Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

86 951 Upgrade suggestions - Parts, Vendors & What Order

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 04:20 PM
hevquip
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by autokurl
FWIW, I'm not interested in a LS swap. While I can understand the various benefits, i.e. weight, hp, availability to performance parts at lesser prices, etc. I have no interest in this. For me (don't flame me for this, it is simply my personal opinion) a Porsche with an LS is no longer a Porsche. It may well be a fun track car and work that purpose extremely well, maybe even better than the 951, but to me it's no longer a Porsche.
Now we officially like you, you can stay!
Old 03-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
First thing I'd do is a MAF conversion. Rogue and Vitesse are the only ones of which I'm aware that change the code to make it a true MAF, rather than trying to force a MAF signal into a strategy written for what is essentially a volume signal.
Then your not informed. We have the same thing using transfer function.
It's not rocket science.
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 03-10-2011, 06:42 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lindsey
It's not rocket science.
Is it brain surgery?

Sorry could not help myself.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:56 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Hehehe
Old 03-10-2011, 09:42 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, it seems there are many different opinions on this throughout the various threads. I thought I'd try to get some info and get it all in one place.

With that said.... I have an 86 951 and am interested in adding some upgrades for more engine HP. The car is stock with the exception of having an Authority Chip, a Lindsey Down Pipe and a custom exhaust of some type. And off-hand I couldn't tell you the size of the exhaust but it apears to be stock in size. It pulls very strong and everyone that has ridden with me or driven it has been pretty impressed with how strong it pulls. Particularly at the Mike High Altitude. Other facts: it has about 200K miles on it and the PO told me the entire top end had been rebuilt somewhere around 150 -160K miles. However I have no way to confirm that.

It is a daily driver and my track car. I'll willing to put up with some things, like I have delrin bushings all around, Koni adjustables f&r both cranked to full firm and plan on increasing the spring rates above stock, but I don't want to make it a poor DD.The objective being (and not in any particular order) increase HP, reduce lag (if possible) all while keeping it bullet-proof in regards to reliability.

So what would you do, in what order and from vendor(s).

Have at it guys. Can't wait to see what folks have to say.
Okay...hold everything. We see this a lot.
It SHOULD go like this.

1. What do you use the car for? Is it pure street, street and some track, mostly track?
2. Are you looking for big dyno/paper numbers or do you want driveability?
3. Handle absolutely all of the maintenance issues before spending a single penny on go-fast stuff.

Once you answer those questions firmly, THEN make a plan. Your research into go fast gear should actually begin at that point.
Don't get me wrong. We've all been right where you are now. Take a deep breath and then buy the gear that specifically matches your plan. I recommend trying to source everything from a single vendor, as a package.
Vitesse Racing, Lindsey Racing Speed Force Racing are the bigger suppliers. There are smaller, more specific vendors out there as well. For ease of planning and support, I'd probably stay with one of the three I listed.

Welcome to the board and have fun!
Old 03-10-2011, 11:27 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mike Lindsey
It's not rocket science.
If all you are changing is a transfer function, then I am not the one who is not informed. Your website states that you kit includes: "QUAD-M 85mm Aluminum 4 Hot Wire Mass Air Flow (MAF) Meter Kit. Includes all plumbing, hoses, clamps, air filter, wiring pigtail, communication cable and instructions for a complete solution."

You CANNOT do a proper MAF conversion without changing the actual STRATEGY inside the PCM (DME). The computer takes what is essentially a volume signal, and calculates mass from volume, temperature, and pressure. By merely changing a transfer function, you are still measuring mass, and your computer is still taking that signal, assuming it is volume, and manipulating it.

It may not be rocket science, but it is a whole lot more complicated than most people realize. Interestingly, all of the cars I did development work on professionally have more computing power than the Space Shuttle. So maybe it actually is more complicated than rocket science.......
Old 03-11-2011, 12:48 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 67King
If all you are changing is a transfer function, then I am not the one who is not informed. Your website states that you kit includes: "QUAD-M 85mm Aluminum 4 Hot Wire Mass Air Flow (MAF) Meter Kit. Includes all plumbing, hoses, clamps, air filter, wiring pigtail, communication cable and instructions for a complete solution."

You CANNOT do a proper MAF conversion without changing the actual STRATEGY inside the PCM (DME). The computer takes what is essentially a volume signal, and calculates mass from volume, temperature, and pressure. By merely changing a transfer function, you are still measuring mass, and your computer is still taking that signal, assuming it is volume, and manipulating it.

It may not be rocket science, but it is a whole lot more complicated than most people realize. Interestingly, all of the cars I did development work on professionally have more computing power than the Space Shuttle. So maybe it actually is more complicated than rocket science.......
Uh oh,...brain surgery or rocket science, I just wanna go fast!
Old 03-11-2011, 01:17 AM
joster86turbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by schip43
Uh oh,...brain surgery or rocket science, I just wanna go fast!

slow down there, ricky bobby.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:51 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

ok ...
Old 03-11-2011, 04:37 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 944CS
the real reason you'd want to go with Miller's is this:

http://millerperformancecars.com/war-chip.html
Looks similar than EFI live in the Duramax world or what Eurodyne is using for the ME7 in PAG/VAG applications.

Unless you have a ton of basemaps it will require a very steep learning curve (and time with endless logging) to get it to run right not just WOT. You can count on your fingers how many on this board are capable to do this.

In the 951 world where agressive timing/boost, water/meth injection and modern billet wheel turbo technology is treated like witchcraft it will have a very limited future.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:05 AM
joster86turbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by pole position
In the 951 world where agressive timing/boost, water/meth injection and modern billet wheel turbo technology is treated like witchcraft it will have a very limited future.
. . . Blasphemy!... DEVIL!!!!!!!!!!

someone lynch this man for speaking about such outlandish, sorcery!!

Old 03-11-2011, 11:51 AM
BoostBuggy
Pro

@ehall

Street/Track with a reasonable balance between the two. For example I'm upgrading various parts of the suspension with delrin bushing but certainly don't want to go to spearical for obvious street reasons. Not looking for huge HP #'s. That said enough is never enough but I will not completely sracifice the DD aspect of the car. And of course I do the maintenance items before the go-gast goodies. For that matter I have been working on suspension before engine related go fast goodies
Old 03-11-2011, 12:01 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

@ehall

Street/Track with a reasonable balance between the two. For example I'm upgrading various parts of the suspension with delrin bushing but certainly don't want to go to spearical for obvious street reasons. Not looking for huge HP #'s. That said enough is never enough but I will not completely sracifice the DD aspect of the car. And of course I do the maintenance items before the go-gast goodies. For that matter I have been working on suspension before engine related go fast goodies
Sounds good. In that case, set a hp/performance goal and then plan what you need to support that. Short of a freakish performance level, you can do exactly what you want with bolt ons. Vittesse and Lindsey both have turbo kits. SFR may as well. You'll be best off to go with software and hardware form a single source. Most people who get into trouble mix and match lots of gear or cut corners.
LR sells more hardware gear, as does SFR. Vittesse is still where I would immediately go for a turbo/software/maf kit.

Quick Reply: 86 951 Upgrade suggestions - Parts, Vendors & What Order