Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

(UPDATE...pull was in third gear) Dyno Heartbreaker today!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 04:33 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (UPDATE...pull was in third gear) Dyno Heartbreaker today!

Haha...well sort of anyway

I was hoping to see anything with a "3" in it! Dave Lindsey predicted 300-310rwhp with the new LR Super 53 turbo at 15psi with stock injectors and AFM. His estimate was based on a 3" exhaust which I HAVE NOT done yet (currently 2 1/2" w/cat delete).

After the shop put a dyno correction to simulate a typical DynoJet pull...299.8HP! Damn I wanted that 300+ LOL!

From here forward can I round to 300HP???

Peak HP occurred at 5800 RPM and boost was around 14.8psi. Pump gas.

I had 10psi by 2900RPM and full boost at about 4300.

Peak torque was just shy of 300ftlb at around 4800RPM.

AFR's started at 12.2, richened to 10.2 as boost ramped up (4200 RPM) and then leaned as RPMs climbed (13.0 at 6000+).

Dyno Dynamics Dynamometer...the shop called it "the heartbreaker" because it always reads so much lower than the other dyno's in town. They saw 260 and said right away that was a 300HP+ pull. When printing the charts they claimed they used a fairly conservative factor to convert to a typical DynoJet run.

The guys at the shop were OK, however I didn't care for the shop itself...they limited my involvement WAY too much. A friend of mine was there and we both had the impression the whole time of being "sold"..btw I am in sales. I work for a dealership and taking a customer in the shop isn't as big a deal as they made it out to be. It was like pulling teeth to get information and feedback from them. There whole bent (the shop) was to sell me on THEM upgrading my car. I won't name the shop..but I won't go back. I got tired of hearing them talk about the 500HP Honda's they put on their dyno. The experience kinda sucked though I am NOT dissatisfied with the performance of my car!

BTW, the first file has the corrected HP and obviously the one with AFR and boost doesn't.
Attached Images     

Last edited by racerxrick; 11-02-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you getting a downpipe with the exhaust?
Old 11-02-2010, 05:03 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Um, isn't hp and torque supposed to cross at 5250rpms? That a sort of odd way to display it, isn't it?

Decent enough pull, will be interested to see if you get much from the 3" exhaust. From what I saw when Karl did a test on a Mustang dyno, I think the real gain was the cat delete.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Something is WAY off with something here. First, your torque and hp are not crossing at 5250 where they should be. 10 psi by 2900 looked promising, perhaps a little late, but it shouldn't take you another 1400 to get to full boost. Also, peak torque should be around 4k, not where it's at. I wonder how they rolled the throttle on, what gear it's in, and if they work with Porsche's since you mention Honda's. Your peak number wasn't bad for that boost through a stock pipe, but not much else makes sense. You probably have a number of problems that need sorting out.
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 11-02-2010, 05:14 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sh944
Um, isn't hp and torque supposed to cross at 5250rpms? That a sort of odd way to display it, isn't it?

Decent enough pull, will be interested to see if you get much from the 3" exhaust. From what I saw when Karl did a test on a Mustang dyno, I think the real gain was the cat delete.
welll. hell what do i know!

Not really concerned about the exhaust...I think the real power will be adding a MAF and injectors (of course the exhaust will be needed then).

After those upgrades and 18psi I should be able to lay donw some bigger numbers.

Actually hoping to do a Vitesse MAF system and be able to use the E85 map and crank it up a bit more

On second thought let me edit this...I like the power level it's at now! If it has issues I want that solved. The car is a blast and fast the way it is.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:16 PM
User 41221
Banned

Mike, if you look at teh chart, you'll see they have different scales at either side that don't line up. If you adjust the torque curve up to 5250, you 'll see that you get the same reading, but I agree, its a bit odd to display it that way.

