Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

F-in corvettes!!! now whats up with my car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This message is hidden because HIGHBOOST is on your ignore list.
DING DING DING! And we have another winnnnerrr...
Old 11-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

67King says it with eloquence. Elliott says it with brevity.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:25 AM
TheDice951
Racer

Look guys, I'm sorry if I pissed some of you off with this, the vette had an aero kit a wing and exhaust and he said it was a z06 so whether it was or not, I don't know.... Either way, I just want help with the car. I see where you guys are coming from and I agree that what I did was stupid. I'm sorry for posting it at all. I'm not on here to make enemies just friends..... As for my grammar, I'm posting on a forum not writing a paper so I didn't think it was nessisary to capitalize sentences and make sure everything is punctuated correctly. It's hard to do all that while posting from a phone....
Old 11-24-2010, 10:37 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 325 Posts

Rogue, your car isn't exactly what I'd call a normal 951.

The rest of you guys need to put down the bong if you think your 951's can come close to keeping up with a C6 Z06. They're easily the most under rated performance car out there.

I've been on track with them (yes, up here at altitude where they're down 18%!) and they still pretty much blow the doors off of everything else on the track. I instructed in one where the guy (novice driver) was short shifting at 4500 rpm and lifting at the start finish line of the straight away and coasting to the braking zone. He was still hitting 135mph! To give you an idea of how fast that was, most other cars were struggling to hit 125mph and were hitting the redline and going as deep as possible before braking into turn 1. I think if it was my car I easily could've been at 155mph in that same situation...
Old 11-24-2010, 10:41 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HIGHBOOST
I had a neighbor killed a few months ago by some punk teenager riding his bike like a maniac in our subdivision. Another neighbor (teenager in the family) lost a good friend who lost control of his hopped-up SRT-4 while doing nearly 3 times the speed limit on a busy public road.

All very unfortunate events, I'm not going to say what you can and can't do, however passing judgement on everybody who drives a little spirited from time to time based on some "punk" teenagers as you put it is not fair IMHO
"Driving a little spritied?" Racing a 500 horsepower car at triple digit speeds going the wrong way on a 2 lane road that goes through the woods, and therefore likely is a double yellow most of the time is not "driving a little spirited." It is driving with blatant disregard for the safety of other people with no other purpose than feeding one's own ego.

I'm not passing judgement on the OP based on what happened around me. I am passing judgement on him based on what he did. I brought up the other examples to show that there are pretty clearly consequences to that kind of behavior.

As for the PUNK kid (note I only called one of them a punk), here's the story: http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/ma...-to-stop-dirt/ Many people tried to stop the kids, including me, as that particularly day, they had been out for hours upon hours. The cops had actually come into the subdivision that day looking for them. Eyewitnesses to the accident (i.e. my neighbors) claim the kid accelerated at the man he killed, and intentionally hit him.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:11 AM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by TheDice951
Look guys, I'm sorry if I pissed some of you off with this, the vette had an aero kit a wing and exhaust and he said it was a z06 so whether it was or not, I don't know.... Either way, I just want help with the car. I see where you guys are coming from and I agree that what I did was stupid. I'm sorry for posting it at all. I'm not on here to make enemies just friends..... As for my grammar, I'm posting on a forum not writing a paper so I didn't think it was nessisary to capitalize sentences and make sure everything is punctuated correctly. It's hard to do all that while posting from a phone....
The good news is that I don't hold grudges. The bad news is that I can come across as a real jerk sometimes when I'm trying to make my point. Having said that, your display of contrition is impressive, and shows more maturity than I initially had given you credit for having (BTW....grammar and punctuation send a pretty strong message about one's maturity - I wasn't blasting you for it, it was just another symptom of youth, etc.)

Alright, the car seems to be showing no ill effects. That seems somewhat indicative of a corrective issue in the calibration. First I should say that I'm speaking more generally, not specifically about the 951, as I have a pretty strong background in the industry, but am relatively new to Porsches. In other words, if someone like Rogue comes along and contradicts me, there may be something specific to Porsche about which I don't know.

I would guess that ignition was probably pulled due to signs of knock. You might have started to induce knock (which is inaudible at first, but detectable through the knock sensors). THat could be because you heat soaked the intercooler and engine while driving hard. As things heat up, you are more prone to knock, and the longer you have sustained high loads, the more things heat up. Another potential factor, where do you live? Was it perhaps unseasonably cool or warm? I would guess that you'd have more problems running warm season fuel in cold weather than the other way around, but that might be a slight possibility.

Actually......you might have been experiencing boost creep, considering you were in an upper gear for a somewhat extended period. That will do a couple of things. First, it may kick in the overboost protection, but that is usually a pretty hard thing to hit. SEcond, if you didn't, you were heating up your air charge more by the increased boost level. That means more heat. The more heat, the more likely you are to need to pull spark.

See if you can duplicate the problem (just this time, not while racing someone). If you can, then you can try to diagnose it. If you do duplicate it, put in some race gas and see if that makes it go away. If it does, it means you are detonating, and spark is being pulled. If it doesn't, there is another problem.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Damn, King! You must have the day off!
Old 11-24-2010, 11:32 AM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tedro951
Damn, King! You must have the day off!
Getting ready to head down to Georgia (Griffin - the town recently made famous by US Top Gear!) with 67Prince and 67Princesses to visit the family over Thanksgiving. Waiting for everyone to extract themselves from bed.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:32 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by docwyte
The rest of you guys need to put down the bong if you think your 951's can come close to keeping up with a C6 Z06. They're easily the most under rated performance car out there.

My boss has a new '10 Turbo S with 530hp. HE can beat stock Z06's on the highway, but still has a ton of trouble with the cam/exhaust/CAI crowd! He mostly gets them thanks to the PDK--he gains every time they push in the clutch pedal.

...and he passes my chipped 951S like it's parked...
Old 11-24-2010, 01:30 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Another case of "flat out"??

Old 11-24-2010, 01:56 PM
GreyDog
Rennlist Member

That's great !
Old 11-24-2010, 02:51 PM
TheDice951
Racer

I will see if I can duplicate it.... I live in North Carolina and it was about 65 degrees outside. I have an HKS evc-s boost controller so it should t have aloud boost creep but you never know I guess... I will keep an eye onrush as well.

Thanks for the help
I will keep you posted
Old 11-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

65 degrees sounds nice. It was 10 deg. when I was driving to work this morning. As far as the guys getting on you for being stupid on the street, It was good that they called you on it before something bad happened to you or someone else. Chock it up as lesson learned the easy way. Good luck with your problem.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:23 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by docwyte
Rogue, your car isn't exactly what I'd call a normal 951.

I've been on track with them (yes, up here at altitude where they're down 18%!) and they still pretty much blow the doors off of everything else on the track. I instructed in one where the guy (novice driver) was short shifting at 4500 rpm and lifting at the start finish line of the straight away and coasting to the braking zone. He was still hitting 135mph! To give you an idea of how fast that was, most other cars were struggling to hit 125mph and were hitting the redline and going as deep as possible before braking into turn 1. I think if it was my car I easily could've been at 155mph in that same situation...
Please tell me you're including my car with, "The rest of you guys!"

EDIT: as of now though.. well.. its got one person power. But.... STILLL looking good for near future.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:17 AM
piperporsche180944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Please tell me you're including my car with, "The rest of you guys!"

EDIT: as of now though.. well.. its got one person power. But.... STILLL looking good for near future.
Im one of the "rest of you guys" too I suppose, you and I both 95ONE! HAHAHAHA

Quick Reply: F-in corvettes!!! now whats up with my car?