Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

v8 swap done, and fired up, finally

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:38 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v8 swap done, and fired up, finally

I havent been around for ages, was kinda fedup with the 944 etc, so bought a few other cars, toys and whatnot, then sold again, and Im now back, decided to kick it in gear and did more in 1 week now, than most of 2011, so it fired up today.

lets start with the funpart, starting it, forgetting to charge battery, check, garage buddies stealing all my 5w40 5w50 etc, check.. .only finding old 10w30 mineral? sure that will do inside my garage at +5c.. check!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz9LTrxHNO4

getting engine in was easy

getting enough clearance sucked, honestly its just so tight, and I want to plate underside of car.

this was not as pretty first 2 times I made the exxhaust..

someone suggested flexpipes so I did that as an afterthought

cooling, since I have no ic, I now have very nicely cooled oil cooler

fuel, an crimp fittings on the hardlines, seriously what a pain in the yarrr

summing it up

we have noise regulations on track, all the mufflers are straight thru design, but wow, quiet when testing it.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:23 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

looks like a great install. I love how the exhaust it routed and how it is clean. Sounds good. make sure to post some driving videos when its ready
Old 02-06-2011, 11:39 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by anders44
fuel, an crimp fittings on the hardlines, seriously what a pain in the yarrr
i feel you on that, SS lines are a pain in the ***...they are pretty indestructible though and look nice.

car looks well done. looking forward to more videos.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:24 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Anders, any chance you remember the dimensions of that oil cooler? That is exactly what i had been thinking of doing with mine. Just need to figure out the best way to route the lines under the nose panel.

Great work on the swap, the exhaust looks great. I have been tempted to go to the darkside also . Maybe next year depending how things work out with the stock 2.5 this year.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:55 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
i feel you on that, SS lines are a pain in the ***...they are pretty indestructible though and look nice.

car looks well done. looking forward to more videos.
actually -6 SS lines are quite nice to work with, I was reffering to the crimp fittings I mounted in the 8 and 10mm fuel pipes.

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Anders, any chance you remember the dimensions of that oil cooler? That is exactly what i had been thinking of doing with mine. Just need to figure out the best way to route the lines under the nose panel.

Great work on the swap, the exhaust looks great. I have been tempted to go to the darkside also . Maybe next year depending how things work out with the stock 2.5 this year.
60 row heavy duty mocal

I route hoses down the side in front of bumper as you can see, will need to cut out some of the plastic, as it sits with its mount just in front of the bar there

don't mind the ugly mounts, just had to quick rig everything to test fitment with nosepanel

here is the backside, I got it lowerd down so much that its on the edge, where the actual air flows through. I placed it up here, because then it does not interfere with radiator flow, as I need a good flow to keep water temps down. oil thermostat is 101c, dunno how it will work out, hopefully good.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:27 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

looks cool Anders! i really want to drive one of these V8 conversions one day. the low down torque must be fantastic
Sean
Old 02-08-2011, 04:58 PM
2bridges
Drifting

bitchin oil cooler install!

you planning to run oil thermostat?

When researching with mocal cooler for my LS6 vette they suggested NOT using such a large cooler unless a dedicated race car or hot climate car or oil temps will never reach temp for street use.

Just mentioning it in case you had not considered it - Looks like a ball of fun!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:45 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

yep.

y-pipe.

beautiful.

Goodwrench me..

beautiful.

y-pipe.

yep.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:33 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Hurry up , Stockholm Duke is waiting ......
Old 02-08-2011, 10:41 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude... that's a very nice install all the way up to the point of the 2 into 1 exhaust.

You are giving up a lot of top end power with that setup. These engines like duel 2.5" with H pipes... to the tune of about 15-20RWHP.

Nice job though...

TonyG
Old 02-09-2011, 02:50 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i'll try to run a smoother Y-pipe into 3 1/4" single no cats, 3/5/3 hollow chamber resonator and the 4" in/out hooker.

Attached Images   
Old 02-09-2011, 03:49 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Hey nice to see you back Anders...even if you've crossed to the darkside hehe. The workmanship looks great too. It will be a totally different car to drive and as we can see from Tony's exploits they seem to work out very well.

You'll have to get some track video too. Hope you can get your's done before Gustaf has to pull the motor out of the Green Hunter, then maybe we can see a match race between a 3L and V8. That would be something!!
Old 02-09-2011, 04:33 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

yes on the oil thermostat, I have a 101c canton oil thermostat, which is HUGE and prooving a PITA to mount, worse case I just grab a tiny setrab 80c.

to tonyg, thanks on the input, the main goal for the exhaust was to get it as high into the chasiss as I could possibly get to run plates for aerodynamics under it, and kill noise. when car is done I might make a new system for it. To increase power Im looking at, a 515 trickflow or vengance kit, but also open to suggestions, se you bought an ls6? . Im in process of trying to get it approved with the authority here.. which is to say the least, a pita.

we have quite stricts laws on track theese days, actually way stricter than pulic highway use, 90db at 3500 rpm, and 95 on mondays

Last edited by anders44; 02-09-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:53 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anders44
yes on the oil thermostat, I have a 101c canton oil thermostat, which is HUGE and prooving a PITA to mount, worse case I just grab a tiny setrab 80c.

to tonyg, thanks on the input, the main goal for the exhaust was to get it as high into the chasiss as I could possibly get to run plates for aerodynamics under it, and kill noise. when car is done I might make a new system for it. To increase power Im looking at, a 515 trickflow or vengance kit, but also open to suggestions, se you bought an ls6? . Im in process of trying to get it approved with the authority here.. which is to say the least, a pita.

we have quite stricts laws on track theese days, actually way stricter than pulic highway use, 90db at 3500 rpm, and 95 on mondays
Just an FYI... I have the dual 2.5 with "H" pipe setup with dual Magnaflow mufflers (straight through) and for some reason, the car amazingly quiet. Almost too quiet. You can't hear the car coming down the straight. It easily passes the Laguna Seca 92db noise restriction (under full throttle).

As far as power goes... you need the right cam and a good set of heads. There are a lot of heads out there, but if I was going to spend the money... it would be a set of AFR's for sure.

BTW.... who's the chick in the avatar?

TonyG
Old 02-09-2011, 12:09 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

For heads, it's tough to beat these:
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=84&catid=20

The AFR's flow another 10cfm intake and 25cfm exhaust, but they also cost 2x as much. (Although, the PRC heads were flowed without a pipe on the exhaust--so that could easily cut the difference down to ~15cfm.)

And i disagree with Tony--these engines like exhaust flow, but they don't care if it's dual or single. A single 3.5" is no different on paper than a dual 2.5" and it fits easily under the car. I moved to a spintech 3.5" muffler and it sounds great.

Quick Reply: v8 swap done, and fired up, finally