Hello From The UK

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Black88TurboS
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello From The UK

Hello to you all.
My name is Jim i live in the Lake District Nort West England and own an 86 220 Turbo in Kalahari Beige and an 88 Turbo S in Black.
The Turbo S is modded with the usual, Tial WG, Bailey DV,3 BAR FPR, adjustable Boost etc.
I have started to up the power on my 220, wastgate waiting to be fitted along with all the usual bits, i went to fit chips yesterday from Lindsey Racing, KLR was fine but when i opened up the Engine DME it is 28 pin whereas the chip is 24.
The unit has been replaced a few years ago by OPC (Official Porsche Centre) as the original had failed but the new unit is 28 pin and i was wondering will the 24 pin chip will work as intended in this and if so how to fit it location wise.
I beleive the extra 4 pins were used post 88 for a closed loop lambda circuit.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers Jim.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:13 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black88TurboS
Hello to you all.
My name is Jim i live in the Lake District Nort West England and own an 86 220 Turbo in Kalahari Beige and an 88 Turbo S in Black.
The Turbo S is modded with the usual, Tial WG, Bailey DV,3 BAR FPR, adjustable Boost etc.
I have started to up the power on my 220, wastgate waiting to be fitted along with all the usual bits, i went to fit chips yesterday from Lindsey Racing, KLR was fine but when i opened up the Engine DME it is 28 pin whereas the chip is 24.
The unit has been replaced a few years ago by OPC (Official Porsche Centre) as the original had failed but the new unit is 28 pin and i was wondering will the 24 pin chip will work as intended in this and if so how to fit it location wise.
I beleive the extra 4 pins were used post 88 for a closed loop lambda circuit.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers Jim.
Welcome to RL, the 24 pin chip is for an early DME, and will not work in your Turbo S.. I suggest you return it and get the proper chip for the 88 Turbo S.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:18 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have received a wrong chip. You start your car with that, but maps are wrong for your setup and use of that chip will result serious and expensive problems. There are several good places in UK where you can get a good chip for your car.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Black88TurboS
AutoX

People,
The chips were ordered for an 86 Turbo 220 with 24 pins, the dealer had changed the Motronic ECU0 a couple of years ago.
Turns out this unit is 28 pin which runs with no problems but my 24 pin chip does not fit this unit but is Okay with the KLR as it is the original 24 pin.
Speaking to one of my parts suppliers tomorrow who has a 24 pin ECU from an 86 turbo with a view to swapping plus some wonga (money) his way so that i may fit the chip.
He wins as the reasonably new 28 pin unit is more saleable.
If we cannot agree on price my Turbo S was set up on a rolling road with a guy called Wayne Schofield (Chipwizard) who does a lot of Porsche Racers / Track Cars in the UK.
The previous owner took these out and fitted Promax (UK) chipsets, i sold him the car, regretted it and managed to buy it back !
I will refit the Schofield chips and use the 28 pin promax chip in my 220, the KLR chip by all accounts that i have read does not do an awful lot ?? as regards control and should not affect compatability ?
We shall see.............Regards from sunny England
Old 03-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you "just" purchased the chips directly from us, and realized the mistake after opeining up the DME, we would just send you out a replacement. (you pay shipping). If you're saying you were using those chips, and you shop just changed the DME on you to a 28, them, then it sounds like you need to purchase a 28 pin chip since your DME is now 28.
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 03-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Diver944
Pro

Welcome to Rennlist Jim
Old 03-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Black88TurboS
AutoX

Dave,
The chips were £100 UK Sterling hence i bought believing my car to be 24 pin ECU's, only on opening the the unit to fit did i discover that they had fitted a later 28 pin unit a couple of years ago.
So am i right in saying that the 24 pin chip will not work in the 28 pin base ? are the later 28 pin chips only using data for post 88 models which is not applicable to the earlier 86 models.
What i am saying is can the 24 pin chip not be fitted in the 28 pin base ignoring data from the unused 4 base sockets as they do not apply to the 86 220 model as designed.
Or do you sell the Motronic chips seperately that is Motronic ECU only and if so how much shipped to the UK.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Black88TurboS
AutoX

Hello Paul, or should that be Howdy !
We need to catch up along with Sidestream, doing the Silverstone classic this year are you available ?
Old 03-24-2011, 07:39 PM
David L
AutoX

Hi Jim,
Its PCGB all over again!
Thought I'd hijack your thread. Hadn't realised I had only been a lurker here too.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:54 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Black88TurboS
Dave,
The chips were £100 UK Sterling hence i bought believing my car to be 24 pin ECU's, only on opening the the unit to fit did i discover that they had fitted a later 28 pin unit a couple of years ago.
So am i right in saying that the 24 pin chip will not work in the 28 pin base ? are the later 28 pin chips only using data for post 88 models which is not applicable to the earlier 86 models.
What i am saying is can the 24 pin chip not be fitted in the 28 pin base ignoring data from the unused 4 base sockets as they do not apply to the 86 220 model as designed.
Or do you sell the Motronic chips seperately that is Motronic ECU only and if so how much shipped to the UK.
AHHHH crap..

I just realized you have a 28 pin DME in the 86 220hp car... reading comprehension isn't my strong suit, even though American English is my first language!

Yes, you will need proper chips, set up for a 28 pin DME based on the modifications to the 86 car for it to run properly! (in theory the 24 pin chip SHOULD work in a 28 pin socket, as the last 4 pins are additional memory slots, but dont hold me to it.. put the chip in proper orientation, pin one of the chip on socket one of the 28 pin socket and see if the car will start.. this will be fine to try!)

Lindsey racing or Russel Barry at MaxHpKit.com can assist with getting you the proper chips, set up for the modifications to the 86 car now with a 28 pin DME!
Old 03-25-2011, 12:20 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nope, a 24 pin EPROM can't be used in a 28 pin DME. Power pin is wrong for the 24 pin Eprom in a 28 DME and there is more code in the 28 pin EPROM.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:32 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
Nope, a 24 pin EPROM can't be used in a 28 pin DME. Power pin is wrong for the 24 pin Eprom in a 28 DME and there is more code in the 28 pin EPROM.
See, I knew I went stand alone for a reason!

Thanks for the correction!
Old 03-25-2011, 12:40 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to be a bit OT. I wonder if there is anyone on here who uses a W.A.R. chip and what results they have been getting.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:35 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Black51
Sorry to be a bit OT. I wonder if there is anyone on here who uses a W.A.R. chip and what results they have been getting.
Not sure how many her even know what the War Chip is. I looked at it and it seems like it would work well for anyone running the Ostrich setup.

To the original poster, this late in the game, I would wait and see what options Rouge_Ant will have.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:14 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

I have install Miller's W.A.R setups for BMW's. Great product. Now they are expanding to Porsche world.944 setup is ready and other will follow. Just discussed with Brody some days ago and gave help on euro maps.

I chipped years ago 951 which had 28 pin socket but 24 pin chip. That car run without any problems with that combo. You just need to be sure that 24 pin chip's program is valid for your engines setup. Of course i installed a 28 pin chip for that 951

Quick Reply: Hello From The UK