Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil in coolant pics...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 04:56 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carlege
Has your car ever overheated. I think i remember you doing your headgasket 2 times prevously.
I did do my headgasket previously when I blew it back in August of '07, it did overheat recently cause it had air in the cooling system cause I did not bleed it when I flushed it....
Old 12-11-2010, 08:18 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Oil cooler was fine? Of course, the actual oil cooler is not where the seals are on a turbo engine. Might want to read my oil seal replacement and HG write-ups, each linked below -- so you can have a more informed conversation with your mechanic. If he/she is not very familiar with the issues/parts involved, the best mechanic around could completely miss the issue.
I told my mechanic what you said and sent him your link, but he insists it's the headgasket cause he did everything on your thread and he bet me $100 it's the headgasket... so next Saturday we'll see if he was wrong, he's never been wrong the last 10 years I've known him...
Old 12-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by LFA951
I told my mechanic what you said and sent him your link, but he insists it's the headgasket cause he did everything on your thread and he bet me $100 it's the headgasket... so next Saturday we'll see if he was wrong, he's never been wrong the last 10 years I've known him...
I wouldn't take that bet. I'd bet HG too not knowing more. Does the car have a lumpy idle when starting in the morning? Any spark plug a lot cleaner than the others? Try this: route the overflow hose up near the windshield so you can see it when you drive-- use an extension if needed -- and see if it sprays exactly when you hit heavy boost.... If boost = spray, then your head is not sealing. Just be careful not to obstruct your vision if it sprays, and clean the paint asap.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:25 PM
LFA951
Drifting

I wouldn't take that bet. I'd bet HG too not knowing more. Does the car have a lumpy idle when starting in the morning? Any spark plug a lot cleaner than the others? Try this: route the overflow hose up near the windshield so you can see it when you drive-- use an extension if needed -- and see if it sprays exactly when you hit heavy boost.... If boost = spray, then your head is not sealing. Just be careful not to obstruct your vision if it sprays, and clean the paint asap.
I will try that with the overflow hose, it starts fine with no lumpy idle in the morning, it does feels lumpy when I get to the first traffic light, spark plugs are all clean with no sign of inconsistency...
Old 12-11-2010, 11:33 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

When the head gasket pressurizes the cooling system, the coolant will often seep back into the cylinders overnight from the pressure (and bad seal), causing the plug to be be wet and make a lumpy idle. Your mixing is so severe, I would have expected that, but not a conclusive sign in any way. Try the overflow test...
Old 12-12-2010, 06:53 PM
LFA951
Drifting

When the head gasket pressurizes the cooling system, the coolant will often seep back into the cylinders overnight from the pressure (and bad seal), causing the plug to be be wet and make a lumpy idle. Your mixing is so severe, I would have expected that, but not a conclusive sign in any way. Try the overflow test...
What I have noticed is that on boost it burns more oil and water than normal...when I drive normal the collant level is still high, when I drive on boost I have to add a lot of water since the level falls pretty low...
Old 12-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

What I have noticed is that on boost it burns more oil and water than normal...when I drive normal the collant level is still high, when I drive on boost I have to add a lot of water since the level falls pretty low...
Hmmm.... it is unusual for both the coolant and oil levels to go down at the same time. Did you check if it sprays coolant when on boost?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:19 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Hmmm.... it is unusual for both the coolant and oil levels to go down at the same time. Did you check if it sprays coolant when on boost?
I haven't driven it since you suggested it, it sits on the weekend, but I am going to do that test today, I 'm off to work now...
Old 12-14-2010, 03:05 PM
LFA951
Drifting

I drove it today and it didn't shoot anything out of the overfill hose when I floored it in all gears...I had a crack in the hose where the 3 meet on the one that goes to the turbo water pump, and thats why it was leaking water from the coolant...
Old 12-20-2010, 06:37 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Default UPDATE!!

My tech took the head off today and he texted me this pic...so he was right, it was the gasket and not the oil cooler gasket, he said it because it was over torqued...I am going to pick it up tomorrow!!

Last edited by LFA951; 05-31-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:21 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tech took the head off today and he texted me this pic...so he was right, it was the gasket and not the oil cooler gasket, he said it because it was over torqued...I am going to pick it up tomorrow!!
wasnt he the one that installed it last time?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:17 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by carlege
wasnt he the one that installed it last time?
Nope, it was another guy, Renzo, the one who did my clutch with the headgasket back in February, who by the way did a great job with the clutch...
Old 12-21-2010, 01:28 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Hmmm, I've torqued head studs to 100 ft lbs and have never seen a gasket tear like that due to over tightening. I have seen them tear when they are removed from the studs though... Hopefully that's it, but knock on wood...I wouldn't temp fate by declaring it fixed until it's back on the road without any issues. Good luck -- hope that's it!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:28 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Hmmm, I've torqued head studs to 100 ft lbs and have never seen a gasket tear like that due to over tightening. I have seen them tear when they are removed from the studs though... Hopefully that's it, but knock on wood...I wouldn't temp fate by declaring it fixed until it's back on the road without any issues. Good luck -- hope that's it!
Well, apparently, that was the explanation he gave me, either way, the culprit was the gasket as he had claimed, so I owe him $100 for the bet I lost...
Old 12-21-2010, 08:32 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think thats your problem.

Quick Reply: Oil in coolant pics...