Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

86 951 Upgrade suggestions - Parts, Vendors & What Order

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 03:33 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
First thing I'd do is a MAF conversion. Rogue and Vitesse are the only ones of which I'm aware that change the code to make it a true MAF, rather than trying to force a MAF signal into a strategy written for what is essentially a volume signal. The two systems have some differences, I'd recommend contactinng each one for details (you can do a search here, too, there have been some recent discussions).

The reason I say that's the first thing I'd do is because it is about the only thing you can do that hasn't been done that will both reduce lag, and make more power.

As for turbos - well, those are like women. Everyone has different preferences, and there are pretty ones and ugly ones. And the source of much debate!
Has anyone done any direct, side-by-side comparison of the Vitesse (or Rogue, though it's not released yet) MAF vs. the Lindsey MAF? I'd be curious to see the performance of each. While I don't argue that a MAF will certainly help with spool up (less restriction in the intake) - I'd be willing to bet that a good chunk of the gain comes from the software and not the MAF itself. My theory is that the Vitesse/Rogue MAFs will show much more "area under the curve" than, say, a Lindsey MAF.

The sweetness in the Rogue and Vitesse software (I'm fairly certain the Vitesse software follows the same idealogy) isn't so much *just* that it's "true MAF software" - it's the rest of the work going on. Complete new code and strategy, multiple tables and inputs for each driving condition based on load and not just based on RPM. It's not doctored OEM tables - it's all new.

IIRC Vitesse and Rogue are the only two offering this. The other MAFs out there operate within the same limitations of the stock software - which is old, outdated stuff (realize that DME controlled fuel injection was new technology back then!) I'd be willing to bet that the software is where you're going to see most of the improved drivability... not the MAF sensor itself.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:35 AM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pretty soon Miller will release a MAF conversion with their WAR chip for the 944 Turbo - I would wait for this as the capabilities of the WAR chip alone will allow you to fine tune the ignition & fuel curves with your laptop without the use of a piggyback.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:39 AM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Who is "Miller?" Do they have a web site?

BTW, these types of responses were exactly what I was looking for and are being VERY helpful as I begin to plan things out.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:38 AM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Thx for the link 944CS. It does make me curious as to how the Miller system will compare to the Rogue and/or Vitresse setups. I realize it's premature as the Miller kit for the 951 is not even out yet but from reading the site, does anyone with more knowledge than I on MAFs (probably many!) have any comment(s)?
Old 03-10-2011, 10:58 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by autokurl
Thx for the link 944CS. It does make me curious as to how the Miller system will compare to the Rogue and/or Vitresse setups. I realize it's premature as the Miller kit for the 951 is not even out yet but from reading the site, does anyone with more knowledge than I on MAFs (probably many!) have any comment(s)?
What link? I'd love to comment, but I can't find out anything about the above mentioned system (and it may be hard to tell from the website).
Old 03-10-2011, 11:13 AM
BoostBuggy
Pro

The link for the Miller 944 page is http://millerperformancecars.com/ind...mart&Itemid=30
Old 03-10-2011, 11:24 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by autokurl
The link for the Miller 944 page is http://millerperformancecars.com/ind...mart&Itemid=30
I have no idea. The link doesn't say anything that would give me any kind of idea.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could always go "maf-less" and have no intake restrictions at all...
either a MAP based piggy back
or a whole new ECU. For either one you would have to like the tuning aspect of an engine to take that route.

If you want something simple to install... rogues tuning true maf code software.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:57 AM
944CS
Drifting

the real reason you'd want to go with Miller's is this:

http://millerperformancecars.com/war-chip.html
Old 03-10-2011, 02:36 PM
hevquip
Racer

If this was posted in the general 924/944/951/968 section and not in the 944 Turbo section, this thread wouldn't have gone on long before Odurandina told you that the best way to get horsepower and reliability is to rip the engine out and shove an LSx block in there.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:40 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

;-)
Old 03-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

I would suggest you consider rebuilding the bottom half as you said it's a 200k mile engine. It will be much cheaper prior to throwing a rod thru your block. Then mod it and it will be able to handle the increased stresses.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:57 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

That sounds like a very reasonable suggestions. Thx.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hevquip
If this was posted in the general 924/944/951/968 section and not in the 944 Turbo section, this thread wouldn't have gone on long before Odurandina told you that the best way to get horsepower and reliability is to rip the engine out and shove an LSx block in there.
I love the reliability argument there. There are hundreds if not thousands of 944/951 cars running around with hundreds of thousands of miles on them. Which in reality have been mostly reliable over that last 25 +/- years.

In contrast there are maybe a hundred or so LSx cars running around. None of which have the EXACT same combo of parts, most of which only have a few thousand miles on them at most, and only a handfull with maybe 10-20K miles on them.

Hardly enough data to *Really* be a fair comparison.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:33 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

FWIW, I'm not interested in a LS swap. While I can understand the various benefits, i.e. weight, hp, availability to performance parts at lesser prices, etc. I have no interest in this. For me (don't flame me for this, it is simply my personal opinion) a Porsche with an LS is no longer a Porsche. It may well be a fun track car and work that purpose extremely well, maybe even better than the 951, but to me it's no longer a Porsche.

Quick Reply: 86 951 Upgrade suggestions - Parts, Vendors & What Order