Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New shifter!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Dea_944t
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice interior.
Are the black carpets the original ones?

/Dea
Old 05-07-2011, 02:36 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ali4
Hi Curt I like your arm rest delete. Where did you get the nice clean black piece to go where the arm rest is? Looks like a rubber center.
It's a rubber insert. I bought the 968CS coin tray and rubber insert from Sunset Porsche.

Originally Posted by Dea_944t
Nice interior.
Are the black carpets the original ones?
No. The car originally had gray/beige carpet. The carpet is Feintuft (German wool carpet) from World Upholstery.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:54 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Curt,

I just placed an order with 9Products for their short shifter. I have a lot of slop side to side and it looks like my shifter is worn down on the end.

In your pictures you mention bushings that go on the end of the shift rod, are they included with the 9Products shifter or is that something I need to source elsewhere?

Thanks much.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:26 AM
CurtP
Drifting

You'll need to source the bushings elsewhere, but they're cheap. Porsche part number 999-924-002-40. You will have to bore the hole in your shift rod in order to use them. I know some people have been able to do it in place, but I'd recommend removing the shift rod and doing it off the car. If you do attempt to do it with the rod installed, make sure you secure the rod as well as possible to keep it from moving while drilling.

For the bit to bore the hole, I recommend McMaster part number 2973A38. It's a straight-flute .4531" carbide tipped bit. It leaves a very smooth bore compared to a standard drill bit.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:49 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks as always Curt, I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Last edited by gregeast; 06-02-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Rob 3
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Watching with interest
Old 06-03-2011, 07:51 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CurtP
Links at the top of the post.

The addition of the bushings in the shift rod really tightened up the shifter and I love the feel. There is still little bit of play in the linkage on the transmission, but I haven't decided what to do back there - if anything. I don't like the Schnell type for various reasons. I do like the one from deutschnine, but they're expensive, they won't return my emails and it still doesn't address the pivot linkage.
Shark motorsport in Germany manufacture a lot of the parts D9 sell, I have their gearbox linkage on my 91 turbo.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Supachink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curt,

how much does the bushing sit outside of the shift rod? I have the lindsey style handle and it seems that the main portion of my buzzing is coming from the rod vibrating against the handle rather then the shifter bolt. I have the style where there are two c-clips holding the pin in the shifter assembly, do you think this would be a solution?

P.s. I liked your arm rest delete so much, I called up sunset last night and ordered one ,
Old 06-03-2011, 09:54 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Originally Posted by blade7
Shark motorsport in Germany manufacture a lot of the parts D9 sell, I have their gearbox linkage on my 91 turbo.
Thanks for the heads up. I found it: http://www.shark-motorsport.de/index...e&cat=26&f=109
I'll have to see if I can contact them to order one. How do you like it? Any complaints?

Originally Posted by Supachink
how much does the bushing sit outside of the shift rod? I have the lindsey style handle and it seems that the main portion of my buzzing is coming from the rod vibrating against the handle rather then the shifter bolt. I have the style where there are two c-clips holding the pin in the shifter assembly, do you think this would be a solution?
Not much. On my shifter, it's a tight fit to get it inside the shifter. IIRC, I had to do just a little filing on the sides of the rod to get it to fit with the bushings in place. How much gap do you have now? If you use the bushings and you can't get it to fit inside the shifter, you can always file down the sides of the shift rod like I did. Is the buzzing coming from there or your shift ****? I've heard some people complain about the Momo ***** making noise too.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:25 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fancy, schmancy 9Products shifter on is on it's way!

I think I'll try it first w/o the bushings and then go from there. More to come...
Old 06-03-2011, 01:25 PM
CurtP
Drifting

What are you doing about a shift boot? Redline will make modifications to their pattern to make you one that fits correctly. I had tried to use a standard boot trimmed down with my prototype shifter, but there was way too much bunching.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:37 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good question, guess I'll cross that bridge once I get the shifter. I'm retaining my stock **** (well, hot rodded Carrera GT/917 wannabe stock ****) so I think the boot I have will work ok.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Supachink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its a pretty tight fit already, im not sure if the **** might be buzzing, i dont think so, as it has the derlin insert which i had to bore out ever so slightly to get it to fit on the shift handle. Ill check out the bushing and report back. i know you said you have to source it out somewhere else, where would be the best place?
Old 06-03-2011, 02:22 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CurtP
Thanks for the heads up. I found it: http://www.shark-motorsport.de/index...e&cat=26&f=109
I'll have to see if I can contact them to order one. How do you like it? Any complaints?
You're welcome, it's a well made piece though as expected it increased shift effort slightly, I bought it half price from a guy that had never fitted it, I suspect because he didn't have a puller to get the old linkage off. A rose jointed stay across the top of the gearbox would finish it off nicely.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:48 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Originally Posted by gregeast
Good question, guess I'll cross that bridge once I get the shifter. I'm retaining my stock **** (well, hot rodded Carrera GT/917 wannabe stock ****) so I think the boot I have will work ok.
Ah, I thought you were getting the threaded shaft shifter like mine. If you're going with the one that uses the factory ****, you won't have to do anything to your existing boot.

Quick Reply: New shifter!