View Poll Results: Belt covers or not?
Yes. Always!
30.00%
Nope! Screw it!
50.00%
MMMMM....Bolgna sandwich!
20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Belt covers or NOT belt covers? DISCUSS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 02:22 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Belt covers or NOT belt covers? DISCUSS!

I'm trying to decide.
I run all of the under car pans etc. My car is for the street only. I put on about 5 to 7k a year, in milage. I also use my batwing. All belts, rollers, WP, coolant hoses are brand new. I check fluids damned near daily as it is.
My feeling is that the value of consistent visual inspection outweighs the value of belt covers, which obscure one's ability to properly inspect a most vital system, though they do provide a shield from F.O.D.
I "think" that I'd prefer to "F.O.D. walk" my engine and take the initiative than to have blind faith in my belt covers.

OKAY! DISCUSS!
Old 03-04-2011, 02:38 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the belt covers are a PITA, more so with stock cooling and turbo cooling. dry turbo, not so bad and if you cut out the bottom of the back cover about 4" under the timing and BS gears, then changing belts with stock covers is not that bad.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:40 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't run them. Haven't for about 30k miles. Dirt roads, highway, puddles... No problem.

You're absolutely right... Its great to be able to check the belt every time you check the oil. I also have a balance shaft leak, so not having the covers on allows me to clean the belts and block at the carwash.

I have thought about putting the covers back on when I swap engines though....
Old 03-04-2011, 02:44 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

interesting so far. Thanks. I'm looking to hear lots of opinions and experiences.

lol. That's all I do now. What a Marine! I'd go back to being a squad leader in a heart beat!
Old 03-04-2011, 02:47 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm WOO - waiting on Obama, and the rest of his appointed BOEM A$$holes to get some permits issued so we can go back to work. I've reviewed documents until by eyeballs hurt. RL and Autotrader my only salvation at nights here in the bridge.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:03 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran no belt covers on my n/a and the front end of the engine was a mess, i did however daily drive that car even during the winter. Ive been debating doing it whenever i get my 951 back together as i drive the car so infrequently nowdays only during nice weather. It still makes me a bit nervous of something random (i have no idea what) falling into that belt drive when its running. Usually what i end up doing is running the rear cover and leaving the top one off until i do the retension..but that ends up into me just leaving that top cover off indefinite.

Bret, i do the same thing on the back watch.. refresh RL and browsing the Manheim auctions. I am surprised i havent bought another car already. Had a nice face palm moment yesterday, got the news i am probably going to be stuck on my ATB another 2 weeks or so. Atleast it was taco night.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:04 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
I'm trying to decide.
I run all of the under car pans etc. My car is for the street only. I put on about 5 to 7k a year, in milage. I also use my batwing. All belts, rollers, WP, coolant hoses are brand new. I check fluids damned near daily as it is.
My feeling is that the value of consistent visual inspection outweighs the value of belt covers, which obscure one's ability to properly inspect a most vital system, though they do provide a shield from F.O.D.
I "think" that I'd prefer to "F.O.D. walk" my engine and take the initiative than to have blind faith in my belt covers.

OKAY! DISCUSS!
I am leaving mine off, at least until the first 2000 mile adjustment But if all goes well maybe forever
Old 03-04-2011, 03:51 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You two swabbies are breakin my heart! I came out of retirement for this goat fu(k. I'm pulling duty in the head shed or B.S. Division SSDO, or NCOIC of intel watch. It's a fat load of field grade grabassers and Brigadier wannabe's! Rank has lots of privileges, but no relevance as a fu(king POG.

Anyway, about those covers, Bret. do you run them on the race car?
Old 03-04-2011, 04:10 AM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NO belt covers! 3 years and 40,000 abused miles including road trips (12 hours straight on one trip), track time, city driving, stuck 4 hours in a traffic jam on a 90' day, and two trips last year north through *gasp* snow which obviously was unplanned.

No issues ever.

I like the quick t belt changes and being able to inspect the belts often. The lower pans keep rocks and road junk away from the belts.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:54 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

No covers at all on the race car. Speaking of it, going back under the knife: 2.5 out, stroked 2.8L in.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:57 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jon, send your resume back in on the website if you want. New rig going to Mexico, 5 year contract, which means +25%. New US guidelines they HAVE to take the ones off the website first, then WE can ADD our comments. Let me know PM if you do, I'll give Angie a ring.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

George Buselink goes commando, too with no problems.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the "belt cover delete" kit when I did mine. The weight savings were cool, but the kit price sealed the deal.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

As Clint Eastwood says, "Do you feel luck, punk?" I've found too much unusual debris in odd places to risk it.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:45 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm something random would be some red neck throwing out a beer can and it bouncing around and hitting the fan belt and taking out your radiator! Happened to me on my lowered mini truck! No belly pan.

Quick Reply: Belt covers or NOT belt covers? DISCUSS!