Brake bleeding question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 07:52 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Brake bleeding question

Using a Motive Power bleeder set at 10 psi, 3 calipers bleed as normal, passenger front does not have the steady stream of the others, more of a drip drip drip. Problem? no problem ?

Of course the clutch master stated leaking I clamped off the blue hose still made no change with the brake bleeding.

Just ordered clutch master and slave from Paragon, there normal quick service should have them to me in a couple days, have a DE at Barber Motorsports this Sunday, don't need any braking issues to pop up
Old 03-20-2011, 08:00 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi David,
Is the problem the same with either of the bleed screws, or is one worse than the other? Assuming you don't have a leak in the system (other than the clutch master cylinder), all I can think is that you have a bit of gunk partially plugging the line between the brake master and the caliper. Try more pressure on the motive bleeder - pump up to 15psi. Do the pump-pump-hold method with someone helping from the driver's seat with the motive connected. Maybe this will force it through.

BTW, I do all my bleeding this way. I used to just use the Motive by itself, then one time I had an assistant pump up via the pedal with the Motive connected, and I got a LOT of extra black/old brake fluid out of the system. I don't know where it was hiding, but the extra pressure helped.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:21 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Ian,
Same on both bleeders, will try 15 psi, maybe I can sweet talk my wife into assisting
Old 03-20-2011, 09:36 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or you have a brake hose collapsing internally.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:58 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

15 lbs only made a small flow rate increase, have not tried the pedal pump up and hold, wife had other plans tonight.

I did install new front pads also, not sure if that would make any difference.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:03 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by badcoupe
or you have a brake hose collapsing internally.
Hose at the caliper ?
Old 03-20-2011, 11:37 PM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

I just put SS lines on two 951's this past week. They both did this. I had the Motive pumped to 20psi with same trickle. I have a plastic coke bottle with a vinyl hose to bleeder valve that lets me pump the petal a few times. Works great.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:44 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrly924s
I just put SS lines on two 951's this past week. They both did this. I had the Motive pumped to 20psi with same trickle. I have a plastic coke bottle with a vinyl hose to bleeder valve that lets me pump the petal a few times. Works great.
Changing the hoses fixed your problem then ?
Old 03-21-2011, 12:22 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

David,

My NA did this last fluid swap I did, I am now shopping (watching) for new front calipers as the interior of the caliper, at the bleed plug was clogged with corrosion... I cleared it, and bleeding returned to normal, but that told me the front calipers are on the way out!

My 951 will likely be getting a huge brake upgrade, so the NA will likely inherit those..

Pull your bleeder plug all the way out, and run a twist tie wire into the hole in the caliper to see if it is clogged there!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:26 AM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

No. That was after I changed hoses. Can't figure it out. I pumped the brake pedal like Ian to see if anything was stuck behind bleeders. I've had this problem on other cars.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:33 AM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

David, you should be able to pump the pedal yourself with the power bleeder set at 15psi. As long as you have a long enough hose from the bleeder valve to a catch can/ bottle and the reservoir is not empty you will not draw air into the lines.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:05 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will remove the valve and check for corrosion, and try the pump with the Motive.

I actually have 996TT calipers to be installed, just need longer wheel studs and I planned on using a 25mm master cylinder, I did not want to take this setup to the track with out a shake down, my hand may be forced.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:21 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Also try disconnecting the brake line from the caliper, put pressure on the system with the Motive bleeder, see whether the brake line goes "drip drip drip". That should isolate the problem to the caliper, or tell you that the problem is upstream.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:15 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JDS968
Also try disconnecting the brake line from the caliper, put pressure on the system with the Motive bleeder, see whether the brake line goes "drip drip drip". That should isolate the problem to the caliper, or tell you that the problem is upstream.
will try that tomorrow,

removed the bleeder valves, probed holes with a paper clip and pumped brake pedal, maybe a slightly faster drip
Old 03-21-2011, 04:08 PM
mikeyoman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by David Floyd
I will remove the valve and check for corrosion, and try the pump with the Motive.

I actually have 996TT calipers to be installed, just need longer wheel studs and I planned on using a 25mm master cylinder, I did not want to take this setup to the track with out a shake down, my hand may be forced.
David, which 25mm cylinder were you thinking of using ? I also need to upgrade my master cylinder due to having larger pistons and am not sure what is available.
Sorry can't help with your bleed issue.

Quick Reply: Brake bleeding question