Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What is everyone's project for 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 02:31 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
Nice to see so many projects still kicking around.

I'm on hold for awhile doing anything dramatic other than making the 87 more streetable. A nice new true maf setup and a heater. That's about it for now.
Nice to see you pop your head back in here Sid. Your absence is noticed.

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Well the 951 project is on hold for the time being, and the N/A decided she wanted some garage time... hope to have it all back together in a week or so... head is off being rebuilt by IMA Motorsport, gaskets and such are coming in, should have MOST of them by Friday, with even more stuff coming in next week! Even went one step further, all PS stuff is off the car, being cleaned up and refurbished / rebuilt, and the fuel tank is coming off for cleaning.. I need to drop the trans off to replace the mount (LR solid mount is driving me crazy, but I already have a buyer for it)..
I think you should get more project John. You're just not busy enough!

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Im Guessing his final drive ratio is shorter from looking at the speed he hits in 5th
Actually Pauly, I'm pretty sure it's a 968 6 speed so he wasn't even in top gear yet. They started out with a 5 speed but it kept breaking so they changed to a 6 speed...but perhaps this was before the change...not sure.

Originally Posted by George D
Patrtick,

Thanks....those vids kept me from my work for about 20 minutes. Great video, good driving, and neat car. Thanks for posting.

George
Yes George it's pretty raw looking, but I'm told this is early days and there's still quite a bit left on the table. Both in driving and the car itself.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One project down. I got kind of impatient and couldn't wait for the paint to dry before screwing it together so it might get another top coat in situ.
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2011, 11:00 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Local guys are goin nuts with engine rebuilds....
Old 01-12-2011, 11:48 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
You had the 0.63 a/r turbine?
I think I logged 3400 rpm in 4th gear as best with a GT3582R 0.82 T3 on a 2.5l. But during transient boost conditions you could feel the size of the turbo. I think many people don't realize a bigger turbo slows down transient boost too, and not just reach 1 bar a couple of hundred rpms slower.

I wouldn't run a GT35 (talking about the standard size: GT3582R 0.82 T3) unless shooting for at least 1.5 bar of boost on a 2.5l.
Yes sir.. .63 A/R. It seemed to spool anytime it felt like it and still made gobs of power. I have no idea what Im going to do with this next turbo.. I Have a twin Scroll turbine housing, but its too small for what i want.. which is a .78. kinda wierd. the next size up is a monsterous 1.06. (EDIT, ATP offers a .82 twin scroll at a retarded high price) I might go to a TIAL Stainless. .82 A/R. But I REALLY want a dual / twin scroll turbine at about a .85-.90

Last edited by 95ONE; 01-13-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:52 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I think you should get more project John. You're just not busy enough!
Funny, my therapist was telling me the very same thing today...

3 cars and a boat, 3 businesses, a divorce and custody battle in full swing.... not nearly enough going on...
Old 01-13-2011, 12:18 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

ok currenty have 2 cars running 1 just had front painted 2 still need paint.
plans for the year ahead are paint 2 more cars and try not to top myself with how much i hate auto painting.
put my NA 944 together as a decoy registration car.
dig my 951 out from under the pile of junk and get started on mounting the fuel system computer build the engine bottom end is waiting for the pistons from coating head is about 30% done but is going pretty stupid with custom ti valves and light weight lifters.
fit the bigger motor and rear mount turbo in my merc .
fix superkart
build sky scaper
fix dirbike
service space shuttle.
build new loft
relocate kitchen
paint factory
adapt nascar brakes to mercedes
unified field theory.
weld more stuff on trailer.
wool tuft aero steet work
mount seats
get car caged
rig up solar hot water
Old 01-13-2011, 12:33 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
unified field theory.
Do this first, it'll make tuning the other cars easier.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:02 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Yes sir.. .63 A/R. It seemed to spool anytime it felt like it and still made gobs of power. I have no idea what Im going to do with this next turbo.. I Have a twin Scroll turbine housing, but its too small for what i want.. which is a .78. kinda wierd. the next size up is a monsterous 1.06. (EDIT, ATP offers a .82 twin scroll at a retarded high price) I might go to a TIAL Stainless. .82 A/R. But I REALLY want a dual / twin scroll turbine at about a .85-.90
Before this turbo I ran the Tial/Garrett hybrid 3076 .63 w 7 blade comp wheel and it spooled brilliantly too. It would hold boost all the way through but if anything it was a bit linear in 'feel'. Great street or tight track turbo. The current one (.82 6 blade) is a bit slower to spool, but that's also with the addition of a big cam and exhaust at the same time...but it comes on stronger up top as expected.

