Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Broken AOS

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by AScholtes
ahh. but it wont be under boost because its pre turbo and post AFM, hence the unmetered air.
Sorry, I was speaking in general about intake leaks, but you are right for pre-turbo post AFM leaks of course.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:42 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ahh. but it wont be under boost because its pre turbo and post AFM, hence the unmetered air.
Okay, so I've deduced that "AOS" means something in addition to open diff S2 trans. I'm guessing that's not what y'all are talking about. So what is an AOS in this situation?

One thing to point out. Okay, two things. First, if air is moving through a pipe, and the pipe has a hole in it, it will create a venturi affect, which is a vacuum at that hole. So it will suck in air. Second, the AFM is a resistor, meaning it will create a pressure drop across it to make air flow. That means the pressure behind it is less than the pressure in front of it. That's another source for vacuum at that leak. So it will probably suck in a little unmetered air.

Actually, I have a third point. In closed loop, the O2 sensor will correct those leaks anyway.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:45 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And you are also correct... with an exception... a major boost leak at the fuel pressure regulator. I learned the hard way on an old turbo car I had. Vac line split at FPR and car went extremely lean while under full boost in a long 4th gear pull (non Porsche motor)... well ended up with holes in the top of #2 and 3 pistons...
Old 04-11-2011, 11:46 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Originally Posted by 67King
Okay, so I've deduced that "AOS" means something in addition to open diff S2 trans. I'm guessing that's not what y'all are talking about. So what is an AOS in this situation?

One thing to point out. Okay, two things. First, if air is moving through a pipe, and the pipe has a hole in it, it will create a venturi affect, which is a vacuum at that hole. So it will suck in air. Second, the AFM is a resistor, meaning it will create a pressure drop across it to make air flow. That means the pressure behind it is less than the pressure in front of it. That's another source for vacuum at that leak. So it will probably suck in a little unmetered air.

Actually, I have a third point. In closed loop, the O2 sensor will correct those leaks anyway.
AOS means Air Oil Seperator

Im not sure how the O2 sensor setups in our cars work, but for most vehicles this is only true within a very small window based on the design of the O2 sensor (narrowband). And under full boost or WOT (when the mixture richens) the computer ignores the O2 sensor input showing a rich condition....so in essence, no it will not correct for the leaks...
Old 04-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

And you are also correct... with an exception... a major boost leak at the fuel pressure regulator. I learned the hard way on an old turbo car I had. Vac line split at FPR and car went extremely lean while under full boost in a long 4th gear pull (non Porsche motor)... well ended up with holes in the top of #2 and 3 pistons...
Well, that's very true also -- clearly I should have left it to you to answer these questions Same thing happened to me, though I got away with a mere blown HG.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:29 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Okay, wait a minute!

My AOS is totally separated at the top of the cylinder. THAT is a lot of air going to an open hole. Next, that hole is before the turbo inlet, (via a smaller hose) so the AFM signal is significantly different from the amount of air actually entering the turbo.
NOW, how does that ACTUALLY affect the DME's fuel flow decision?

I'm running way rich. My boost hits at 4k on a 26/6. I have chased EVERY vac leak and exhaust leak.

We're down to a very few veriables!

I'm thinking that my trashed AOS os causing a HUGE leak of air.

I would love some real ideas on this...not that the discussion isn't great, but it keeps going in opposite directions...too me anyway.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:35 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Actually opposite, less air going through the AFM meaning less fuel, as air is pulled in from an unmetered source, it creates a lean condition...
okay, NO! The leak is AFTER the AFM and the meter. The hose to the AOS is near the rear of the J boot ASFAIK., but before the turbo.
So, MORE air is being read at the meter, than is ACTUALLY entering the turbo.

That should mean more fuel for less air, IF the fuel is being metered based on the AFM's air load...YES?

Bottom line is that there is more "metered air" than is actually entering the system. The meter is not reading ACTUAL air entering the turbo. It's reading the air it THINKS is entering the turbo.

Right?

Last edited by ehall; 04-12-2011 at 04:40 AM. Reason: properly edited
Old 04-12-2011, 04:47 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
Okay, wait a minute!

My AOS is totally separated at the top of the cylinder. THAT is a lot of air going to an open hole. Next, that hole is before the turbo inlet, (via a smaller hose) so the AFM signal is significantly different from the amount of air actually entering the turbo.
NOW, how does that ACTUALLY affect the DME's fuel flow decision?

I'm running way rich. My boost hits at 4k on a 26/6. I have chased EVERY vac leak and exhaust leak.

We're down to a very few veriables!

I'm thinking that my trashed AOS os causing a HUGE leak of air.

