Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Washed engine today and left me stranded for 2.5 hours!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 11:30 PM
RAD951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Washed engine today and left me stranded for 2.5 hours!

So I washed the engine today and used some spray degreaser. Then I took the pressure washer and just sprayed water without even squizing the trigger alowing just that fine water spray that is always on. I was being carful not to spray over electrical stuff and ignition but... as soon as I went to start the car is just cranked and not spark. So I took out the ignition cap and all of the plug wires and dried them off. I played with the ignition wires for about 2 1/2 hours until the car could idle normal.

Even so the engine still looks dirty...
Old 09-01-2002, 06:15 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

I had almost the same thing happen to me, except it was the dealer that cleaned the engine bay for me. They did this after they crashed my car and blamed me, but that's another story...

Anyways, the car misfired like crazy, and stalled about 10 minutes later in the middle of an intersection for a good 30 minutes. It was quite embarrassing. Lucky it was a hot day and things dried up rather quickly.
Old 09-02-2002, 01:05 AM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I am a fanatic when it comes to a clean engine compartment. I love the quarter car wash. I also have been stranded many a time.

But no more. I found the problem to be water in the connector at the fuel injectors.

The cure is simple, I keep a small can of WD40 in the glove box. If I have a no start or major miss after an engine bay bath, just pull apart each injector connector, spray both connections liberally with the WD40, reconnect and the car should run like normal....

Of course, I now try to be careful when spraying in the area of the injectors.

.....happy cleaning.
Old 09-02-2002, 01:46 PM
Brigand
Addict
Rennlist Member

Question

Rage:

Gotta tell the story ! What did the dealer do to your car and blame you for?

I usualy wash my car out of the sun then roll it back out into the sun to dry the engine. These cars hate water in the bay.

Doug
1990 944 Turbo
Old 09-02-2002, 03:09 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't get the turbo water pump wet, that sucker will run untill the battery is dead. I was stranded that way.
Old 09-02-2002, 04:37 PM
RAD951
Racer

I bought some brake cleaner spray and cleaned the intake manifold and camshaft assmebly. That stuff worked the best. All other engine degreasers did squat to remove the oil and grime. However, I can't get the camshaft assembly and intake manifold to look very clean like some I have seen. What do you guys or detailers use to clean them??
Old 09-02-2002, 04:56 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The easiest thing to do with the cam tower is to paint it. The intake manifold; I love the Jet-Hot coating on mine,,no more ugly stains or trying to keep it clean with different cleaners. Just wipe it off.

Quick Reply: Washed engine today and left me stranded for 2.5 hours!