Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

86 951 Upgrade suggestions - Parts, Vendors & What Order

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:36 AM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 951 Upgrade suggestions - Parts, Vendors & What Order

OK, it seems there are many different opinions on this throughout the various threads. I thought I'd try to get some info and get it all in one place.

With that said.... I have an 86 951 and am interested in adding some upgrades for more engine HP. The car is stock with the exception of having an Authority Chip, a Lindsey Down Pipe and a custom exhaust of some type. And off-hand I couldn't tell you the size of the exhaust but it apears to be stock in size. It pulls very strong and everyone that has ridden with me or driven it has been pretty impressed with how strong it pulls. Particularly at the Mike High Altitude. Other facts: it has about 200K miles on it and the PO told me the entire top end had been rebuilt somewhere around 150 -160K miles. However I have no way to confirm that.

It is a daily driver and my track car. I'll willing to put up with some things, like I have delrin bushings all around, Koni adjustables f&r both cranked to full firm and plan on increasing the spring rates above stock, but I don't want to make it a poor DD.The objective being (and not in any particular order) increase HP, reduce lag (if possible) all while keeping it bullet-proof in regards to reliability.

So what would you do, in what order and from vendor(s).

Have at it guys. Can't wait to see what folks have to say.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:41 AM
hevquip
Racer

Replace the stock wastegate. If you don't plan on going with a manual boost controller or doing many mods, you'd enjoy a product from Lindsey Racing called a Boost Enhancer.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:46 AM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Oh, I forgot... It does already have a Lindsey Boost Enhancer on it.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:53 AM
hevquip
Racer

I think "replace the stock wastegate" then will be the most common reply. A lot of boost seeps off in the upper RPM range with a worn wastegate and you'll pick that power back up with a new one. This is just one of the few first-off mods people like to do. I mean really, the answers to this thread depend on your budget and how far you want to take this car, we can start suggesting some really crazy stuff if you don't stop us soon enough
Old 03-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like your HP quest will need a larger turbo, for starters. Choose a vendor and discuss your goals. Give them your CC number and dive in.

Lots of good advice on here, but a preferred vendor question will start a war that has been fought on here too many times.

Keep us updated on your search.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:04 PM
hevquip
Racer

Good point about the vendor war Tedro. I mean, no need to bring up names really when they all offer the same products. After that, it really only comes down to brand preference.

But yeah, to reiterate, this thread will be easiest if you give us a budget and your HP goals and how much you're willing to lovingly molest your car.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:08 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Interesting, I was thinking about starting with a Lindsey DualPort Wastegate/MBC/A pilar boost guage. What would be the next step after that? New turbo or MAF or larger exhaust? I know opening the engine up (make it easier for it to breath) is important and will help, but where is that in the scheme of things?

Also, if turbo, which turbo do people reccommend? I understand the something something GTS hybird model is supposed to flow better than the KKKs (what is the model of that turbo???? Is it a Garret?) And where does the FPR and bigger injectors fit into this?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want less lag,
You will need a:
- Dual port wastegate TiAL 38mm or LR dual port
- MAF (Lindsey Racing, Vitesse & SFR sell these)
- manual boost controller (the Lindsey boost enhancer wont work well with a dual port)
You said you have a lindsey racing down pipe. then you must have a 3" exahust?

Then you'll want to upgrade your turbo, for a larger turbo you need injectors, for larger injectors you need a new chip...

search some vendors websites and have a think
Old 03-09-2011, 12:16 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Again, interesting. Removing the LBE is not a problem....

I'll try to measure the exhaust this afternoon and let you know.

So far we're talking about bolt-ons.... At what point does head work begn to make sense or be necessary?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Headwork is best don't after you blow your headgasket.

Are you a DIYer? If so, just start eating the footlong sub of upgrades one bite at a time.

If not, a more methodical approach to save on labor might be prudent.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:02 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Yep, I'm a DIY'er. BTW, how difficult is it to Fire ring the head?
Old 03-09-2011, 01:21 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Wastegate will help a little, as will a better boost controller (MBC, EBC, etc.) Swapping out for a more modern set of chips will probably help, too. I've been doing a bit of reading lately on Rogue Tuning's site and it seems the original DME software is pretty inefficient. I have one of his A-Tune's en route to me as I type this - hopefully I'll get to try it out in a few weeks once I get the car running. I'm anxious to see what kind of improvement it yields.... I suspect it will be pretty significant. For sure it should be much better off-boost response, and possibly better on-boost response since his stuff reads and responds to actual boost pressure vs. all the other AFM-based chipsets out there.

http://www.roguetuning.com

As for headwork - I don't see a lot of that around here. Lots of guys making big power with software, fueling, turbos, and increased displacement (2.8 and 3.0L.) But then once you start stepping into bigger turbos and stuff you start to sacrifice some of your DD-ability. More lag but bigger power hit up top... plus then with more power you naturally have to worry about additional stresses and strains on components. Motor, clutch, trans, axles, etc.

Basic bolt-ons like others have suggested and updated software and I bet you'll be in pretty good shape.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:12 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing I'd do is a MAF conversion. Rogue and Vitesse are the only ones of which I'm aware that change the code to make it a true MAF, rather than trying to force a MAF signal into a strategy written for what is essentially a volume signal. The two systems have some differences, I'd recommend contactinng each one for details (you can do a search here, too, there have been some recent discussions).

The reason I say that's the first thing I'd do is because it is about the only thing you can do that hasn't been done that will both reduce lag, and make more power.

As for turbos - well, those are like women. Everyone has different preferences, and there are pretty ones and ugly ones. And the source of much debate!
Old 03-09-2011, 02:25 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
As for turbos - well, those are like women. Everyone has different preferences, and there are pretty ones and ugly ones. And the source of much debate!
the key difference being that when a car's turbo gets bigger over the years, we tend to think it an improvement..

Old 03-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Or with the recent improvements in technology you can now go for a nice new young model with all the bells and whistles in a nice svelte package without giving up any of the performance! You'll pay for it though...

We're still talking about turbos right?

Quick Reply: 86 951 Upgrade suggestions - Parts, Vendors & What Order