Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Kevlar Timing Belt - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 06:34 PM
TX951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
I don't see why horse power and belt strength are being linked. I can see racing vs street use, since the overall operating rpm will be higher and there are lots of fluctuations in rpm with faster shifting. The only other difference would be that engines with higher hp may also have stiffer valve springs.
All else being equal, free revving the engine will put more strain on the belt than any race acceleration condition, regardless of engine hp. Ever wonder why most people who have had the belt break, have "I was leaving a stop sign (or traffic light) when the belt broke" in their posts? Its because we put more strain on the belt leaving from a stop in first gear than we do in a full throttle pull in third gear.

Sure the use of kevlar in this belt is probably overkill. In fact I think its the presence of this, buzz word, material that has fueled this whole thread. Most people are questioning the need of a kevlar belt, when in reality its the rest of the belt material that makes these a good choice. The fact that kevlar is used in the belt's construction is just a secondary feature. But buzz words like kevlar get the sales dept all hot and excited so they push that feature above all else, even if it adds little value to the overall design.

Travis-
Any plans to carry these or a modern non kevlar belt to fit the 968?
I'd disagree that it's the rest of the material (not the Kevlar) that make the belt stronger. It's the fiber (core) strength that holds the belt together, and is the last line of defense before a break.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:36 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TX951
I'd disagree that it's the rest of the material (not the Kevlar) that make the belt stronger. It's the fiber (core) strength that holds the belt together, and is the last line of defense before a break.
Its the material that last longer and might have a higher shear strenght (on the tooth) 3+ years after the belt is installed.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:40 PM
TX951
Instructor

Originally Posted by carlege
Its the material that last longer and might have a higher shear strenght (on the tooth) 3+ years after the belt is installed.
Thought I saw some references in this thread to people finding loose teeth on the belts when they change them. In those cases - the fiber core saved them. But this is a pretty muddy thread.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:47 PM
carlege
Drifting

Thought I saw some references in this thread to people finding loose teeth on the belts when they change them. In those cases - the fiber core saved them. But this is a pretty muddy thread.
I believe they were referring to the OEM (neoprene) belts. I remember reading that also.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:39 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

MUDDY?

It's as clear as day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCo6u...next=1&index=9
Old 11-01-2010, 08:03 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by carlege
My understanding is that the Kevlar (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) runs through the belt itself, but not the teeth. And the point of failure is sheared teeth. So yes, the Kevlar provides extra strength to prevent the entire belt from snapping, but that's not usually the failure mode. Now, if a coolant leak soaks the belt, then I understand it IS likely to snap, and Kevlar's chemical resistance to this could be a benefit.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:08 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by teamcrossworks
Marines are fine, upstanding citizens, true American heroes, courageous as they come and deadly efficient at what they do.

But god DAMN are they stupid.

Ah, who am I kidding? I'd do the same damn thing if I had a Kevlar helmet!
Old 11-01-2010, 10:09 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by elargentino
Not really adding more resistance with stiffer valve springs to the belt because the belt "sees" the entire system. As one spring gets compressed, another is decompressed, and this opposing decompression assists the compression - it remains relative.
I wasn't putting too much weight on this aspect, but yes, to a point it evens out. It also depends on number of cylinders, their configuration leading and trailing ramp profiles etc..... It's been a while since I've rotated a valve train without the crank attached, but I remember it being a little notchy, similar to rotating a permanent magnet DC motor.

It's more the tooth strength. Which does include the fiber material, but also how it's arranged, the material that's over molded to create the belt shape and how its molded.