I would love some real ideas on this...not that the discussion isn't great, but it keeps going in opposite directions...too me anyway.
Mine did that also. same turbo. 15 psi at 4k rpm. and had no leaks of any kind. so i pulled everything off the engine, turbo exhaust intake ect. couldn't find the problem. timing was in order, good compression. everything was okay. i gave up and spent some $$$$ on replacing the turbo, exhaust, injectors and other small things insted of putting things back on. best excuse to upgrade.

If you find out why the turbo lags so much, id really like to know.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:11 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Here's the thing. I just put on a head that has Larger intake valves, and is otherwise totally new, with no other mods, so I should actually be seeing EARLIER spool than I was. I used to spool at about 3100, HARD. Now it's 3900 to 4100. That doesn't add up. Somewhere I've got a hole in my engine.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:27 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's the thing. I just put on a head that has Larger intake valves, and is otherwise totally new, with no other mods, so I should actually be seeing EARLIER spool than I was. I used to spool at about 3100, HARD. Now it's 3900 to 4100. That doesn't add up. Somewhere I've got a hole in my engine.
Did it happen like oneday out of the blue the turbo changed it's mind when it wanted to make boost or as soon as you changed the head?
Old 04-12-2011, 05:46 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

nope. It was after replacing the Head and the HG. I've checked every vac hose ane reconnected. I ran seafoam through to check exhaust leaks. I used ether to check vac leaks...AGAIN!...I'm down to a few Ideas.
1. I KNOW that the entire top of the AOS can be lifted rigt off the cylinder without any effort...it's just laying there!
2. Timing was set a tooth or two retarded,
3.FQS switch is set too rich for the 3", no cat exhaust and better flowing head, than before I changed them.

All changes were made at same time.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:47 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm running same Vitesse AFM chips and stock turbo, with 3 bar AFR.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:49 AM
AScholtes
Pro

okay, NO! The leak is AFTER the AFM and the meter. The hose to the AOS is near the rear of the J boot ASFAIK., but before the turbo.
So, MORE air is being read at the meter, than is ACTUALLY entering the turbo.Are you reading this... c'mon pal, a fifth grader could catch this... air leak POST AFM and PRE turbo, means air getting in that is unmetered and therefore means that less air is being pulled in through the meter for a given load. meaning a lean condition

That should mean more fuel for less air, IF the fuel is being metered based on the AFM's air load...YES? No... less air=less fuel because the computer is seeing less air flow through the meter and a leak post meter is allowing air that is not metered to get into the system. The same amount of air is going into the motor, just a portion of it is not known by the DME because the leak is after the AFM and not getting measured

Bottom line is that there is more "metered air" than is actually entering the system. The meter is not reading ACTUAL air entering the turbo. It's reading the air it THINKS is entering the turbo.

Right? Sort of... it's reading what it thinks is making it to the turbo, which is less than what it should be, and therefore the fuel is cut making it run lean under part throttle conditions
Now, Im not totally familiar with the entire strategy of the DME in these cars. But it seems that in most turbo cars of this vintage, that the computer goes off of a base fuel map when WOT and boost kicks in and uses very little information from flow sensors and such...meaning, it has a base fuel flow that it uses when the TPS shows WOT...

This does not explain why you are running rich... that, I have no idea without knowing exactly what has gone on with your car. We can sit here and guess all day, but without seeing what is going on is like looking for a needle in a stack of needles... its all guessing..
Old 04-12-2011, 07:56 AM
AScholtes
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Well, that's very true also -- clearly I should have left it to you to answer these questions Same thing happened to me, though I got away with a mere blown HG.
Oh c'mon now... no reason to take it that way. I thought this was a tech board and tech was the topic of discussion? I'm just trying to help the guy out with accurate data....

Either way, I wish it would have only been a blown headgasket in mine...
Old 04-12-2011, 09:41 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

ok no, I'm not certain either. What I'm reading is that you are saying that more air is entering the turbo than is being read at the AFm. The hole to the AOS is after the AFM but before the turbo, so why would you think that more is getting to the turbo? The air is bleeding out of the tube towards the aos and not getting to the turbo. Are you saying that the turbo is pulling air from the AOS? If so, from where? Why would that affect the fuel load? HOW would that affect the fuel load? What part of the computer is going to read that and adjust for it?
A wide open AOS is a gaping no-pressure hole, venting air away from the turbo inlet....is it not? It's a path of least resistance.
Are you saying that the turbo is creating a venturi effect across that orifice?

There is ZERO question that I'm running rich, BTW. WAY rich!

Quick Reply: Broken AOS