Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

16v vs 8v head turbo application - max static compression ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:21 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

anybody know the flowrate of the stock turbo auxiliary water pump...hell, you could keep pretty much the stock wiring in place just plumb the pump to the engine rather than the turbo and circulate water after engine shutdown...
Old 01-23-2011, 09:20 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can't understand why you would suggest that ?
is it just too coll and engine thats gone a bit over temp ?
the water pump may run on after shut down to stop oil coking in the turbo bearing as the electric oil pump did in the ol 300zx.
the only way I can imagine the little pump could help modify or upgrade the colling system is perhaps use it to pump extra coolant into the back of the head
but that set up has a few ifs involved .
Old 01-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
anybody know the flowrate of the stock turbo auxiliary water pump...hell, you could keep pretty much the stock wiring in place just plumb the pump to the engine rather than the turbo and circulate water after engine shutdown...
It would work OK today. Its -5f outside today and I think the turbo pump could keep up with the cooling requirements at idle.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:33 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

I almost have my undergrad in engineering, but I wouldn't say that the solid lifter project I just did for the 16V head was "engineered". It was really more machinists work. I measured and cut a lot of stuff over and over and over...haah Oh and being a mechanic for that last little bit that was assembly. In fact for all the machine element design textbooks I have, I never cracked a single one open and looked at the cam and follwer sections.

Some things are best done 'dirty hands'. Not with a pencil and paper, I certainly still did some design work though.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:10 AM
Urs
AutoX

Originally Posted by Korenwolf
I guess the higher I want to boost it, the lower I'd better make the static compression, so if my goal with a 3.0-3.2 L 16 valve, was a solid 450rwhp/500crank with a fairly nice spool, what would you recommend on the boost/static compression front ?
I would take 8,5:1 or 8:1 Compression and a good choice of Turbocharger.

And somewhere here i read: "why not the stock rods"

My way of building an engine with a bit more Power than Stock Power is that i go always the save way that means - i buy the Stronger Rods , i buy new Pistons and do not machining the old to get another Compression but with a smaller Piston crown only with the reason that i can save a bit of money.
When the engine blow off u haven't save any money u had to give more.

Another good question for me is can u run the 16V head only the head with a separet cooling sytem?

regrads urs
Old 01-26-2011, 05:43 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

if my goal with a 3.0-3.2 L 16 valve, was a solid 450rwhp/500crank with a fairly nice spool, what would you recommend on the boost/static compression front ?
Here's a relevant dyno chart from my 9.5:1 C/R 3.0l 16v turbo engine with different boost levels. 450 rwhp around 0.7 bar (~10 psi).
Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 AM
Korenwolf
Intermediate

Hi Duke,

thanks for the chart, I like how the slope of the ramp up in torque when the boost builds is fairly gentle compared to some graphs that I've seen...

Did you have a build spec/blog of the engine, turbo & mods some where for us to look over ?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:17 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

producing over 350ftlbs for more than a 4000rpm rev band ...is a big deal you talking 911 turbo /Ls1 style PHAT GRUNT this kind of power delivery makes a car and absolute rock star on the track .... i dare say i may even be quicker then the apparent 700+hp GTR mentioned earlier .
so that chart is on 98ron duke ??
and a reminder the 2.5 pressure ratio line ona turbo compressor map represents 22psi and generally running above that is less than ideal on most turbos
Old 01-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Hi Duke,

thanks for the chart, I like how the slope of the ramp up in torque when the boost builds is fairly gentle compared to some graphs that I've seen...

Did you have a build spec/blog of the engine, turbo & mods some where for us to look over ?
I tried to find a post with the full spec but I couldn't find one, I was sure I had posted at some occasion

