Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Hello From The UK

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 09:10 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
I have install Miller's W.A.R setups for BMW's. Great product. Now they are expanding to Porsche world.944 setup is ready and other will follow. Just discussed with Brody some days ago and gave help on euro maps.

I chipped years ago 951 which had 28 pin socket but 24 pin chip. That car run without any problems with that combo. You just need to be sure that 24 pin chip's program is valid for your engines setup. Of course i installed a 28 pin chip for that 951
Old 03-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Black88TurboS
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers Peeps (people)
Lookiing to get a 24 pin ECU ALA 86 220 Turbo and have it right.
Greetings from sunny England.
(Good here in'it) English posters will get this comment !
Old 03-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
I chipped years ago 951 which had 28 pin socket but 24 pin chip. That car run without any problems with that combo. You just need to be sure that 24 pin chip's program is valid for your engines setup. Of course i installed a 28 pin chip for that 951
Now you did it, making me talk about DME "stuff". I can hear people mooning already.

On a 24 pin EPROM, power is on pin 24, ground is on pin 12. On a 28 pin EPROM, power is on pin 28, ground on pin 16. So, you can't just plug in a 24 pin EPROM into a 28 pin DME. If you do, you will be missing either ground (justified to top of socket) or power (justified to bottom of socket).

On the 24pin DME, you can add the four pins and change some jumper to make it function like a 28 pin DME. Look at the silkscreen on a 24pin DME, you will see the outline of a 28 pin socket but the pins are missing. I have heard from people that the description in Wilks site doesn't work but I have never tried it.

Now, you can transfer the program from a 24 to a 28 pin EPROM if you have a UV eraser and a EPROM Programmer. You also have to modify a jumper to make it boot from the uP rather then the EPROM. Is that what you did?

More info is on Wilks site.
http://motronic.ws/8051.htm

Last edited by Bri Bro; 03-25-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Black88TurboS
Cheers Peeps (people)
Lookiing to get a 24 pin ECU ALA 86 220 Turbo and have it right.
Greetings from sunny England.
(Good here in'it) English posters will get this comment !

I am sure I have a stock one, just have to look for it. I also have several after market 24pin EPROMS. If someone doesn't pop up local, drop me a PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:41 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On a 24 pin EPROM, power is on pin 24, ground is on pin 12. On a 28 pin EPROM, power is on pin 28, ground on pin 16. So, you can't just plug in a 24 pin EPROM into a 28 pin DME. If you do, you will be missing either ground (justified to top of socket) or power (justified to bottom of socket).
I am just referring to what i have seen. I am not claiming it is the right way to do. As i wrote earlier, i chipped it with a prober 28 pin chip.

On the 24pin DME, you can add the four pins and change some jumper to make it function like a 28 pin DME. Look at the silkscreen on a 24pin DME, you will see the outline of a 28 pin socket but the pins are missing. I have heard from people that the description in Wilks site doesn't work but I have never tried it.

Now, you can transfer the program from a 24 to a 28 pin EPROM if you have a UV eraser and a EPROM Programmer. You also have to modify a jumper to make it boot from the uP rather then the EPROM. Is that what you did?
I have converted several 24 bin boxes to 28 bins. Really easy task to accomplish. I also have E-prom eraser and E-prom prgramming devices, not a big deal to work with chips. That 28 bin box was just as it was from the factory, like was chip as well. It's not wise to run this kind of setup, i am not succesting to run with a combo like that.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:50 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Olli

Quick Reply: Hello From The UK