Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Retrofit airbag from later 951 to '86 951 possible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 01:04 PM
Modena 395
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Retrofit airbag from later 951 to '86 951 possible?

Was wondering what was possible. I know that if i want the airbag/s i should just get a later car, but i have found a great deal on an '86. I am more concerned with the driver airbag and was wondering how involved this job is. I thought I once saw Tony Garcia had put a new 911 airbag wheel on his '86 - but not sure. Has anyone done this?>

If I am concerned with safety, I guess there really aren't any other options right???

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2002, 02:49 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts
Buy a good set of seat belts and avoid using 12 year old air bags is my suggestion. But if you really want an airbag steering wheel you can have mine. I am taking it out of the car the first chance that I get.

If you really want to be safe get a roll bar and some harnesses. If you get in an accident you head won't get anywhere near the steering wheel. But don't get the harnesses with out a roll bar, that would be a recipe for a broken neck, or death in a roll over.
Old 01-02-2002, 06:12 PM
Modena 395
Cruisin'

Thanks for the advice. But then, how hard is it to hook up? Is it even possible? I hear ya about the 12yr old or even older airbags.

By the way, how much does it cost to put a roll bar in the car? Since you brought it up....

Thanks again!
Old 01-02-2002, 11:10 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why?

Im pretty sure you'd need an 87' or later dash as well.

I wouldn't even want the ABS! Its just weight.

I would spend time learning to better avoid the accident them preparing for one. (it doens't have to be "innevitable")
Old 01-03-2002, 10:42 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts
The roll bar instalation is something you can do your self if you feel up to the task. Or if you feel like paying someone if they are honest it will cost around $100 I think. One of my friends who owns a shop put mine in, so he did it for $50 bucks, and that was with him supplying the nuts and bolts.

The bar it self is probably between 300 and 500 depending where you get it from. Used ones pop up from time to time.

And as for the airbag being possible, sure if you have money anything is possible, I know you can retrofit abs to cars that didn't have it, so I'm sure you install all the air bag parts too, but I'm sure it would be a much bigger problem than it would be worth. If you really want airbag wait for an 88 or 89 951 to come along that has everything else you need. Wait for the perfect car, it is out there, I know I compromised and didn't get a few things on my car that I wanted and I'm still annoyed, but you live and you learn.

Sorry if this was long...
Old 01-03-2002, 11:05 AM
PrerYDoG
Pro

Lukesilver95186 Wrote:
I would spend time learning to better avoid the accident them preparing for one. (it doens't have to be "innevitable")
Lukesilver: Even the best drivers in the world can not avoid the "innevitable" as it may very well end up being. My last 951 (my poor baby) was killed and there was nothing I could have ever done to stop the woman from rear-ending me while I was waiting at a traffic accident (with about a half dozen cops around, plus street lights, 50 cars all stopped, wreckers, ambulances and fire trucks). You could have seen this traffic from space, yet she still managed to total my car because i was the last person to stop (I saw the accident from, quite literraly a mile away). It's always (ALWAYS) better to be safe, than, in my case, sorry.
Old 01-03-2002, 11:31 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

You're probably right. I would just like to think that it wasn't "innevitable". I dont think that it would be "good" to expect an incedent that would take my Pcar away from me.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:04 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fc-racer:

...life sometimes follows your plans so don't plan for the worst.
fc-racer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a profound thought... I recall a lesson I (& most of us) learned many years ago & have relearned many times... In driving, focus on where you want to go, not where the you don't. This is true on the road & track, on the off-road (man, is it true in mtn. bike racing!) - any time one is operating "at the limits", when focusing on the positive outcome (& absolutely ignoring the destruction that resides so close to perfection) is the difference between a clean pass & utter failure. It is as true in physical action as it is for emotional control & life-decisions.

Thanks, FC, your cousin's urge to live lives on.

Danno
User

posted 01-04-2002 19:03

I just found that else where. That was exactly what I was trying to say (just in a much LESS arogant fashion)
Old 01-06-2002, 02:31 AM
booster
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It maybe possible but you need the whole steering column down to the rack I think because the detonator to explode the charge that blowes up the bag is on it.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:35 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

This retrofitting airbag is a bad idea. Besides the VERY OLD steering wheel and solid rocket fuel to set it off you need the sensors and brain to tell the thing to go off at the right moment.

The sensors are tricky and I wouldn't trust ones from a junked car; who knows what a dealer replacement package costs. Even with newer cars people are getting smacked in the head pretty bad when they hit a curb at a couple miles an hour and the bag fired.

Airbags are usually OK for protecting normal people in a crash considering the alternatives but you sure as hell don't want one going off at the wrong time.

Quick Reply: Retrofit airbag from later 951 to '86 951 possible?