New shifter!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:34 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the compliments everyone

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
That shifter looks just like a lindsey racing unit?
Quite a few differences. Lindsey's uses a Momo **** (which uses setscrews to hold it on), O-rings to isolate the pin to keep it from buzzing and C-clips to hold the pin in place. I'm not about the adjustable pivot - it looks like it's threaded with two set screws to hold it in position. There also appears to be a stainless bushing pressed in where the pin goes through. I'm not sure how tall the Lindsey one is either - it looks to be close to the factory height.

Mine has bolts that screw into the ends of the pin, a relief for shift rod clearance, threads for a shift ****, is considerably shorter than the factory setup and the adjustable pivot isn't threaded. I chose the one I did because I had a idea on how I wanted it, and they allowed me to tailor it to exactly what I wanted. I preferred the overall design of this one.

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Car looks beautiful. Very clean. Love that interior color
On another note...
See a PM I am sending you
Best regards
Ed
Thanks Ed. I responded to your PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:53 AM
944Phil
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet, the stitching brings it all together.
You interior looks amazing too, what radio is that?
Also what have you used instead of the lid on the center console?
Phil
Old 02-21-2011, 01:26 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey Curt, I noticed your heater control looks graphic is different than mine, yours is colored in I think a gradating of blue, mine uses number in Celsius. Did you do something fancy there or is that maybe a later model year change?
Old 02-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeast
Hey Curt, I noticed your heater control looks graphic is different than mine, yours is colored in I think a gradating of blue, mine uses number in Celsius. Did you do something fancy there or is that maybe a later model year change?
http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI...key_1222096123
Old 02-22-2011, 09:30 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Originally Posted by 944Phil
Sweet, the stitching brings it all together.
You interior looks amazing too, what radio is that?
Also what have you used instead of the lid on the center console?
Thanks Phil. The radio is a Becker Traffic Pro which I bought NIB from SW Stereo. While it does have GPS built in, it isn't very good by today's standards. The latest map update available is from 2003. But I didn't buy it for its GPS capabilities.

That's the 968CS coin tray and rubber insert. I got tired of replacing the hinged tray just for it to break again and I wanted a clean look.

I think you're the first person to notice. As Scott has already pointed out, it came from 944online. The mounting holes in mine were broken, but I didn't want to spend the money on a rebuilt/new one since mine worked fine. I'm also very careful with the new one - I don't tighten the screws all the way down. They're barely "snug". Only tight enough to hold the controls flat to the dash.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Den951
Intermediate

I have to say that your shifter looks great, I have the lindsey racing shifter in my car and it was factory height if not taller. I fixed mine the cheep way, it does not look as nice as yours but I like how it turned out.
Attached Images   
Old 02-23-2011, 01:33 AM
Acetylene
Pro

Very nice, very tasteful.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:35 AM
CurtP
Drifting

I thought I'd give a quick update since I've been driving the car quite a bit. The amount of play that's coming from the shift linkage on the transaxle is minimal. I'm not even going to worry about it for now. The 9products shifter has been flawless - no rattles, no buzzing. I have readjusted the shift boot so now the stitches go all the way up to the **** and it looks better.

The shifter and Constantine's Super torque tube bearings are my favorite modifications I've done to this car.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:18 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CurtP
I have readjusted the shift boot so now the stitches go all the way up to the **** and it looks better.
It's not real w/o pictures
Old 03-16-2011, 12:54 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not real w/o pictures
I will say, this shifter looks even better in person than Curts pictures let on... it really is a work of art!
Old 03-16-2011, 10:35 PM
tritone75
Instructor

nice job. get the schnell also. you'll be in heaven with the tight, clean throws.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:52 PM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

I had an opportunity to see CurtP's 951 over the weekend. He has put a lot of time and effort in his car and it's first class all the way!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:38 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Question: did the new shifter he made change the geometry of the linkage or simply lower the shift **** on the shaft? Basically, is the connection of the shift shaft to the transmission at a higher or lower point on the new shifter or simply lowering the ****?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:13 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
Question: did the new shifter he made change the geometry of the linkage or simply lower the shift **** on the shaft? Basically, is the connection of the shift shaft to the transmission at a higher or lower point on the new shifter or simply lowering the ****?
The distance from the lower pivot to the shifter rod pin is adjustable. Out of the box, that distance is greater than the factory setup which will reduce the shift throw. I trimmed the lower pivot so I could drop the entire height of the shifter, which put the pivots closer to the factory spacing, so my shift throw is reduced by overall shifter height, not pivot spacing.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:48 AM
ali4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Curt I like your arm rest delete. Where did you get the nice clean black piece to go where the arm rest is? Looks like a rubber center.

Quick Reply: New shifter!