Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Does orientation of oil cooler matter??

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 02:51 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Does orientation of oil cooler matter??

I am mounting a setrab oil cooler, and had planned to run the lines from the bottom. I know they are currently too low, I just wanted to get an idea and plan to raise about 4 inches. I will need to have a liitle welding done to get the brackets to the appropriate height.

Or I can just flip the cooler and be done, and have the lines exiting from the top of the cooler.

Thoughts?

Steve
Attached Images    
Old 11-21-2010, 03:22 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, does not matter... Provided you arent running all sorts of 90 degree bends and such. Each bend is a pressure drop so you want to minimize them. I personally wouldnt run it like you have now.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:36 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I felt better mounting with my lines on top

Old 11-21-2010, 03:41 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Typically you want the connection points on the side or bottom. This is so you can drain the cooler when changing oil.
If it were my car, I would keep the cooler in the current orientation, but move it up so the lines do not go below the bottom of the radiator. The hoses would be routed to the passengers side, in front of the radiator. I'd probably put a couple of holes in the plastic duct to run the line through.

For the bracket I would try to get it more rigidly mounted to the car. With the current configuration, you'll run into problems on the drivers side. It will sag over time, get floppy and may actually tear the mounting point on the cooler.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:53 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
Typically you want the connection points on the side or bottom. This is so you can drain the cooler when changing oil.
If it were my car, I would keep the cooler in the current orientation, but move it up so the lines do not go below the bottom of the radiator. The hoses would be routed to the passengers side, in front of the radiator. I'd probably put a couple of holes in the plastic duct to run the line through.

For the bracket I would try to get it more rigidly mounted to the car. With the current configuration, you'll run into problems on the drivers side. It will sag over time, get floppy and may actually tear the mounting point on the cooler.
Thanks,

Not sure why I did not notice the two mounting brackets about a foot above these, they seem more substantial. Not sure what these were used for? Curious if anyone knows.

Luckily I only need to trim off a little an have some side mouting plates welded on.

Steve
Old 11-22-2010, 01:25 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Porsche was just so smart, they knew you would be mounting an aftermarket oil cooler there one day.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:28 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you decide which cooler to install?

I've been trying to find a "scientific" approach to determining which cooler to buy. I've found technical specs for some of the Setrab coolers but can't find any kind of specs on the stock cooler.
Also, is it possible to have too large of a cooler?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
No, does not matter... Provided you arent running all sorts of 90 degree bends and such. Each bend is a pressure drop so you want to minimize them.

Actually, with positive displacement oil pumps on our cars, oil volume is only effected by engine rpm....pressure makes no difference.

Last edited by Willard Bridgham 3; 11-22-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

One of the most important things in mounting any oil cooler is to make sure that there is no strain what so ever on the AN fittings. The Mocal coolers will develop leaks at the input fittings if you breathe on them too hard! With the mounting brackets you have the fittings will end up with a lot of stress at the oil cooler movers around.

Its almost always better to ‘hang’ an oil cooler from the top mounts instead to the lower mounts. Less twisting force on the mounts and connectors.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Does orientation of oil cooler matter??

Makes me wonder if we need to have a “don’t ask don’t tell” policy….
Old 11-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick

I've been trying to find a "scientific" approach to determining which cooler to buy. I've found technical specs for some of the Setrab coolers but can't find any kind of specs on the stock cooler.
As long as the oil thermostat is functioning properly - no, you cannot have too large a cooler from a heat transfer standpoint.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:49 AM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input.

I will be mounting the cooler from the bracket on top, at the upper mounting bracket, of unknown purpose. These mounts do seem much more structuraly secure.

Originally Posted by Rick

When talking w/ Eric at BAT, and giving him my HP goal, he thought that the 915 cooler would be ample. I am glad I did not go larger, as much taller ant it would not be as easy to mount.

I was also temped to to with the RX-7 cooler, but was told by my mechanic not to buy a used oil cooler. I am trying to get better at following his reccomendations.

Steve
Old 11-22-2010, 12:23 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
One of the most important things in mounting any oil cooler is to make sure that there is no strain what so ever on the AN fittings. The Mocal coolers will develop leaks at the input fittings if you breathe on them too hard! With the mounting brackets you have the fittings will end up with a lot of stress at the oil cooler movers around.

Its almost always better to ‘hang’ an oil cooler from the top mounts instead to the lower mounts. Less twisting force on the mounts and connectors.
This works too
Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2010, 01:10 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jason,

Is that the Setrab 915 as well?

If not what are the dimensions?

Also I will work on getting you aprice on the boost tubes today.

Steve
Old 11-22-2010, 01:40 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrZ1
Thanks Jason,

Is that the Setrab 915 as well?

If not what are the dimensions?

Also I will work on getting you aprice on the boost tubes today.

Steve
Thanks for the price! I'm not sure as I bought setrab from LR but it probably is the 915

Quick Reply: Does orientation of oil cooler matter??