For an example, take the Kevlar core of a timing belt and replace the typical material with, lets say, Automotive Goop (do they still make that product). Would you still want to use it? The ultimate tensile strength will be about the same, but the material that wears against the cogs and holds the teeth into shape, will not be up to the task.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:27 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
I don't see why horse power and belt strength are being linked. I can see racing vs street use, since the overall operating rpm will be higher and there are lots of fluctuations in rpm with faster shifting. The only other difference would be that engines with higher hp may also have stiffer valve springs.
All else being equal, free revving the engine will put more strain on the belt than any race acceleration condition, regardless of engine hp. Ever wonder why most people who have had the belt break, have "I was leaving a stop sign (or traffic light) when the belt broke" in their posts? Its because we put more strain on the belt leaving from a stop in first gear than we do in a full throttle pull in third gear.

Sure the use of kevlar in this belt is probably overkill. In fact I think its the presence of this, buzz word, material that has fueled this whole thread. Most people are questioning the need of a kevlar belt, when in reality its the rest of the belt material that makes these a good choice. The fact that kevlar is used in the belt's construction is just a secondary feature. But buzz words like kevlar get the sales dept all hot and excited so they push that feature above all else, even if it adds little value to the overall design.

Travis-
Any plans to carry these or a modern non kevlar belt to fit the 968?
Worst case for a timing belt (in terms of loading) is big 4-cyl motors at idle. Guess what we have?

This is why it specifically states in the 944 driver's manual not to let the engine idle excessively.

Light flywheels make the problem worse.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Gurr.... The kevlar in the belt is great and its true that it is the " last line of defense " but it is by no means the only line of defense.
The teeth have a more robust tooth path coupled with the belt being made out of NHBR polymers to go along with the kevlar bands. These other two parts of the belt allow it to withstand much higher temperatures while being COVERED IN OIL. Lets just take a step back and look at that right there. Even if they didn't have kevlar in them that is a pretty good update right there.

So, the newer cars (100k+ belts) have these other two components of the belt speced out from the factory. This is what makes them 100K belts. The majority of the racing timing belts that Gates already makes are for these cars so they push the "kevlar" part hard. For us, this is just an added bonus to getting an up to date belt for the 944.

Can I just quote this next time the info gets off path again instead of typing it up in a different context every 2 pages because I have a feeling this thread is going to continue on until it reaches the terminal length of the grid girls thread.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:24 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

I do not argue that the belt is not better. I belive it is.

My point is that for stock car its not even close to reasonable.

Second, I find your ebay statement "When it is time to change the timing belt on your 944, this is the ONLY way to go." false.

It is not the only way obviously since 99.9% 944 drivers use regular belts with excellent results. (not to mention 90% belt driven cars on the road that use 10€ timing belts and 0.0001% or less of those belts fail on their own)

Last edited by Voith; 11-02-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:13 AM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by JDS968
Marines are fine, upstanding citizens, true American heroes, courageous as they come and deadly efficient at what they do.

But god DAMN are they stupid.

Ah, who am I kidding? I'd do the same damn thing if I had a Kevlar helmet!
Here's part 2, "oww! that hurt dawg"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMGiU...layer_embedded
Old 11-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
Second, I find your ebay statement "When it is time to change the timing belt on your 944, this is the ONLY way to go." false.
LoL @ the Ebay Pitch. Obviously that is an opinion and there are other ways to go. They didn't discontinue the OEM belts. I will admit, I am no Billy Mays but I try my best on the ebay machine.

I would complain to Porsche as well for their "There is no substitute" campaign.
(we're digging deep now)
Old 11-02-2010, 11:41 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Voith
I do not argue that the belt is not better. I belive it is.

My point is that for stock car its not even close to reasonable.

It is not the only way obviously since 99.9% 944 drivers use regular belts with excellent results. (not to mention 90% belt driven cars on the road that use 10€ timing belts and 0.0001% or less of those belts fail on their own)
Good God Man! Land the fu#king Plane already!
Old 11-02-2010, 11:50 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the Kevlar Belt available in the rick~roll pattern? If so I will take two.

On a different note....who gives a rats *** how someone sells their products? Or maybe someone is still bitter they got hoodwinked on the Slap-Chop:

Name:  vinceoffer-slapchop.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  35.2 KB

Quick Reply: Kevlar Timing Belt - Worth it?