I was wondering about the delay in getting to full boost and was wondering if the downtiube or crossover pipe isn't starting to collapse, or if there is a decent exhaust leak somehwere.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:22 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike Lindsey
Something is WAY off with something here. First, your torque and hp are not crossing at 5250 where they should be. 10 psi by 2900 looked promising, perhaps a little late, but it shouldn't take you another 1400 to get to full boost. Also, peak torque should be around 4k, not where it's at. I wonder how they rolled the throttle on, what gear it's in, and if they work with Porsche's since you mention Honda's. Your peak number wasn't bad for that boost through a stock pipe, but not much else makes sense. You probably have a number of problems that need sorting out.
As mentioned previously it was like pulling teeth getting information from the shop. Now that I think about it I'm not even positive they made the pull in fourth gear. As far as how they rolled the throttle on...hell I don't know.

I wasn't happy how they held me away from the action. Even hooking the car up they made me wait in the customer area.

What feedback I did get took a lot of effort.

I'm not even sure where to go from here? The car is running great and I'm very happy with the power...not really in a hurry for more at all.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:26 PM
User 41221
Banned

My advice is cheap, if you want it. If you are happy, drive it for a while. It doesn't cost you anything to do so, and you can get used to the car. You won'[t blow your engine up with the A/F mix you have, so try and drive it about 6 months and then see where you want to go with it. You might surprise yourself and be content (lol, okay, so who am I fooling... )
Old 11-02-2010, 05:26 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

and no...they don't work with Porsche's (or at least rarely).

I'm all ears for a recommendation in Dallas??
Old 11-02-2010, 05:29 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sh944
My advice is cheap, if you want it. If you are happy, drive it for a while. It doesn't cost you anything to do so, and you can get used to the car. You won'[t blow your engine up with the A/F mix you have, so try and drive it about 6 months and then see where you want to go with it. You might surprise yourself and be content (lol, okay, so who am I fooling... )
I love cheap advice! As far as advice do you mean maybe the downpipe or crossover collapsing?

And I'm afraid i didn't follow on your comment to Lindsey about the way they graphed the chart?

I did overhear the shop forman really questioning the tech and looking a little confused how he charted the pulls??
Old 11-02-2010, 05:33 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are you running a stock AFM with a bigger turbo?

Not bad numbers to be honest. I wish I could have put my bigger turbo on. But I'm going to just keep my car closer to stock for a while.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:38 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

OK I searched and looked at some other dyno charts...I see that it is weird that the HP/TQ numbers aren't lined up. I guess that explains why the numbers don't cross at 5250.

BTW, my main concern was whether my AFR's are reasonable or not. If these numbers demonstrate other issues than great...time to work on those. I am NOT in a hurry for the next upgrade (Though I do have a line on a stainless 3" exhaust)
Old 11-02-2010, 05:41 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
How are you running a stock AFM with a bigger turbo?

Not bad numbers to be honest. I wish I could have put my bigger turbo on. But I'm going to just keep my car closer to stock for a while.
I blew a headgasket and was having that work done so I had the head freshened and decided to replace the stock 142k turbo at the same time. Tried not to go with too much turbo though wanted room for growth (injectors and MAF).
Old 11-02-2010, 05:44 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

See if you can get new, correct, printouts of your pulls, they should have the raw data on file and be able to produce any type of graph combination. You paid for the information, and they delivered you a poor product.

For the graphs, look at the Y scales. The numbers scaling on the right and left of the graph are not the same, this is why the lines do not cross at 5250. The curve shapes are correct, but the relation is not correct.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:49 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

thank you very much (to all that have responded). I have never even seen a dyno pull before and was out of my element.

I'll call and see what i can get them to do.

Again...was completely unhappy with the experience and didn't expect that.

Rick

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
See if you can get new, correct, printouts of your pulls, they should have the raw data on file and be able to produce any type of graph combination. You paid for the information, and they delivered you a poor product.

For the graphs, look at the Y scales. The numbers scaling on the right and left of the graph are not the same, this is why the lines do not cross at 5250. The curve shapes are correct, but the relation is not correct.

Quick Reply: (UPDATE...pull was in third gear) Dyno Heartbreaker today!