Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

E85

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 05:55 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default E85

Is there an easy way to run E85 in these cars? For example where you could have a switch for different maps maybe? Whats a relative cost associated with this setup?
Old 04-12-2011, 05:56 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes and if you search "E85 mega thread" it should give you all the info you need
Old 04-12-2011, 06:10 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I am finding with E85, since there is no Ethanol content meter, is that you really need to have an wideband and be ready to make minor adjustments based upon the blend and weather.

The 951s make great power with E85 from my uncalibrated butt dyno.

-Dana
Old 04-12-2011, 07:00 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

86 951 Driver, you can have a setup to switch between pump gas and E85 with a switch. This has been done for over 2 years now with the V-FLEX. However, as Dana stated, the E85 blend varies based on geographical location as well as time of year. I have been told of some areas having 70% Ethanol, while others as high as 92% Ethanol - Both called E85. So you will need a method to adjust for the variation in the blend. We have a way to automate the process, but the required sensor is expensive.

Dana, Which E85 image are you using: +25% or +35%? How much of a change do you need to make? Is it based on time of year, or it differs between gas stations?
Old 04-12-2011, 07:16 PM
hevquip
Racer

Do a lot of the gas stations carry E-85 here? I haven't been paying attention, but with the "green" contingent we have in the state, I imagine it's picking up. My only hesitation is somewhat availability issues, but more so in the sense that I don't know the effects of mixing it with normal gas. I don't mean I'd intentionally mix, but what happens if I have E-85 in my tank and it's not enough to get me where I'm going, so I have to get more gas, but they don't have E-85 and I have to put in some sort of unleaded? Do people make fuel maps for that in those cases? It's hard to run a tank completely empty, so what about that little bit of fuel throughout the delivery system waiting to be pushed out by the new fuel? The part I need clarification on is what happens when in between fill-ups when if changing between the two or consequences of mixing, but only if that is an issue in Colorado (I drive to Wyoming and New Mexico too though, dunno the availability of E85 in those states)
Old 04-12-2011, 07:34 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hevquip
Do a lot of the gas stations carry E-85 here? I haven't been paying attention, but with the "green" contingent we have in the state, I imagine it's picking up. My only hesitation is somewhat availability issues, but more so in the sense that I don't know the effects of mixing it with normal gas. I don't mean I'd intentionally mix, but what happens if I have E-85 in my tank and it's not enough to get me where I'm going, so I have to get more gas, but they don't have E-85 and I have to put in some sort of unleaded? Do people make fuel maps for that in those cases? It's hard to run a tank completely empty, so what about that little bit of fuel throughout the delivery system waiting to be pushed out by the new fuel? The part I need clarification on is what happens when in between fill-ups when if changing between the two or consequences of mixing, but only if that is an issue in Colorado (I drive to Wyoming and New Mexico too though, dunno the availability of E85 in those states)

Yes lots.

It really depends on how perfect you want the tune to be. In my case i just leave it a little rich when I have to run some premium (been a couple years now).

I have driven to Alb NM a few times and have not had to use anything but e85. I haven't driven to Wyo,but when I was considering driving to SLC I remember there were enough stations to get me there.

IMO people make WAY too much out of having to switch between fuels and different blends. Really if the blend is 70% rather than 85 it is just a little rich. Ethanol still runs very well rich. If you run it on the rich side anyway you already take care of a high ethanol blend. I just don't see the problem and frankly I'm tired of explaining it over... and over.... and over.....from now on I'm just going to every time this subject comes up (nothing against OP but just in general)
Old 04-12-2011, 10:48 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fast951
86 951 Driver, you can have a setup to switch between pump gas and E85 with a switch. This has been done for over 2 years now with the V-FLEX. However, as Dana stated, the E85 blend varies based on geographical location as well as time of year. I have been told of some areas having 70% Ethanol, while others as high as 92% Ethanol - Both called E85. So you will need a method to adjust for the variation in the blend. We have a way to automate the process, but the required sensor is expensive.

Dana, Which E85 image are you using: +25% or +35%? How much of a change do you need to make? Is it based on time of year, or it differs between gas stations?
Really just typically 1 on the Piggy back. It does change alot, just a little. I am usingthe +35%.

The station here says "minimum 70%". Since there is an E85 station 2 miles from my house, I always get it from the same place. I would bet that the winter blend is 70% and summer can go higher. It probably has to do with spot pricing on the blend. I haven't run enough tanks through to see a pattern, I have just had to change a little bit.

-Dana
Old 04-12-2011, 10:51 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by blown 944
IMO people make WAY too much out of having to switch between fuels and different blends. Really if the blend is 70% rather than 85 it is just a little rich. Ethanol still runs very well rich. If you run it on the rich side anyway you already take care of a high ethanol blend. I just don't see the problem and frankly I'm tired of explaining it over... and over.... and over.....from now on I'm just going to every time this subject comes up (nothing against OP but just in general)
Take Sids advice. Run it a little rich and be happy. I have tried to dial in a 14.7 ratio and I have had it go to 15.0-15.1 with different blends. Easy to correct, but run it a little rich and dont worry.

-Dana
Old 04-13-2011, 12:41 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hevquip
I just recently switched to E85, and I had the exact same concerns as you have....and you don't need to worry. What Sid said is completely true. Its a bunch of worrying for nothing.

It depends on what you want to do with your car... If you're happy with it being reasonably stock, get an ostrich, use Rogue_Ants tuner pro files, and you can switch between gas and e85 every time you fill up, if you have to. Only takes a laptop to switch tunes, while you're sitting at the pump, waiting for your tank to get full.

I switched to E85 2 tanks ago. It takes some initial tuning to the injector scaling, and warm up maps, but after you get a good tune, you never have to touch it again. E85 runs on such a wide range of AFR's that it really doesn't matter if your mix of E85 varies +/- 5-10%.

Both Josh and Sid run E85 on a regular basis, they are local to you, and have been very helpful in teaching RLers about E85.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:57 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I would be more concerned with the consistency of the octane rating of E85 than with the Ethanol content.
While adjusting fuel on the fly is relatively easy, adjusting ignition advance, and without knock counter, is a risky business with E85.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:27 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Been running E85 for a couple of years. Don't believe we ever had a problem due directly to E85. Blew a few headgaskets when running higher boost but didn't necessarily have the right components earlier in the piece. Ended up with new ARP studs, VR V flex and a couple of switches on the dash. Didn't even have to change the maps via the laptop. Would have liked to have some control over the ign but it wasn't setup for that. Still, overall it went well. Ran 1.5 bar on the street. Even went up to 2.1 bar by accident for half a day due a tube coming loose from the MB....car was quite quick that day. Didn't blow the engine either although only hit significant boost a few times....good times.

Now have the fuel flex sensor and will be installing that with the rest of the upgrade to LINK G4. The service station that we buy our E85 says that their % doesn't change year round but I don't believe it. Doing the tunes to run the sensor will be arduous but worth it in the end.

Quick Reply: E85