Old 10-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
Do Russel's chips use MAF code or a AFM to MAF conversion? I know Vitesse code is rewrote code that is designed specifically for a MAF. The same with AutoThority's old MAF chips.
Originally Posted by elargentino
This is correct - you obviously have been talking to people that truly know what they are talking about.
Originally Posted by toddk911
I don't recall AutoThority having ever done a true "MAF Chip".
AutoThortiy did not do a true-MAF chip. Their chip is a tweaked AFM-chip, the transfer function code is exactly the same as stock. It is this code which has to be changed to understand a MAF.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:45 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Ok totally honest, possibly naive question here. Having written some engine control software in a past life for the Ford Powerstroke, I have a basic understanding of sensor outputs and how the software works to use them.

As I understand it (pretty sure I've "got" this but correct me if I am wrong, as I feel like I'm missing something big here) the AFM and MAF both measure airflow. One does it by moving a door (more airflow = moves the door further), one does it by wire temperature change (more airflow = more heat loss in the MAF wire.)

Aside from a transfer function (the math function written to convert sensor voltage to airflow) - how is "true MAF code" different from AFM code updated with the MAF transfer function?

Or is that all that's really changed for a "true MAF" chip - the transfer function? In which case... why is this so hard to change and so elusive for so many people? The MAF manufacturer should be able to provide the transfer function to the developer of the chipset.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:33 PM
redcarman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
It looks like Russell quit posting here as well. I looked at the forums on his site, and the newest thread is from like 2 years ago. Very odd.
Email or phone hime directly as I am sure he will get back to you. Contact info is on his site www.MaxHPKit.com
Old 10-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Well first, the AFM measures air volume while a MAF measures air mass. So DME takes air volume, baro, and IAT to then derive air mass.

Second, the transfer function curve of the AFM is calculated via three tables in an odd fashion (most likely done this way to minimize table size). Because of the way the DME uses these three tables, it is impossible to match the transfer function to an aftermarket sensor without re-writing the code.

Third, the DME software is completely done in assembly, and to keep the processing requirements down, Bosch did quite a bit of the flow calculations beforehand. So what we have is a 24bit representation of flow, but no real way to make it mean anything. Similar can be said about fuel injector size as well.

Fourth, there are acceleration responses that are counting on the physical movement of the AFM vane. These responses need to be addressed as well.

Ect.

Writing software is much easier than reverse engineering it...
Old 10-18-2010, 06:53 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Well first, the AFM measures air volume while a MAF measures air mass. So DME takes air volume, baro, and IAT to then derive air mass.

Second, the transfer function curve of the AFM is calculated via three tables in an odd fashion (most likely done this way to minimize table size). Because of the way the DME uses these three tables, it is impossible to match the transfer function to an aftermarket sensor without re-writing the code.

Third, the DME software is completely done in assembly, and to keep the processing requirements down, Bosch did quite a bit of the flow calculations beforehand. So what we have is a 24bit representation of flow, but no real way to make it mean anything. Similar can be said about fuel injector size as well.

Fourth, there are acceleration responses that are counting on the physical movement of the AFM vane. These responses need to be addressed as well.

Ect.

Writing software is much easier than reverse engineering it...
Ah ha. That explains it then. Thanks for explaining it and not taking offense to my question.

In the early 80s I was still writing stupid games in BASIC on an old Tandy 1000A. By the time I got into control systems we were well beyond the capabilities and limitations of the early 8k chips Though it's always entertaining to see how the early engineers got around the limitations of the hardware at the time.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

"Entertaining"... lol thats a good word to use
Some of the things I've gone through in the code are truly "WTF were they thinking" moments.

I would much rather do an EMS in C. But the hardware simply isn't fast enough, so everything must be done in assembly. And considering this is one of the first electronic fuel injection systems, they didn't always to things the easy way (or performance way either).
Old 10-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I emailed Russel just a few days ago and got a pretty quick response

Quick Reply: AutoThority MAF