Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replacing LR Super 65 Turbo with what?. Advice wanted

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 08:01 AM
kghaas
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Replacing LR Super 65 Turbo with what?. Advice wanted

I am currently running a full Lindsay racing setup with maf, mafterburner, 72 injectors and a LR 65 super turbo. It is all running very well but I have an oil leak which I just cant figure out. I cant find it! When the car comes to a standstill I can smell the burning of oil. When I drive, i dont see any blue smoke or anything. When I go under the car it is all clean and no traces of oil. I suspect it is the turbo which is leaking, and it is burned away.

When I look at the rear of my car, it is covered in a lot of black small spots. Not the fine exhaust but more corse stuff.

My question:
1. Any suggestions on the origins of the oil leak?
2. If I dont find it I will go for a new turbo: What turbo is the best replacement for the 65?

I don't need more power(target is 360-375) but i do need quicker spool and bolt on.

The oil leak is of course just a "fake" argument. The real reason for this is that I cant keep up with the 996 GT3 on my local track. The spool is just too slow and i loose the 30-50 meters before I am on power. When on power I can keep the same pace but not fully catch up. Verry annoying...

Some pics of the car:

On R888 tires

Street tires

Engine

Orignial vs LR Super 65
Old 12-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I would recommend talking to Simon at SPS in the UK, or if looking specifically for buying parts in the US try Vic at Pauertuning. Both will be able to supply you with a dual ball bearing hybrid turbo that will bolt on and significantly reduce the lag.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Dea_944t
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Link to SPS?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:14 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the same turbo with the exact same issues.

It is the turbo leaking oil at the shaft seals.

Bought it brand new and it's been this way since day one. Seems for whatever reason these turbos can't take the oil pressures that the car runs. I had the turbo rebuilt after 2k miles hoping for a fix. The rebuilder installed a different seal setup stating that the OE setup "could" be the problem. After the rebuild it was better but still not acceptable. At this point I'm saying to myself F it, so I installed a restrictor figuring it's either going to seize or be better. Little better but it still pisses oil. When I pull the intercooler pipe there is an oil pool in front of the compressor wheel, so it's probably going out the exhaust side also.

I am also considering going with another turbo. It's laying on the shelf right now while my 3L is going back together.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:10 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr8er
I have the same turbo with the exact same issues.

It is the turbo leaking oil at the shaft seals.

Bought it brand new and it's been this way since day one. Seems for whatever reason these turbos can't take the oil pressures that the car runs. I had the turbo rebuilt after 2k miles hoping for a fix. The rebuilder installed a different seal setup stating that the OE setup "could" be the problem. After the rebuild it was better but still not acceptable. At this point I'm saying to myself F it, so I installed a restrictor figuring it's either going to seize or be better. Little better but it still pisses oil. When I pull the intercooler pipe there is an oil pool in front of the compressor wheel, so it's probably going out the exhaust side also.

I am also considering going with another turbo. It's laying on the shelf right now while my 3L is going back together.
You sure it's not blow by?

I think Thom is spot on with his recommendation. Vic is a helpful guy.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:15 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Try out Vitesse to get some turbo suggestions he is all about quick spool.

Or talk to Lindsey and tell them your concerns.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

kghaas, what is the turbine wheel & housing on your Super 65?
Old 12-04-2010, 06:21 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DDP
You sure it's not blow by?

I think Thom is spot on with his recommendation. Vic is a helpful guy.
Believe me, I have checked/chased every possibility with this turbo. Including LR...
I have came to the conclusion that the oil drain holes in the center section are not sized correctly.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:47 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

you could also be running too rich and as a result you have HC's or soot back there.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:55 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what kind of BOV is that?

BTW, I'm running a Vitesse Stage 2 turbo - just put it in...IC pipes are clean and no oil leaking anywhere...i had both with my stock turbo. My understanding is that these cars generate more oil pressure than most of these turbo's are designed for - even with restrictors. The stock KKK's seem to take it fine but others don't. John doesn't talk much about the 'magic' in his turbo's, but he has stated that he's worked specifically on oil management in his turbo's so that you don't have to use restrictors to deal with the pressure. So far, I'm a fan.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:34 AM
kghaas
Racer

Thanks for all the answeres.

Rouge_ant: I dont know the turbin spec but its a 8cm2 hotside
gpr8er: I have also had this problem from almost day 1. I have also hade the turbo rebuilt after 10.000km with no difference. My problem is identical to waht you describe.
Kev951: I think AFR is quite good, but yes it is a bit on the rich side. Here you can see a WOT pull. You think the black dots on the rear is not oil related? When coming to a standstill, it smells realy strong burning oil.

AFR WOT:

Choinga: Have no clue what BOV it is. Probably som cheap chinese stuff. In fact I have been trying to figure out if it is mounted the right way! It does work well, but does give off a strange noise when shifting.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:09 AM
kghaas
Racer

I still havent found a solution for this. Any other tips for tubos?
Pauertuning is not responding and I have now idea where to contact SPS
Old 12-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vic @ Pauertuning is out-of-town at the moment, but should be back next week...

It is also a bit hard to give you a good reply without knowing all the specs of your current turbo.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:01 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by choinga
My understanding is that these cars generate more oil pressure than most of these turbo's are designed for - even with restrictors. The stock KKK's seem to take it fine but others don't. John doesn't talk much about the 'magic' in his turbo's, but he has stated that he's worked specifically on oil management in his turbo's so that you don't have to use restrictors to deal with the pressure. So far, I'm a fan.
I understand the same thing, and have read enough issues from folks running other turbos to believe it. I had to be talked out a Garrett based turbo when I was looking at some stuff. Guess I might post a thread about that here shortly. Regardless, I ended up going with a K27 frame, though it has a Holset wheel. This despite the fact that I had a Garrett with a Stage 3 turbine and 57 trim T04E sitting on a shelf.

I also find that I have a very, very different philosophy on turbos than what I seem to find here. I would never put a turbo capable of 65#/min on an engine with a 400 horsepower target. That is about 50% oversized in my opinion. Folks would be much better off looking at the whole system, controls, intake, intercooler, and exhaust than just bolting on a monster turbo like that. Of course, that is easier said than done, as a good MAF is expensive (but is more beneficial than a turbo, IMHO). Fords are a lot cheaper to work on, as the group is so large, the source is open, so people can do their own calibration.

I'd recommend giving Charlie at Evergreen Turbo a call, as well. He is here in the US, but works on all brands of turbos, and knows Porsches quite well. I found out after talking with him that he has built several turbos for friends of mine, through the shops they have taken their cars to.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:21 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran a Garrett for some time. no oil leak. had the usual restrictor. its so small, you wont want to put it in though! but its what has to go in there. The trouble with the garret is the mounting.. Everything has to change. (Which means money) but it can be done, and will be extremely rewarding. GT28, or GT30 for that power level.

Quick Reply: Replacing LR Super 65 Turbo with what?. Advice wanted