Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

saratoga moon roofs...im thinking about making some

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you make em at those prices, a lot of the folks on Long Island will take one.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:49 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont forget about the mounting hardware and the seal for the roof.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Are you thinking of making these out of tempered glass or some other material?
Old 10-19-2010, 12:46 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like there is alot of interest if you're able to pull it off.

I'm in for 1 as well. TY
Old 10-19-2010, 03:45 PM
jmj951
Pro

I'm in. Just a slightly dark tint though, no reflective or other crazy finishes. Ideally this needs to be a solution that doesn't require my core, as I'd like the option of keeping my original flip-up roof so that the glass/acrylic roof could stay inside during the winter.
Johnathon Jones
Old 10-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jmj951
I'm in. Just a slightly dark tint though, no reflective or other crazy finishes. Ideally this needs to be a solution that doesn't require my core, as I'd like the option of keeping my original flip-up roof so that the glass/acrylic roof could stay inside during the winter.
Johnathon Jones
Ya know I would have said the same thing, but I learned something when a guy came to my house to install a pretty large skylight in my kitchen ... I told him I wanted a clear view of the sky and wasn't interested in that mirrored finish on the outside of the skylight .. Well the guy was pretty adamant about using the one with the coasting telling me that I would roast ... Low and behold he was correct
I would have fried if we had gone with a lightly smoked glass! Yes, I live in CA where its pretty sunny but don't underestimate the power of the Sun ...
I would opt for the reflective finish if its possible to get I think that is the way they originally came ?
Best regards
Ed
Old 10-19-2010, 04:47 PM
jmj951
Pro

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Ya know I would have said the same thing, but I learned something when a guy came to my house to install a pretty large skylight in my kitchen ... I told him I wanted a clear view of the sky and wasn't interested in that mirrored finish on the outside of the skylight .. Well the guy was pretty adamant about using the one with the coasting telling me that I would roast ... Low and behold he was correct
I would have fried if we had gone with a lightly smoked glass! Yes, I live in CA where its pretty sunny but don't underestimate the power of the Sun ...
I would opt for the reflective finish if its possible to get I think that is the way they originally came ?
Best regards
Ed
I see your point - I guess the normal tinted roofs I've had in the past with a Honda Pilot and Nissan Xterra always had another interior cover underneath the moonroof that I could slide shut, so I didn't have to worry about that with those roofs. Only way to do that with this roof is to have an interior cover that velcro's to the top, not sure how well that would work out. I had that on an old C4 with a glass roof, but the sun would melt the velcro adhesive after a year or two.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:57 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

To add some info here. My Saratoga Top is the bronze mirrored glass version which blocks radiant gain better than the dark tint version. It was really great in the Winter months and totally brightened up my black interior without too much heat gain. My quarters and hatch were done in limo tint. Once the temps hit about 70-75 all bets were off, you could cook chickens in the front seat if the car sat in the sun, so I put the solid SR back on most of the time. Granted, I live where it's above those temps 3/4 of the year but be warned about the heat gain. If someone was to make a whole new version I would suggest a roll-out style shade or snap-on hard inner cover if you plan to use it at all in the Summer.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:17 PM
CPR
Race Director

What material are you using?
Old 10-20-2010, 12:50 AM
pwnmastap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im going over different types of materials now and a pull shade that clips like the ones in our hatch'es sound like a great idea. sorta like a non perforated baby cover for car windows
Old 10-20-2010, 01:05 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
To add some info here. My Saratoga Top is the bronze mirrored glass version which blocks radiant gain better than the dark tint version.
Hi Steve
That's the tint that I was referring to
Regards
Ed
Old 10-20-2010, 01:15 AM
rickb20
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default search

Another member went through this process a few years ago and found that the prices commanded for the "real" saratoga sunroofs couldn't be beat by making them. That member was doing tempered, if I recall correctly. Additionally, he was able to get in touch with someone who either worked at, or owned the Saratoga Sunroof company and discussed buying molds, etc. It never came to be.

Having said all that, another member on RL was looking for an inexpensive way to make clear lexan headlight covers. He created a thread which detailed a VERY simple method for heating them in a regular kitchen oven to achieve the proper curve. Perhaps a similar method could be used to make lexan sunroofs.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rickb20
Perhaps a similar method could be used to make lexan sunroofs.
I wouldn't consider paying $400 for a lexan roof. As someone else pointed out, it would look terrible in a very short time. Acrylic would be even worse. Saratoga did it right all those years ago. For the bit more to get a genuine Saratoga tempered glass roof, I wouldn't even think twice.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:30 PM
CPR
Race Director

Mike,

Kudos for taking on this project They are never easy and you'll get killed by both sides either way, lol. Not that you need them, but here are a few things that may help you in having success in this:

1. Lexan or Acrylic would be a no-no. It would go to **** in 1.5~2years. You would have to use a uvr~sr~polycarbonate at the very least and that would be only to give you a pliable & inexpensive moulding material. I can get you sheets (or pellets if you want to make you own blend) of whatever you like @ below wholesale, just let me know.

2. Making a mould is not that difficult for a part that already exists (OEM sunroof). The tricky part is to ensure STRICT tolerances in fit/finish as cabin pressure will result in one of two things:

~excessive road/wind noise/rattle
~hatch blowout/off

The easiest way to ensure correct fitment is to 3DLS the sunroof and convert to SW or CAD, then manipulate from there. If you prefer, I can scan/convert/CNC program and mill a wood mould (or epoxy, aluminum, steel or channeled moulds) to exact spec for a fee.

3. Do a mock up version, or a 3D/4D imaged version that everyone can see. Then set a price point based on commitment. IMO, the PP would have to be in the $200-$275 range with hardware & seals to be an attractive alternative. With Saratoga's reselling only between $390~$600, a $400 alternative is a bit steep when compared to an orginal.

With a 30 commitment minimum @ $275 =$8250

~mould, tooling & set-up (one time fee)= $3891**
~materials= $1016
~vacuum mould/unit CNC trimmed (all)= $3226

TOTAL: $8,133 (this is my bare cost, no markup will be included)

**One time fee only. After first run, only materials and manufacturing costs apply.

4. Include a highly visible disclaimer for 'Off-Road use only'. It relieves you of liability in case of improper use installation by a customer.

5. Good Luck! Anything I can help you with just let me know.

Quick Reply: saratoga moon roofs...im thinking about making some