Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

v8 swap done, and fired up, finally

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 01:16 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a lot of the setup, is done to try and get the engine swapped approved by DMV, if it all goes down badly... who knows what will happen, probably drop the mild, and go wild.

whats your guys "ideal" engine, say on a 5 and 10k budget? to avoid transmission killing I guess more rpm, more power at higher rpm. and less torque is ideal, so no boost applications is ideal.

how often do you guys use your LS porsches? I havent even driven mine, and loving it over stock engine allready.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:27 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anders44
a lot of the setup, is done to try and get the engine swapped approved by DMV, if it all goes down badly... who knows what will happen, probably drop the mild, and go wild.

whats your guys "ideal" engine, say on a 5 and 10k budget? to avoid transmission killing I guess more rpm, more power at higher rpm. and less torque is ideal, so no boost applications is ideal.

how often do you guys use your LS porsches? I havent even driven mine, and loving it over stock engine allready.
I race mine probably 10x per year (10 events equals about 25 actual races of duration between 30-45 minutes each, the same number of qualifying sessions, and at least 25 practice sessions), plus several "test and tune" days with an open track playing with the car's setup, then a few days a year of track sessions with various clubs in a non-race but open passing scenario.

So yeah... I get a ton of track time with my car.

As far as power goes, get a dual exhaust no cats, a good cam/spring/retainer package, a larger throttle body, and an LS6 intake with a good tune. That should get you 375-390RWHP.

That's enough power to stay up with every car you'll ever encounter on the track except some of the factory race cars (Cup Cars, race GT3's, Viper ACR's, etc...) And even then, assuming you're running real slicks, you'll be within a couple of seconds of those cars.

TonyG
Old 02-09-2011, 04:17 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

I drive mine every day, except when the weather turns nasty. It's not that i couldn't drive it in the nasty weather, it's just that i have a Cherokee for those kinds of days. No sense getting it all dirty

Personally i think 400 +/- rwhp is a good goal for these cars with the v8. Plenty of power, but beyond that you have a ticking time bomb, and probably no traction....

The combo TonyG listed is great. A single pattern (224/224 or 230/230) cam will give you lots of midrange. A single 3.5" exhaust is way better than duals though
Old 02-09-2011, 10:11 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by LS1Porch
I drive mine every day, except when the weather turns nasty. It's not that i couldn't drive it in the nasty weather, it's just that i have a Cherokee for those kinds of days. No sense getting it all dirty

Personally i think 400 +/- rwhp is a good goal for these cars with the v8. Plenty of power, but beyond that you have a ticking time bomb, and probably no traction....

The combo TonyG listed is great. A single pattern (224/224 or 230/230) cam will give you lots of midrange. A single 3.5" exhaust is way better than duals though
Here's the scan of the cam card of the cam I use. It is a MTI pattern, ground by Comp Cams. This is an excellent cam for a mild LSx engine. I highly recommend it and would use it all over again. This cam makes 390RWHP on stock long block, cammed, header/exhaust, LS6 intake, larger throttle body, tuned PCM engine (basically a stock cammed engine with usual bolt-ons...).

MTI is no longer in business. But you can have Comp Cams or any other cam grinder, duplicate this exact cam with these specs.

Here it is:

And here's the corresponding dyno sheet:

TonyG
Old 02-09-2011, 11:54 PM
968ls1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dual exhaust is not a 15-20hp gain over a good single, I have a single 3.5 that made 398rwhp with ported 243 heads and a 224-226 114cl 585 lift cam. Same engine in a early camaro with full length headers and 3" duals made 401rwhp. Single is a lot lighter and easy to remove/install if necessary.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:08 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by 968ls1
Dual exhaust is not a 15-20hp gain over a good single, I have a single 3.5 that made 398rwhp with ported 243 heads and a 224-226 114cl 585 lift cam. Same engine in a early camaro with full length headers and 3" duals made 401rwhp. Single is a lot lighter and easy to remove/install if necessary.
2 things wrong with that analogy:

1) The Camaro and the 944 have different drive line losses. That alone can skew the results an easy 10-20Hp based on just a couple of percentage points of drive line loss difference.

