggyback just to get the remaining power and smoothness out of the car.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:44 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Dea, did you check with the previous owner of the kit to make sure everything was working fine and to find out which USB-to-COM worked for him?

Your list included all the items to check. Are you turning ignition on prior to connecting?

Yes you can run with the shorting plug.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Dea_944t
Racer

Thanks for the advice!

I'll make another try this weekend. WIll double check all the cabling since I had to be a little rough on it when putting everything back (I have the alarm box on the backside of the DME so it's really tight).

/Dea
Old 05-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Dea_944t
Racer

Went thru all the cabling and sensors again today, did both continuity checks and measured voltages, but no luck in communicating with the PB.

The zeitronix works and shows the following (double checked with volt meter):

TPS: OK, changes with the movement of throttle
MAF voltage: 60mV
MAP: 0 bar, 1.58V

There are a number of outputs from the PB, e.g. pin 16 (Aux Out) and pin 18 (AOut). Measuring on them with the PB connected should give an indication if the PB is alive at all?

/Dea
Old 06-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Dea_944t
Racer

Still no contact with the PB .
Started the car with the bypass connector and it seems to run just fine, at least idle was rock steady, so MAF, chip, injectors and the rest of the installation seems to be working.
Was just about to test with the PB connected to see if it's alive at all when I noticed smoke from the header area....
Couldn't find the source but it didn't smell like exhaust fumes. Hopefully it was just something burning off, I've changed the wastegate and some gaskets and mounted an EGT.
Decided to get the car out of the garage for more testing but then it wasn't possible to get it in gear... the clutch suddenly refuse to work.

This season is over before it started....

/Dea
Old 06-02-2011, 04:53 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

That doesn't sound good. You are hitting multiple rough spots, one after the other..

As far as not being able to connect to the PB, it can be the PB unit, the wiring, the com cable or the USB-to-COM adapter. Did you contact the previous owner to verify that you have all the correct components and everything was functioning properly? Hopefully it's something simple!
Old 07-31-2011, 08:02 AM
Dea_944t
Racer

Had a good day in the garage today :-)

The clutch started working again. It was probably stuck to the pressure plate (which sometimes seems to happen) and a couple of cranking-starts solved it.

With that fixed I made another few connection tests to the PB and suddenly it worked. I didn't do anything differently so I guess the PB is really sensitive, maybe the USB-to-serial adapter isn't a a perfect match.

This means first test run next week.

/Dea

Quick Reply: No contact with Vitesse piggyback - problem solved :-)