Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Bummer...

Bummer….

I dropped by the ‘Secret Test Facility’ to pick up my recent batch of Fidenza flywheels from the balancing machine only to find that the record snows up here have taken their toll.

I refer to this place as the ‘Secret Test Facility’ because its so far out in the woods that nobody knows its there. No signs and its not visible from the county road. Last weekend it rained briefly before turning back to snow and the rain was soaked up by the snow on the roof and overloaded the trusses.

You can see the garage door that is the entry to the dyno cell, the extra large 4 post lift under the snow on the right. From where I took the picture I would have still been inside the building…..

Unfortunately the dyno owners 3 axle enclosed trailer took a hit as well as some of his track cars. He is already thinking of a bigger and better building – but that might take a while….its still snowing!
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Ouch! Very sorry to hear!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 10:45 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow. Quite a mess. I'm guessing/hoping no one was hurt.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:59 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats sucks
Old 02-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ouch.
We know how you feel. we've got floods, fires and a cyclone in a week!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:12 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow, that's terrible, fingers crossed his insurance will help him out.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:29 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FAQ!!!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by chrenan
Wow, that's terrible, fingers crossed his insurance will help him out.
The building is covered...but not the contents, not to much damage to the contents but it sure will be a pain for business!
Old 02-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Not throwing rocks but if use a steel building frame they are engineered for spec. load. Not that wood isn't a great product but just saying when goes back. A bit more slope plus dark color works well too in snow load areas. Just saying from experience at place up in NM mountains.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:58 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They sure don't build them like they used to. Sorry, I couldn't resist that one. I never liked that saying.

I know how they feel, though. A huge tree crashed through my mother's house and landed in the living room putting a 20 foot by 10 foot hole in the roof and ruining the newly installed and finished hardwood floor. It's now forever referred to as the treehouse.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Own Goal
Not throwing rocks but if use a steel building frame they are engineered for spec. load. Not that wood isn't a great product but just saying when goes back. A bit more slope plus dark color works well too in snow load areas. Just saying from experience at place up in NM mountains.
Yep, that true – but there is a factor of 2 price difference!

Dark colors don’t help much here….we don’t see the sun much during winter, and once you have a couple of feet of snow on the roof the color doesn’t matter much anymore!

Typically we have snow on the roofs for much of winter, this last week end is rained (fairly rare in Jan/feb around here) and the snow just soaked up the extra weight. Then it went back to snowing.
The part of the building the collapsed was mostly storage area so it is not built as well as the shop area.

BTW – its 5 degrees out right now….and half an hour north of me it snowed 24” last night!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:27 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If he needs a great disaster restoration company to help him with the settlement and rebuild have him give me a call Chris, that is what I do (disasterman is not just about burning race cars!). Licensed in 32 states including New York.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:57 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Didn't realize a red iron frame would be that much. Muller has kits and components most places around the country. Or, around these parts the old drill stem pole barn was popular....till drilling took off again. In NM we have a place up at 8,600' in town and faces the South side of the valley. This is referred to as the sunny side of the valley. A nice slope and dark roof sheets (we like Tahoe Blue) does wonders for snow melt and warm up. Then again a lot of snow but a lot of sunny days with very thin air. Plus this year the added bonus of rolling gas outages. Back old part of place has gas floor furnace. Going up next few weeks to meet plumber about all those frozen and busted pipes. I don't like cold wx anymore.

Quick Reply: Bummer...