Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Danno : New Head gaskets (GOOD NEWS)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003 | 08:53 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

take the plugs out and check for water in teh cylinders or for wet plugs.
I am 100% sure that every blown gasket is a result of not proper instalation. My car runs 25 PSI with a STOCK headgasket that is at least 13 years old. no blown headgasket nothing . This was on 93 Us octane stock injectors adj fpr k27 maf etc etc.

David was just broke in teh engine so it shouldn`t blew the gasket. if it is teh gasket then something was done wrong.
why chek the sleeves. where can they go. they must be there and the cant moveneither up or down and not to teh side. if teh work has be done right this should not be a problem.

if your gasket is not a moded 968 and it is a copper then you know what the problem is.

Konstantin
Old 01-21-2003 | 10:02 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva"> The question is, what EGT is that point for a 951? Most people say an EGT of 900C is 'melt-down' time... For our cars, it might be lower though.

Anyone running an EGT gauge on their car? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">I generally get 1200F-1400F during hard driving. The highest it has gone is close to 1600F. This was while cruising at 120mph at part throttle in fifth gear for an extended time. No head gasket failure to date.
Old 01-21-2003 | 11:07 PM
Sean Hall
Racer

Best place to mount the EGT is close to the manifold's flange on the cylinder that runs the hottest.

Question is, which cylinder runs hottest. I could make a few guesses. Someone know for sure?

John, from Wormhole racing, where did you mount your sensor?

-Sean
Old 01-21-2003 | 11:09 PM
Sean Hall
Racer

Thanks John,
Which cylinder did you mount your sensor on?

How'd the installation go?

Thanks,

Sean
Old 01-22-2003 | 12:20 AM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva"> Best place to mount the EGT is close to the manifold's flange on the cylinder that runs the hottest.

Question is, which cylinder runs hottest. I could make a few guesses. Someone know for sure?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">There are pros and cons to placing the EGT probe on a runner. I decided to place it at the collector, in the event there is a problem with one cylinder, and it happened to be the one not metered. The con is it averages four runners and a small problem with one cylinder may not be noticeable. The right way to do it is to run one probe for each runner, but that gets expensive, and not what I was looking for since I am not using it for tuning like a some do. Temps will also run hotter at the collector, since the exhaust gas is not pulsating on/off as it does from one runner, but rather a constant flow.

Check the archive for “EGT probe location” on the 944/951 board for the installation. I had a post you might find useful.
Old 01-22-2003 | 12:24 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Sorry to hear about the continued travails, David. Any coolant in the cylinders or over-pressurized cooling system? Hard to believe it with the o-ringed head. good luck.btw, did you change studs during the rebuild </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Thanks, Raceware studs were used, over pressurized cooling system is what came to mind when I saw coolant in the engine bay. Will check for other systems this weekend maybe I will be lucky this time.

The 968 gasket thing has me worried it is 106mm dia for a 968 104mm bore and I have a 106mm bore???
Old 01-22-2003 | 12:25 AM
NerfRacing
Instructor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Bill:
<strong>

I have seen the area around the valve seats completely eaten away, leaving the valve seat standing proud about a 1/4 of an inch. This car was run for many miles though.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">well i dont think that would be a problem, i shut the car off about 2 seconds after i noticed the smoke and it hasnt moved since
Old 01-22-2003 | 11:07 AM
TurboTim
Banned

There are only a couple of ways to blow a headgasket. Overheating, detonation, headlift or too much boost. Typically a blown headgasket will result in white smoke and difficulty at start-up. O-ringing the head will not always prevent a headgasket failure. It helps but is definitely not the cure all;^)
Old 01-22-2003 | 11:34 AM
TurboTim
Banned

About head gaskets installations........you cant really install the headgasket wrong.The only thing you can do is not prep the surface of the head or block the right way or not torque the gasket down correctly. Other then that, there is no way to install the headgasket incorrectly.

I put the head gasket on Davids car. That was like my 35th headgasket so I think I got it right. It is a 968 headgasket. It should not be a problem on the 106mm bore. If Davids gasket is blown, it is probably due to detonation. I blew a headgasket because of detonation 5 miles after it was installed! If the gasket is blown, you will know where it blew because the fire ring will be split or damaged in that area. A compression check is also a good way to verify whether or not you blew the gasket.
Old 01-22-2003 | 11:42 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tim, can you shed some light on the type of headgasket and fire-ring diameter, as I understand from John when he was still at SFR, a modified 968 gasket is used, that fire-ring is 106mm, to be used on a 104mm bore, will it work on a 106mm bore and not protrude into the combustion chamber ?

Car has not overheated, no start up problems ( other than cold weather MAF rough idle ) , no lean air/fuel ratio ( have a wideband ) if there is white smoke it can't be seen with the blue oil smoke I still have and 15 psi is max on the boost.

Let me say again, it may not be the headgasket. I just freaked when I saw coolant all over the left front engine bay and over-pressurized coolant system came to mind.

It will be the weekend before I can check into things more.

No flame intended on you Tim, I just want to get the bugs sorted out at some point.
Old 01-22-2003 | 12:49 PM
Sean Hall
Racer

Thanks John,
Since the archives in our forums are gone, I can't read that thread.
I think I'll go take a look at some ricer forums to research this some more.

-Sean
Old 01-22-2003 | 01:33 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva"> I put the head gasket on Davids car. That was like my 35th headgasket so I think I got it right. It is a 968 headgasket. It should not be a problem on the 106mm bore. If Davids gasket </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Not in anyway doubting your ability to install a headgasket, what does concern me in this custom application is the 968 gasket being used on a larger bore than its intended use.
Old 01-22-2003 | 07:58 PM
Danno
Race Director

Oh BTW, I didn't mention that the actual hole in our new headgasket is about 1mm wider than the bore. This is to clear the bevel at the top of the cylinders and to prevent any steel from poking into the combustion chamber (potential hot-spot for detonation).

Another BTW, our new headgaskets are reuseable!!! Yes, the super-strong spring-steel layer isn't compressed past its yield-strengh when the head-studs are tightened. This provides a strong tension force around all the compression ridges for a good seal. When the head is removed, the ridges spring back into their original shape.
Old 01-23-2003 | 12:02 AM
TurboTim
Banned

David,

I never once thought you were trying to flame me:^) You are actually one of the coolest and most supportive customers I have ever had. I would do anything to help you out in any way that I can so dont hesitate to call if you need any kind of help!

The 968 wide fire ring comes right to the edge of the bore. If the gasket sits inside the bore then you will have a hot spot as Danno mentioned.

Tim
Old 01-23-2003 | 12:36 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tim,

I appreciate the customer service and support you have given me thru this project, hopefully this will turn out to be something minor.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Danno : New Head gaskets (GOOD NEWS)