Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Quick Head Question Please read you headgasketers!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 11:09 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Post Quick Head Question Please read you headgasketers!

I'm in the middle of installing my head on my 951 and have a question regarding the headers. Since my old headers cracked I order up a set of B&B headers that have a lifetime warranty on them. Anyways my question is can I install the head now and then the headers? I just remembered how much of a bitch it was to get those headers out, because I had to take them out with them bolted to the head. For re-installation can I install them later on? Has anyone done this? See my headers need to be welded and why there getting welded I would like to install the head. Need your input.. Thanks guys!

Dan
Old 01-04-2002, 02:07 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
What's up Dan..?
While I always remove and install with them bolted to the head, If you install your head without manifold/header studs in place you should most certainly be able to do the header install later..

Did you see obvious signs at the cooler for the oil mixing culprit, or at the cylinder head or block mating surface...?

Send me a pic of that B&B header, if you get a chance at same e-mail, and a relative cost for such product please.

I'm anxious to see what you come up with on the tranny deal too..

Terry
Old 01-04-2002, 04:22 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Nothing much Terry just doing some 951 surgery that is. Well the B&B header was quite expensive roughly 1k but they are guaranteed for life. I was sick and tired of these things breaking that I finely broke down and ordered one of these up from performance products. I figured I will probably have the 951 forever and mize well make the investment now. I read your recent post on "all 951 owners" very interesting and informative!! Yes I believe it was the oil cooler seals that were bad, ooops excuse me "oil filter housing" seals that were bad, as two of the seals had a chunk out of them. The old head gasket looked fine, also between the cylinders there was still a nice green antifreeze color there. For a car with a 200k top end, and bottom end it's amazing how Porsche made these car's to last. I mean the last 20k miles for this car were ruff. Some drag racing here, 16-18psi there for long periods of time, some auto crossing here, and some daddy driving there. LOL… anyways I will keep you posted. I'm hoping to have the trans in tomorrow maybe? Also what will happen if I don’t replace the rod bearings if they have been exposed to antifreeze? Also your chips were shipped out the 2nd. I emailed the tracking # to you a couple of days ago. About the picture of the header they’re in the performance products catalog if you don’t see them in there I will get a picture of them for you and send it. They really are sharp I think.
Old 01-04-2002, 09:12 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll 2nd 951and944s, you can install headers later but taking out the header studs while the head is off is better than removing them after you install the head, which I had to do DOH.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Quick Head Question Please read you headgasketers!