In short:
968 long block, modified engine block with pinned girdle and larger diameter head studs (PD/CEP), Wössner 9.5:1 pistons in alusil bores, pauter rods, lightly worked 16v 968 head, stiffer valve springs, stock headers (!), Garrett GT3582R turbo, Tial 44 mm wg, Tial 50 mm bov, large IC, large oil-cooler, 2.5" IC pipes, Link G4 EMS, Variocam controlled by EMS, custom 3-4" exhaust and a lot of other things. Oh forgot my ridiculously large 76 mm TB
Old 01-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
producing over 350ftlbs for more than a 4000rpm rev band ...is a big deal you talking 911 turbo /Ls1 style PHAT GRUNT this kind of power delivery makes a car and absolute rock star on the track .... i dare say i may even be quicker then the apparent 700+hp GTR mentioned earlier .
so that chart is on 98ron duke ??
and a reminder the 2.5 pressure ratio line ona turbo compressor map represents 22psi and generally running above that is less than ideal on most turbos
Yep pump fuel (99 RON). Cruising around at 0.6 bar feels like a big N/A engine. 3.0l with higher C/R makes for an amazing respons off boost.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Korenwolf
Intermediate

Duke,

>link
did you have any issues with the Link EMS, I'm sure I saw it mentioned somewhere that people had fueling issues with them, though that may have been an earlier version...

>3582
That was one of the Turbos that I had in mind, did you get it with the KKK housing, what A/R did you opt for on it ? Was it easy enough to mount it ? I assume you've got oil restrictors on it as well ?

>76mm throttle body
Is that a custom job or from a 928 or ...?

Are you using a MAP/MAF, custom bosch sensor, vitesse or... ?

Sorry for all the questions, but your engine is basically what I want in my car...!
Old 01-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Duke,

>link
did you have any issues with the Link EMS, I'm sure I saw it mentioned somewhere that people had fueling issues with them, though that may have been an earlier version...

>3582
That was one of the Turbos that I had in mind, did you get it with the KKK housing, what A/R did you opt for on it ? Was it easy enough to mount it ? I assume you've got oil restrictors on it as well ?

>76mm throttle body
Is that a custom job or from a 928 or ...?

Are you using a MAP/MAF, custom bosch sensor, vitesse or... ?

Sorry for all the questions, but your engine is basically what I want in my car...!
No worries, ask away.
You're probably thinking of the old Link MAP piggyback systems.
The newer Link standalone EMS is something totally different and very very good. I sell Link though so I might be biased
I tuned the engine and made a custom engine harness to install it. I use a Link model G4 EMS. Bosch motorsport wasted spark ignition.

No, you should stay away from the KKK housings. This is a full Garrett GT ball bearing turbo with a 0.82 a/r T3 turbine housing. Crossover pipe is modified and it needs a modified engine mount too since it's narrower than a KKK turbo. Yes always use a restrictor with a ball bearing turbo.

Throttle body is custom.

One of the keys to the nice torque curve is the use of VarioCam. I control it through the Link EMS. Tuning if the VarioCam had to be done on the dyno.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:11 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
Here's a relevant dyno chart from my 9.5:1 C/R 3.0l 16v turbo engine with different boost levels. 450 rwhp around 0.7 bar (~10 psi).
10 PSI? Wow. I'd estimated about 15 psi for 400 hp at the crank with my 3.0L 11.0:1 Variocam project. Do you think I've grossly miscalculated? Should I be planning for something more like 8-10 PSI (or less)?
Old 01-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JDS968
10 PSI? Wow. I'd estimated about 15 psi for 400 hp at the crank with my 3.0L 11.0:1 Variocam project. Do you think I've grossly miscalculated? Should I be planning for something more like 8-10 PSI (or less)?
It depends on engine management, the mapping/tune, intake manifold, turbo etc but I would start at 8 psi and work from there. But definately no need for 15 psi for 400 crank hp!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Korenwolf
Intermediate

>crossover...
I assume you had to fabricate exhaust headers to suit as well as modifying the crossover pipe ?

>engine mount
Did you have to modify it mostly so that the oil return hole would line up, or did you run a seperate oil return line and just bolt it into place nearby ?

>Variocam
I've heard that the Variocam is basically on or off, with a little bit of variation due to oil pressure changes, is that right or is it more progressive/adjustable than that - i.e. it's not just 2 cam profiles side by side ?

The Link ecu comes from my home country, so if it works well, perhaps I'll end up trying it - at least understanding the phone support won't be an issue !

Quick Reply: 16v vs 8v head turbo application - max static compression ?