Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pauly's go quicker project. (Data Logs!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The quest alternator will be a replacement after the one i have in mine dies

IIRC john D had a custom bent intake pipe which was 4"
Old 08-02-2011, 12:44 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes Georges intake is 4inch.. and very much custom, but the pictures give you and idea of how much more room the alternator gives as opposed to the stock Bosch alternator..
Old 08-04-2011, 02:07 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Not much to update, still trying to look for a longer bolt for the turbo mount. my dad went out to his "special places" to have a look while i've been out figering out how to adapt the water lines.

If anyone has pictures of that they have done to adapt water lines to a DBB turbo, PM me or reply here somewhere.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:15 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
ah you noticed! yes i had to, it was in the way of the compressor housing. i had it closed but still in the way.

to fix the issue, i've got a decent sized O ring and going to use an aluminum shim to have a good seal between the mount and the t3/t4 to GT BB adapter. will post pictures when i do this.
Pauly, I eventually used an 1/8 "spacer" or "shim I made like you're describing to seal the turbo adapter to the mount. Copper gasket the hell out of it (mount to spacer surfaces only) and let it dry overnight before you try to install anything on it, or it will leak.. guaranteed. patience is important here. Otherwise, i think I would have just bought the TIAL turbo mount the next time. BUT.. I'm a trader and just decided to go V8.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:24 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Pauly, I eventually used an 1/8 "spacer" or "shim I made like you're describing to seal the turbo adapter to the mount. Copper gasket the hell out of it (mount to spacer surfaces only) and let it dry overnight before you try to install anything on it, or it will leak.. guaranteed. patience is important here. Otherwise, i think I would have just bought the TIAL turbo mount the next time. BUT.. I'm a trader and just decided to go V8.
i'm slightly confused,
copper gasket and let it dry? is this some sort of liquid/glue ?
Thanks,
Old 08-04-2011, 03:47 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
i'm slightly confused,
copper gasket and let it dry? is this some sort of liquid/glue ?
Thanks,
I'm pretty sure he's talking about Permatex copper gasket maker. It's silicone in a tube. Here.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:55 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Ahh, yes i know what that is. I've got some in the garage, i thought he ment an actual copper gasket, Thank Dave.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:14 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott H
Another alternative (the way I would personally do it).

http://www.broadfootracing.com/performance_parts.htm 1/3 down the page "Turbocharger Mount"

I'm not affiliated with BFR, I just like their products and the fact that they're a somewhat local business to me. I know CEP and Tial do/used to make these, I don't know how much they charge, but for $285 I would most definitely get the custom mount and do it the right way. The last thing you want to do is break everything back apart just because the turbo mount is seeping oil.
The slight problem with B/foot is to add to their 'reputation' of not getting product to the customer in time or at all (even after payment), they have had a family issue a few months ago and I suspect this is delaying their retail business even further. They seem like nice people, but like many in this business, their promptness or lack of it is concerning to say the least. I wish them all the best but am in no rush to send them any more money soon.

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
It IS a Tial mount, teh hot side difference is teh difference in Cast steel vs stainless...

Sounds like Nissan Quest Alternator time.. it is much smaller where it counts for this type of install... the rear sits fartehr away from teh turbo, and the top sits low to!
I read this and can only picture Goldmember!
Old 08-04-2011, 10:26 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I read this and can only picture Goldmember!
Can I gild his stuper?
Old 08-04-2011, 01:58 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Paulyy, first off I'm glad you're getting some progress done and that is an excellent turbo selection.

2 recommendations I would make if I may;

1) the afm link is, well IMO not a very street sutabable piece. Trying to emulate an afm with a MAF is hard enough then to try to do it with a speed density poses many other frustrations from my experience.

2) maybe take the time to add in another v band lower on the crossover as it will make installation down the road easier, as well as leaving the option open for a different turbo inlet easier. Since you would only have to make the small pipe again.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blown 944
Paulyy, first off I'm glad you're getting some progress done and that is an excellent turbo selection.

2 recommendations I would make if I may;

1) the afm link is, well IMO not a very street sutabable piece. Trying to emulate an afm with a MAF is hard enough then to try to do it with a speed density poses many other frustrations from my experience.
to be honest i really havnt found any issues while i've been driving my 951 but i want to go standalone(vi pec v44 maybe) in the future anyway. for the mean time i've been talking to josh about his C Tune if it's possible to get something goint with the afm link. only issue i've ever had that it didn't idle properly but i've got that sorted. but i'll see what happend and how the budget looks.

Originally Posted by blown 944
2) maybe take the time to add in another v band lower on the crossover as it will make installation down the road easier, as well as leaving the option open for a different turbo inlet easier. Since you would only have to make the small pipe again.
yeah i was actually thinking of this. i seen a picture of it done, i think it was patricks car (333pg333) but no sure to go ebay vband or local shop. i was thinking of OBX ones that have a lip so it's easyer to seat but havnt seen any feedback on that brand.

But thanks for the input, as i am always open to any suggestion, it helps and keeps the motivation up!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
The slight problem with B/foot is to add to their 'reputation' of not getting product to the customer in time or at all (even after payment), they have had a family issue a few months ago and I suspect this is delaying their retail business even further. They seem like nice people, but like many in this business, their promptness or lack of it is concerning to say the least. I wish them all the best but am in no rush to send them any more money soon.
I read about all the bad press, but from talking with Albert he seems on the up and up now, really prompt to respond, seems to be re-tooling his website and looks to have a few cool projects going on (GTX powered 2.5L I believe). I guess having them within an hour and a half driving distance eases my mind as well. I'll know soon enough as I'll be placing a substantial order with him, hopefully within a week barring any unforeseen events/monetary expenditures. He was even upfront about a possible production delay so I guess he's really trying to combat that image he developed.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:11 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

if his only that far, might be worth a drive to pop in and see what he can do for you.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:32 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Not much of an update but spoke to my mate who works at a local auto store and work out how to adapt the water lines. orded the fittings and should be here next week. the temp sensor will be mounted on a different angle, if it dosn't clear the throttle body, i'll modify the plug and head, if i cant do that as in theres still no room i'll remove it plug the hole and relocate it or use my turbo timer to run the turbo water pump.

The 125mm bolt to bolt the turbo to the turbo mount is short and cannot be used, people have either drilled out some of the mount to re use it but we've located a 140mm bolt and just need to order it and just cut it down.
It's not actually a bolt, but a cap screw (alan key head)
Old 08-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Well i've located a larger turbo mount cap screw and it's been delivered. just need to find a shim, probably have some something i could use in the back yard or shed. And still waiting for my ProFlow bits to arive to put together the water lines to the turbo.

Quick Reply: Pauly's go quicker project. (Data Logs!)