Bruce, I would contact user 'Thingo' / Rod regarding twin scroll turbos. He's been working with a few different ones and setups over the last year or so.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:02 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
ok currenty have 2 cars running 1 just had front painted 2 still need paint.
plans for the year ahead are paint 2 more cars and try not to top myself with how much i hate auto painting.
put my NA 944 together as a decoy registration car.
dig my 951 out from under the pile of junk and get started on mounting the fuel system computer build the engine bottom end is waiting for the pistons from coating head is about 30% done but is going pretty stupid with custom ti valves and light weight lifters.
fit the bigger motor and rear mount turbo in my merc .
fix superkart
build sky scraper
fix dirtbike
service space shuttle.
build new loft
relocate kitchen
paint factory
adapt nascar brakes to mercedes
unified field theory.
weld more stuff on trailer.
wool tuft aero steet work
mount seats
get car caged
rig up solar hot water
Lol, you're a funny bugger Adam.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got the Walbro installed today, gave the gauge panel a respray and put into its new home and somehow all the Evap. components just seemed to disappear into another dimension... or rather, into a box, in my closet. You can free up some nice room by taking all the evap related crap out!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:31 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Installed the new waterpump today... apparently my radiator hoses are still stuck in Greensboro NC for some reason, even though the package from Lindsey made it to Greensboro later than the package from Paragon... according to UPS, its stuck in a trailer waiting on transfer... BS.. I think its lost after being there for four damn days....

Also, according to my accounting, I have spent $5750 on my 951 since October (includes the price of the car of $3K).

Not too bad since this will basically do everything on the engine as far as maintenance is concerned and then some

Last edited by AScholtes; 01-13-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:07 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AScholtes
Installed the new waterpump today... apparently my radiator hoses are still stuck in Greensboro NC for some reason, even though the package from Lindsey made it to Greensboro later than the package from Paragon... according to UPS, its stuck in a trailer waiting on transfer... BS.. I think its lost after being there for four damn days....

Also, according to my accounting, I have spent $5750 on my 951 since October (includes the price of the car of $3K).

Not too bad since this will basically do everything on the engine as far as maintenance is concerned and then some
Jeez, is that all??? You got off light.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:32 AM
VanhireBoys
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My project this year is simple.. Change the belts, waterpump, lower wihbones, new tyres.. And then put the turbo up for the NCT.. !

Then the main one .. Enjoy the car...!
Old 01-14-2011, 04:54 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by VanhireBoys
My project this year is simple.. Change the belts, waterpump, lower wihbones, new tyres.. And then put the turbo up for the NCT.. !

Then the main one .. Enjoy the car...!
What's the NCT?

And your avatar...is that a Porsche-published photo, or did you take that yourself? If the latter...can we see a full-sized version?
Old 01-14-2011, 05:13 AM
AScholtes
Pro

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Jeez, is that all??? You got off light.
LOL.. nope, just thrifty in my spending and researching parts to save the most $$

By researching instead of just hitting the typical parts suppliers, I saved probably $500 so far.. not bad

Oh, and the package is on the move from Greensboro to me, it will be here today with my rad hose set.

Quick Reply: What is everyone's project for 2011?