Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Variable Intake Manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have seen this kind of manifold mostly with high HP Audi's here in Finland. This engine produce over 600hp

Similar setups for 951's are on their way.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:39 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
I have seen this kind of manifold mostly with high HP Audi's here in Finland. This engine produce over 600hp

Similar setups for 951's are on their way.
That looks like a dual plenum intake, which while nice, is not as effective as a variable runner intake. The dual plenum ones are more common, and they have a communication valve that opens and closes and opens again (or is it closes, opens, then closes again?) through the RPM range. I can't think of one I've seen on a 4 banger, but they are pretty common on 6's and 8's, as they are MUCH less expensive than a true dual, or even a variable runner. Ford has used them a good bit, BMW uses them, and if you've noticed the Ferrari V8's with two plenums that have a connecting orifice in the middle, that has a comm valve.

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
you could use a split plenum with different size throttles kind of like a BMW 318i, even though that motor only had 1 length runner.

one smaller throttle would have a longer air path and the larger throttle would have the short, high-rpm air path. i imagine you could do a progressive throttle opening where like depending where the throttle position is, the small bore would be open fully and the large bore like halfway and then at WOT above a certain rpm both are fully open.
This actually DOES have two sets of runners. Interesting concept on varying the throttle opening. Seems it might work a bit.

WHat no one has shown is a true, variable intake. Dual runners, yes, but not variable. This is a design that I think Cosworth patented a while back. As you can see, and as Chris pointed out - it takes quite a bit to package it:

Everyone geeking out on this stuff, don't mind me, but there is not nearly as much to be gained from this in the 951 as some of you may think. I still think that VCT would be both more beneficial, and less complicated.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

If you have some time read this thread (one of the best intake threads I know) – its really very interesting and I have to commend the guy making the intake manifold – he did his homework!

Warning! You will get sucked in to reading all 19 pages….there is a really good progression of design. If you just look at the final product you will miss the whole design process!

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/.../page__st__320

I apologize in advance for taking up an hour (or more) of your life (it’s worth it)!

Quick Reply: Variable Intake Manifolds