Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

(UPDATE...pull was in third gear) Dyno Heartbreaker today!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 07:03 PM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MooreBoost
also in the upper left corner
Whoops!

Old 11-02-2010, 07:04 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

and I was trying to be decent...DOH!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:05 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, those guys sound like dicks. There's no way I'd stick my car on a dyno and let someone go through the paces without me standing right there - for the WHOLE thing. No f'ing way. I'd be asking a bunch of questions too - and if they didn't like, I'd drive my *** out of there and find someone who did.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:08 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MooreBoost
btw... your car looks good on the dyno
thanks!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:10 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

I don't think the car is too far off? The HP number is exactly what I had expected and hoped for and the AFR is decent. Apparently LR's only concern was that the boost didn't ramp up as fast as they hoped for. Heck it feels about like it did before with the 26/6 as far as the boost coming on (just more sustained power).

The exhaust was just off the car and we didn't see the downpipe or crossover tube collapsing.

When the turbo was new on the bench it did not spin free at all. I assumed that it was just some heavy assembly lube? The more I drive it the better it seems to respond. Break in?????

I did find a positive boost leak early on and that helped after making the repair.

I just wish the number would have been even 300.1 ...LOL
Old 11-02-2010, 07:11 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by choinga
Wow, those guys sound like dicks. There's no way I'd stick my car on a dyno and let someone go through the paces without me standing right there - for the WHOLE thing. No f'ing way. I'd be asking a bunch of questions too - and if they didn't like, I'd drive my *** out of there and find someone who did.
I'm usually not a lay down for anyone...I won't be next time.

Lesson learned.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:11 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Do you have a good aftermarket wastegate such as a Tial 38mm or better and have you got a good boost controller in place?

As far as the exhaust goes.... 2.5" is more than enough for well over 350RWHP.

Do you have a real test pipe in place (not talking about a pipe in place of the cat.... I mean a genuine test pipe)?

If the answer to both of the above are yes, then the first thing I'd say is that the turbine is WAY too big for your basically stock engine. This based on how late the turbine spools.

Just .02 cents....

TonyG
Old 11-02-2010, 07:24 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TonyG
Do you have a good aftermarket wastegate such as a Tial 38mm or better and have you got a good boost controller in place?

As far as the exhaust goes.... 2.5" is more than enough for well over 350RWHP.

Do you have a real test pipe in place (not talking about a pipe in place of the cat.... I mean a genuine test pipe)?

If the answer to both of the above are yes, then the first thing I'd say is that the turbine is WAY too big for your basically stock engine. This based on how late the turbine spools.

Just .02 cents....

TonyG
Thanks for your .02 cents..thats why i posted.

LR DP wastegate, Turbonetics MBC, yes, real test pipe!

Please keep in mind boost was only 15psi and I still have the stock injectors and AFM.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:30 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

ANOTHER THOUGHT BUBBLE HERE:

I was listening to the recording of the sound and thinking about what i saw from their f$&%king "catwalk" and I think they "rolled" into the throttle. I called my friend who was with me (the previous owner BTW!) and he also thinks they "rolled" into the throttle. Hell...I'm not shy i would have hammered it till redline!

In driving the vehicle I've been seeing full boost by 4k...it was raining by the time I left the shop and still is. So, no test run now!

Having said that I';m thinking this wasn't a good indication of what the little engine and turbo are really doing.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:30 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by racerxrick
Thanks for your .02 cents..thats why i posted.

LR DP wastegate, Turbonetics MBC, yes, real test pipe!

Please keep in mind boost was only 15psi and I still have the stock injectors and AFM.

The problem I have is not with the boost level. Nor is it with the power out put (it's probably not too far off from where it should be at 1 bar considering it's a stock engine).

The problem I have is how late the turbine spools that turbo. The turbine looks to be way too big.

TonyG
Old 11-02-2010, 07:38 PM
slap929
Pro

Noob question, but what is the difference between a test pipe and just a pipe? Is it not just a means of getting rid of the cat section along the exhaust?
Old 11-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

I'm jealous, man! It looks like everything is perfect, except for the shop's attitude. If you're seeing full boost earlier than the graphs say you are, I'd either do it again, after the exhaust upgrade, or just celebrate that you aren't spending the next month trying to track down all kinds of tuning gremlins like many do. I'm only running the LR basic chips/FPR/shim, but I love the fact that it works as advertised and I havent had to touch one screw since installing.

Another reason to celebrate is the learning experience for $85. There isn't a cheaper item on this whole car, when you factor the "while I'm in there" routine.

Congrats!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:04 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slap929
Noob question, but what is the difference between a test pipe and just a pipe? Is it not just a means of getting rid of the cat section along the exhaust?
It basically repaces the whole "center section"...after that is the "cat back" which extends back including the muffler. Before the "test pipe" is the down pipe and crossover.

This is new to me also as previously it just meant installing a short pipe or gutted cat with a pipe shoved through it
Old 11-02-2010, 08:06 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tedro951
I'm jealous, man! It looks like everything is perfect, except for the shop's attitude. If you're seeing full boost earlier than the graphs say you are, I'd either do it again, after the exhaust upgrade, or just celebrate that you aren't spending the next month trying to track down all kinds of tuning gremlins like many do. I'm only running the LR basic chips/FPR/shim, but I love the fact that it works as advertised and I havent had to touch one screw since installing.

Another reason to celebrate is the learning experience for $85. There isn't a cheaper item on this whole car, when you factor the "while I'm in there" routine.

Congrats!
thanks Ted...my eyes will be glued to the tach and boost gauge next time out.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your car SOON! (Just noticed your signature update!)
Old 11-02-2010, 08:14 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Default UPDATE

Those <insert name here> performed a THIRD GEAR PULL! When i set this up I discussed this over the phone. Then when i was there I held back 30 feet and couldn't even observe them strapping the car on the dyno.

Soooooo...this much i know (maybe) LOL:

300HP in THIRD gear at 15psi.

wonder how much things would have changed with a bit more load on it.

Hell...this was almost a complete waste of time???

Quick Reply: (UPDATE...pull was in third gear) Dyno Heartbreaker today!