Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Interesting issue or am I just very lucky

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011 | 03:56 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Well if nothing else I've created a dynamic and surprising discussion

Duke, regarding a smaller turbine housing. This is the smallest I have found for a t4 setup. It's a .48 t4 with a stage 5 size wheel. I am thinking that if the crossover pressure checks out ok then I will just leave it. The car feels great, and the only reason I'd want to up the pressure would be for a glory dyno run (which I dont really care about anymore)

Rod, I'm not absolutely positive about the differences between my hs and the gt stuff. I can see though how there could be a slight bit more backpressure at certain points due to the velocity being down. I though you were meaning a much bigger number.

I will certainly share my findings. Josh has offered to help set up a 4bar sensor to log but I just don't think it's worth it myself.

Like I said I'm very happy right now with where the car is. The transient response feels very nice and I'm making pressure pretty low in the rpms. I think I've seen around 5 psi at 24-2500. Considering the size of this turbo i'm cool with it.

The next step for me will probably be to swap in the 11:1 engine with the worked head, or build a 16v something. Right now I'll just enjoy it for what it is, and not hurt it hence the "or am I just lucky comment". I have always felt these engines run very well at 25 psi so I'll take it.
Old 04-12-2011 | 04:17 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Also Rod, I was curious if you noticed the difference in sound? Mine somewhat sounds like a WRX at low rpms and then sounds very crisp at higher rpms and boost.
Old 04-12-2011 | 04:40 PM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

im still trying to figure out your wastegate setup. so only one pipe is getting dumped and the other has exhaust going thru the turbo at all times? which side is the wastegate on? the one closer to the center section on the turbo? seems like it would keep the turbo spooled...
Old 04-12-2011 | 04:47 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

So when you swap engines, are you swapping the goodies (injectors, turbo, Rogue tuning etc...) over to the new engine too, or you have other equipment ready for it?
Old 04-12-2011 | 05:01 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Moreboost, the photos you saw are older. There is a small pipe connecting from the other tube as well. Then a plate dividing them in 1/2 to the wg valve.

Black51, I will keep all the rogue stuff on. Always will. If the timing needs to be tweaked slightly we can get into that but I don't think we should have much issue since the timing maps are mapped out for about any air/ pressure situation. The only areas I'm concerned with are the higher boost levels where cylinder pressure could become too great.
Old 04-12-2011 | 05:10 PM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

See Bernoulli.

If the pressure drop increased and the flow is the same, the velocity increased from a smaller pipe or the duct is different, ie, higher pressure drop fittings.
Old 04-12-2011 | 05:34 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3
See Bernoulli.

If the pressure drop increased and the flow is the same, the velocity increased from a smaller pipe or the duct is different, ie, higher pressure drop fittings.
Sorry, I'm just a dumb tinkerer. Care to explain? I'm not sure which way to take this...
Old 04-12-2011 | 05:48 PM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by blown 944
Moreboost, the photos you saw are older. There is a small pipe connecting from the other tube as well. Then a plate dividing them in 1/2 to the wg valve.
cool that clears things up..

Quick Reply: Interesting issue or am I just very lucky