Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

574 (AKA Porsche glue)1, Yamabond 0!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002 | 03:00 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Post 574 (AKA Porsche glue)1, Yamabond 0!!!

OK, yesterday I replaced my oil pan gasket for the 4th time (or is it 5th) and it got blown out within 10miles, running 14lbs of boost... Every seal on this car has leaked and been fixed at some point in the last ~10k miles (11months or so). Current offenders are the oil pan gasket, and what appears to be either crankcase vent (oil air seperator), or drivers side balanceshaft housing.

I need to figure out why all my seals are leaking, running out of ideas here. My best guess is that the air/oil seperator is clogged, please help me, this is VERY aggrevating.
Thanks
Ahmet
Old 11-18-2002 | 03:18 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

The oil mist seperator is nothing more than a hollow tube. There is nothing in there. If you take the hose off the top outlet, there is a small orifice that may be clogged. Just clean that up a little bit if there is gunk there.

Have you done a leakdown on it? If you have that much blow by, you may have a ring issue. Leakdown will show that. If readings are normal, and the seperator is clean, you may want to look into something like David made up for a crank case vent.
Old 11-18-2002 | 03:31 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have NOT done a leakdown, but I have done compression checks, it was around 144 (across)if I remember correctly. Very close to spec for a new engine (I rebuilt the thing a few months ago, I don't think blowby is an issue here).

I just want to believe that all my leaks are connected because it's driving me nuts. I've missed enough days of school this semester to have to withdraw. That was the last straw this car is either fixed, or will be on sale (even if still leaky and broken) by next semester. I can't do this to myself! As much as I love 951s, I can't let one ruin my grades.

OK, sorry about the rant I will check the 'vent', and I'm already trying to find a way to rig up something like Salama did, but can't seem to get information from anyone. I disconnected the breather atmosphere right before it returns back into the intake btw, I may return this back to original configuration.
Ahmet
Old 11-18-2002 | 04:01 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

Seems like having your crankcase (potentially pressurized) plumbed to somewhere almost always under vacuum (before turbo intake) would be the best possible cure. Thus, the stock configuration, or perhaps an elarged version thereof, seems like the best solution, especially if you have too much blow-by.

If I remember your words correctly, you did a "dirty rebuild" in that you didn't touch the bore. Borrowing a leakdown tester and doing the test seems like a very good idea at this point. I'd loan you my snap-on leakdown tester if you were near me and I was near my tester.
Old 11-18-2002 | 04:17 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not disagreeing with you here, but if the compression test is a mere .5psi off spec for a new engine, I doubt I can have that much blowby. I might do a test just for giggles...
Ahmet
Old 11-18-2002 | 04:26 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote] Seems like having your crankcase (potentially pressurized) plumbed to somewhere almost always under vacuum (before turbo intake) would be the best possible cure. Thus, the stock configuration, or perhaps an elarged version thereof, seems like the best solution, especially if you have too much blow-by <hr></blockquote>

I agree, with my new engine, I have 8% leakdown, 140 psi compression (rings not fully seated) and what my problem is, oil blows out the crankcase vent causing embarressing blue smoke. If I unhook the hose from J-pipe car does not smoke and the rag I put around the hose gets soaked with oil.

Is a catchcan the only solution?
Old 11-19-2002 | 06:44 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

David, I can only assume that with better compression, I would also have less leakdown (I'd say about %7 less? just going by the #s here).
Ahmet

Quick Reply: 574 (AKA Porsche glue)1, Yamabond 0!!!