Old 11-15-2010, 11:19 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
If your turbo has damaged impeller blades on the compressor of the turbo, DO NOT BE DRIVING THE CAR..

I bet he was making reference to the lower crossover bolt.. Because he couldn't see the head of it... but I could be wrong..

Get the car to a competent mechanic in short order..
I am the "mechanic" that looked at the car. He is missing the long allen mount bolt to the turbo. His turbo is completely hosed from FOD. Noise is only under boost and sounds like it is being transmitted to the back under boost.

And P.S. The damage is already done, half the compressor wheel has gone through the engine already, lol.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:37 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3
If you've had enough contact to shear compressor blades, you have very nasty stuff in the engine. The turbo will be the least of your problems.
I have seen what bits of blades can do to your cyl walls.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:37 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
I am the "mechanic" that looked at the car. He is missing the long allen mount bolt to the turbo. His turbo is completely hosed from FOD. Noise is only under boost and sounds like it is being transmitted to the back under boost.

And P.S. The damage is already done, half the compressor wheel has gone through the engine already, lol.
Sad part is I was going to tell him to get in touch with you...

Wow missing a turbo mount bolt and complaining about marbles at high boost... suppose he is also loosing oil, despite his insistance that it isn't..

I gathered his turbo is crippled by FOD damage, but I am sure the noise he is hearing is pieces of the compressor wheel IN the exhaust, and yes Lart is right, I am sure the rest of the motor has seen better days..

Wow, I need to find myself a "mechanic" ... because the last fools I let work on my car werent worthy of working at Jiffy Lube...
Old 11-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He is missing the long allen mount bolt to the turbo.
We lost that bolt when we rebuilt my engine....lotta cussin' and waitin' for the new one.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

ouch.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:25 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Voith
ouch.
At least with the ammount of oil the turbo should be spitting out, most of the compressor wheel may still be sitting in the intercooler... well some of it anyway!

The bigger pieces at least!
Old 11-16-2010, 11:03 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I think it was ground down. I check my oil and it looks to be at the same level. I guess I should check the compression on the engine. When I did the vacuum lines there wasn't like a dust in the intake manifold or intercooler. I hope the damage was bad. Oil didn't look too bad the last time I changed it.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:16 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
I think it was ground down. I check my oil and it looks to be at the same level. I guess I should check the compression on the engine. When I did the vacuum lines there wasn't like a dust in the intake manifold or intercooler. I hope the damage was bad. Oil didn't look too bad the last time I changed it.
Is there oil in the intake tract? If so, it is coming from teh air oil seperator, or the turbo, and given the damaged turbo it is a good place to look.. and if you already have a new one on hand.. why not before the damage gets worse?
Old 11-16-2010, 11:31 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I sent out a turbo to be rebuilt last night actually. Finally got the downpipe off of it. I will giving my car to Mr. PorscheDoc to do the turbo swap and motor mounts as soon as he can do it. Trust me I want to get this resolved. I hope that the bottom end is still okay. It doesn't smoke or use more oil than normal. To be honest it runs pretty decent besides the whole turbo ordeal.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:57 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will notice (hear) the compressor hitting the housing before you will hear it being out of ballance... not to mention the amount of oil it will be spewing!
Couldn't be wronger.. with increased rpm's it will sound like an air raid siren, and produce less and less boost, while clearancing both the compressor and housing.

Missing half the mount bolts.. ouch.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Time to pull put the intercooler and give it thorough cleaning – but Doc probably has told you that already!

Originally Posted by ibkevin
Couldn't be wronger...
Could be a new catch phrase…..
Old 11-19-2010, 10:32 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I am having porschedoc put in the rebuilt turbo and what not. He knows these cars a lot better than I do. I haven't thought to clean out the intercooler. What kind of a process is that like?
Old 11-19-2010, 10:40 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
I am having porschedoc put in the rebuilt turbo and what not. He knows these cars a lot better than I do. I haven't thought to clean out the intercooler. What kind of a process is that like?
That all has to get done with the turbo. Everything in the intake stream needs to be cleaned.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:39 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Well the intake manifold and all that should be clean, since I did that when I redid the vacuum lines and what not. I never clean the intercooler though. I'm not even sure what do to about that.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the cover, pull the cooler, use purple power or gas until it comes out clean. Hopefully you wont have much metal and what not. :-)

Quick Reply: Out of balance Turbo