Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My compression numbers after being towed home.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:52 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MM951
$260 shipped. I just spent $330 to get my head checked/valves cut , then another $50 on valves. Great deal
Sold my head to minho for $ 200.00 shipped I bet you can't beat that.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:55 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. I got a great deal with Lart. Also he was willing to negotiate. Thanks Lart.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:08 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tedro951
When you say engine was "at TDC" for the leakdown test, you mean each cylinder was tested at "its" TDC, right?
Hey Ted, Yes the engine was at TDC in Cilinder 1 and 4. I could hear the air escaping on the intake manifold.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Bummer... Let us know what you find. I would think the compression #s would be lower if there was bent valves. Also, if the marks line up, those #s wouldn't stop an engine from running. It wouldn't be healthy, but it should run.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:32 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Bummer... Let us know what you find. I would think the compression #s would be lower if there was bent valves. Also, if the marks line up, those #s wouldn't stop an engine from running. It wouldn't be healthy, but it should run.
Cylinder 4 probably would still run, but cyl 1 definately doesn't have enough compression. I was praying that it was either spark or fuel related, but unfortunately the compression test showed otherwise.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

The motor will start and run no problem on 3 cylinders (w/ zero compression on the 4th). It will also run on 2 cylinders firing, not sure it will start - some of the factory diagnostic tests have you pull two injector connectors for WOT signal testing.

I would still look for a fuel or spark problem w/ a no-start condition.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by MM951
$260 shipped. I just spent $330 to get my head checked/valves cut , then another $50 on valves. Great deal
There a guy in B'ham that does a fantastic job of reseating valves and decking for $200 (and that's on a 16 valve head).
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2011, 12:52 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Oddjob
The motor will start and run no problem on 3 cylinders (w/ zero compression on the 4th). It will also run on 2 cylinders firing, not sure it will start - some of the factory diagnostic tests have you pull two injector connectors for WOT signal testing.

I would still look for a fuel or spark problem w/ a no-start condition.
Uhmm Interesting. So you are saying that this car should run OK, and I might have other problems.
Thanks Jim.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by minho78
Uhmm Interesting. So you are saying that this car should run OK, and I might have other problems.
Thanks Jim.
Couple thoughts:

If the car was running fine, then shut off and would not start - that is most likely not a compression problem, unless the t-belt failed and it bent valves. If it was over rev'd to 10k on a missed shift, it might also have had some valve contact.

I have done the WOT testing with the car running on 2 cylinders. And I have burned an exhaust valve on track and ran a couple laps trying to figure out what was causing the drop in power. It would still pull 120mph down the straight w/ zero compression on #4.

I was also in the passenger seat of a 89T that broke a #1 rod on track, and blew the engine apart. It also had burned a #4 exhaust valve during the incident. The driver/owner had to turn the motor off with the key, because it was still running.

I would recommend checking all the common fuel and ignition failure points (DME relay, ign coil, cap and rotor, spd ref sensors, fuel pump, etc) before pulling the head.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by minho78
Hey Ted, Yes the engine was at TDC in Cilinder 1 and 4. I could hear the air escaping on the intake manifold.
Remember, there are two TDCs... one on the power stroke (at combustion) and one after the exhaust stroke. For this second one, the intake valve will be partially open (remember, the intake opens a little before TDC to maximize the air flowing into the cylinder).

I think it's much more likely that you just have a blown head gasket.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

When you say engine was "at TDC" for the leakdown test, you mean each cylinder was tested at "its" TDC, right?
Hmmmm …..strange coincidence….cylinders 1 and 4 are at TDC at the same time….

The difficult part is using the TDC at exhaust to intake phase – both valves are closed for only 4 degrees! (3 degrees Before TDC to 1 degree after TDC). Its much easier to rotate the engine 360 degrees and test on the TDC after compression.

>>>Looks like Van already caught that!<<<
Old 04-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

When you crank it over - is it firing at all? Any popping or smoking? Or just cranking?
Old 04-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

It could be burnt valves – typically that would had a ‘chuffing’ sound at cranking since the area of the valve that is missing is fairly small you can hear the air escaping past it as you crank the engine.

Hearing the air in the intake during a leak down test would not be typical of a burnt valve – It’s the exhaust valves that get burnt.

I would also expect an engine with the compression numbers you listed to still start and run – maybe not very smooth but it should run and idle.

Sounds like you have something else going on….
Old 04-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Van clarified the reason I asked about TDC in each cyl. For a leak down check, think 8 TDC's....only 4 will work for the test.

Manny, this is where I was heading. Low compression in a few cyls wont stop an engine.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Also remember that you'll get a little leak-down past the rings, which will go into the crankcase, which will go to the AOS, which will go to the breather/PCV, which vents into the intake (j-boot) for emissions... This will cause air to be in the intake, although it's not getting their via an intake valve.

Quick Reply: My compression numbers after being towed home.