2) A ported set of 243 heads flow a LOT more than a set of stock 241 heads. Easily to the tune 40+ hp.

I have have dynoed, on the same dyno, on the same car, the dual 2.5" with H pipe vs the 3" Y into a 3" single (yes it's not a 3.5" single). The difference was about 18RWHP.

Remember... I made 389RWHP on a set of bone stock 241 heads (which flow less than stock 243 heads, and a lot less than a set of ported 243 heads) with a dual 2.5" H exhaust.

As far as removal goes... My dual setup is basically 1 piece. 1 hanger in the rear, 1 hanger in the middle. The H pipe connects the front together. The two mufflers are welded together. And before the H pipe are two flex joints. Takes me about 5 minutes to remove the whole thing.

TonyG
Old 02-10-2011, 12:29 AM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TonyG
2 things wrong with that analogy:

1) The Camaro and the 944 have different drive line losses. That alone can skew the results an easy 10-20Hp based on just a couple of percentage points of drive line loss difference.

2) A ported set of 243 heads flow a LOT more than a set of stock 241 heads. Easily to the tune 40+ hp.

I have have dynoed, on the same dyno, on the same car, the dual 2.5" with H pipe vs the 3" Y into a 3" single (yes it's not a 3.5" single). The difference was about 18RWHP.

Remember... I made 389RWHP on a set of bone stock 241 heads (which flow less than stock 243 heads, and a lot less than a set of ported 243 heads) with a dual 2.5" H exhaust.

As far as removal goes... My dual setup is basically 1 piece. 1 hanger in the rear, 1 hanger in the middle. The H pipe connects the front together. The two mufflers are welded together. And before the H pipe are two flex joints. Takes me about 5 minutes to remove the whole thing.

TonyG
We don't need to have this argument again. You're bench racing. All you can definitively say is that a 3" single was costing you 18rwhp. That has absolutely nothing to do with a 3.5" single exhaust.

I'm glad you're happy with your mandrel 2.5" duals. For the rest of us, the single is cheaper, cleaner, and lighter.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:41 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by LS1Porch
We don't need to have this argument again. You're bench racing. All you can definitively say is that a 3" single was costing you 18rwhp. That has absolutely nothing to do with a 3.5" single exhaust.

I'm glad you're happy with your mandrel 2.5" duals. For the rest of us, the single is cheaper, cleaner, and lighter.
Racers either race, or bench race. But they are always racing... at least in their heads...

TonyG
Old 02-10-2011, 02:12 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

all i can say is that dual pipes running under tony's 944 is a wicked sight...and it makes your ears bleed with joy
Old 02-10-2011, 12:45 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TonyG
Racers either race, or bench race. But they are always racing... at least in their heads...

TonyG
Hahah, fair enough

I didn't realize you were running a split/reverse pattern cam. Interesting!
Old 02-12-2011, 11:48 AM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by anders44
how often do you guys use your LS porsches?
Everyday all day.

Have you driven it yet? I visited Kongsvinger not too long ago. What a beautiful country. That NOK was killing me...$35 for a cheeseburger!

Anyway, back to work and drive that beast.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:59 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

well I can choose slicks, rain slicks and R spec tires from my arsenal, I did drive it on snow/ice before on thoose, not that good I must say. and I kind of need to buy a new suspension as I let my friends borrow parts from me

right now I'm in swiss alps, nice and sunny, but 0 snow for months! in norway, we have gotten 2 feet of snow! last 3 days.. all while we have been here :/ so quite eager to get back.

hopefully it was a good cheeseburger?

only thing hotter than our country is the girl eh? kongsvinger is a very weird place to visit. why did you go there?

Quick Reply: v8 swap done, and fired up, finally