944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

question 2.7 Sleeved block

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:32 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

The one thing I've heard about JE pistons are they are based on a piston design made by JE for domestic engines. Don't know if that's a HUGE deal or anything to anyone. There is extra material on the underside of the piston for valve reliefs that they usually don't machine out for other applications. Also something about the size of the grooves for the rings. Not too familiar with them, and did not use them in my application.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:52 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
Isn't there a history on the head gasket leaking on this engine? I would strongly recommend that any issue with the engine be brought up so that the new owner has a chance to look at it and correct the issue.
The original guy putting this car together was Sean Hall I am not sure if it was a lister, car was sold to Mr Wolf, I have all the receipts and maintenance for the car, after the sleeved work was done and a mls gasket installed the car leaked, Eric replaced the gasket with a standard 2.7L, I found the problem, the standard 2.7L head gasket is for the 3.L block which has the water jacket by the front, so some genius along the way cut the water jacket part of the 2.7L head gasket aligned with the 2.5L water jacket, what they needed to do was to order a custom head gasket and they would have solved the problems
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2011, 10:01 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^ back when there were no MLS gaskets for big bore motors the gaskets were pieced together, I still have the 2 piece head gasket I removed from my car
Old 04-20-2011, 10:11 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by David Floyd
^^^^ back when there were no MLS gaskets for big bore motors the gaskets were pieced together, I still have the 2 piece head gasket I removed from my car
was there any special procedure or it was just plain cut and lay
Old 04-20-2011, 10:15 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lart951
was there any special procedure or it was just plain cut and lay
simple as that, but now there proper gaskets available
Old 04-20-2011, 10:21 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George D
Custom built 2618 forged pistons. JE, www.uschrome.com, and my engine builder, Garrity Repta, worked together to make sure the piston sizing to bore size were exact.

Garrity used to teach the PCA engine building classes for PCA. Some of the listers that have done their own 3.0 builds went to his classes.
Ugh I'm so confused! So bottom line if you have a cracked cylinder, these guys can repair the crack so you don't need to do the MID replace all the cylinders,thing?

Then you can use the stock or stock compatible pistons?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:48 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, cant repair a cracked bore...
Old 04-20-2011, 10:58 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I thought the 2.7 crank was the same as the 2.5 L. crank. The 3.0 stroked the 2.7 105mm bore to get to the 3.0 l displacement. I am running a 2.5 L 100mm bore with a 3.0 L crank that results in a little less than a 2.8 L engine. Please let me know where I am wrong in this.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:59 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by AScholtes
Dependent on how extensive the crack is it can be sleeved.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:00 PM
George D
Drifting

Yes they can, and offer a one year warranty. I'd still just pick up a piece of **** block and send it to US Chrome or get a quote for repair. They can also make your 2.5 into a 2.7 or 2.8 without using a 3.0 crank.

This from their site. "Worn out and even heavily damaged, cracked, or gouged cylinders can be completely reconditioned to factory specification, exchanged, or upgraded to big-bore displacement, at a fraction of the cost of a new cylinder and a one year warranty.

The process includes stripping away the old coating, welding and boring(if required), plating with NiCOM, and diamond honing to finish dimension. NiCOM is an electroplated nickel matrix with silicon carbide particles uniformly dispersed throughout. The inclusion of these dense ceramic particles raises the hardness of the coating and produces unique properties."

Most of the 928 big block boosted guys use this process. The racing applications out there using this process is in the 100's of thousands. Many OE racing applications use this process. They have been doing this since 1946 and it's all they do.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:04 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Ok, so I stand corrected... I dont think I would trust it though....
Old 04-20-2011, 11:05 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
The one thing I've heard about JE pistons are they are based on a piston design made by JE for domestic engines. Don't know if that's a HUGE deal or anything to anyone. There is extra material on the underside of the piston for valve reliefs that they usually don't machine out for other applications. Also something about the size of the grooves for the rings. Not too familiar with them, and did not use them in my application.
If interested, go to their website and check out their Porsche section. You will not see the 944/951 listed, but they will custom make whatever you want. Garrity and US Chrome recommended JE based on their success with projects done by US Chrome like mine. I was good with that, as their one year warranty was based on me tracking the car.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:11 PM
George D
Drifting

Ok, so I stand corrected... I dont think I would trust it though....
It's fine. I just want to help. I've been modding these cars for over 20 years. I've modded EVO's, Saab's, M3's, Nissan Z's, and a host of other neat cars and offroad vehicles. This is my THIRD modded 951. I've been through the ringer with the 951, and simply want to share what worked and what didn't. I've been on both sides of this table. I've seen ****ty work and I've seen works of art.

These cars are fun as hell if you have the budget to keep them going. Once modded, things get as expensive as any other high end modded car. It's expensive as hell, and If my input saves someone thousands of dollars, I'm present.

George
Old 04-20-2011, 11:35 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

George

I think in essence you're right. My suggestion is based on 2 of us that had multiple failures using MIDs and JE pistons. After my 3rd failure I raised the white flag. We came to the conclusion that the JE's expanded at a different rate than the Iron sleeves. This was corroborated by other parties who had similar issues. Subsequently I feel that there could well have been an issue with the machinist who installed the sleeves but this can't be proved beyond doubt. So when I suggest using a different piston it is only based on someone having the choice to do so and having something made for their exact motor.
However, this is not an attempt to tar all JE's with the same brush. Sounds like the ones you've got have been designed expressly for your purpose and should provide you with many thousands of miles of happy boosting!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:37 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George D
Yes they can, and offer a one year warranty. I'd still just pick up a piece of **** block and send it to US Chrome or get a quote for repair. They can also make your 2.5 into a 2.7 or 2.8 without using a 3.0 crank.

This from their site. "Worn out and even heavily damaged, cracked, or gouged cylinders can be completely reconditioned to factory specification, exchanged, or upgraded to big-bore displacement, at a fraction of the cost of a new cylinder and a one year warranty.

The process includes stripping away the old coating, welding and boring(if required), plating with NiCOM, and diamond honing to finish dimension. NiCOM is an electroplated nickel matrix with silicon carbide particles uniformly dispersed throughout. The inclusion of these dense ceramic particles raises the hardness of the coating and produces unique properties."

Most of the 928 big block boosted guys use this process. The racing applications out there using this process is in the 100's of thousands. Many OE racing applications use this process. They have been doing this since 1946 and it's all they do.
Thanks for the clarification! Reading between the lines that is what I was getting, they could repair and or enlarge blocks but then they keep switching back to send your cylinder in!

Ok so throwing out the stroker motor, well the 3Lcrank anyway, it comes down to this or the MID for a 2.7/2.8 motor. Wait isn't the 2.7 a bigger bore and the 2.5 crank?

Quick Reply: question 2.7 Sleeved block