Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

What are you doing with the car?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:08 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
What are you doing with the car?
Right now, wondering how I am getting it moved 80 miles with no engine in it..

Long term (to be wrapped up this winter).. setting it up for some fun... but over all modernizing...Mixed use, HPDEs, fun weekend car, occasional weekday use, mostly spirited street use.. potential for track use BUT true track use would require new seats, harnesses, and cage...

On Hand: FMIC, Stand alone, 044 fuel pump, engine connectors, body bits, soon to have my new header / crossover setup...

In process :engine, turbo, exhaust, dash recover and modification...

Planned: rear suspension (coil over, TB delete, monoball bushings), new sways front and rear, Big brakes (6 piston calipers, larger rotors, adjustable bias, new master), headlights, tail lights, body mods, stereo upgrade, charge pipes, WG, BOV, adjustable FPR...

Already on car: Koni yellow coil over front (300lb springs), ground control camber plates, oddjob special strut tower brace, monoball bushings up front, big hole in engine bay, koni sport rear shocks (to be replaced with coil over series 30s, unless 3K falls out of the sky for KWV3)

I know I am forgetting something in all this, but basicly the entire car is recieving a refurb / refresh / rebuild...

Now which one tarett or welt, and what are the pros and cons of each?
Old 10-14-2010, 01:48 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for all the detail. The intended use for my car is very similar to yours, fun-weekend and just completed its first DE.

For me personally, unless I was racing competitively, I simply cannot justify the cost of tarret bars. I just did some quick searching and found the set would be north of $1100. Are they lighter, do they have more adjustablility, yes, the question is how much is that worth to you?

I picked up my welts for ~$350. They are all I will ever need for my intended use for this car. I would rather spend the other $800 on a set of aftermarket control arms, something that is probably also on your to do list. My $0.02
Old 10-14-2010, 02:08 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow...ambitious!
Old 10-14-2010, 03:21 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by racerxrick
wow...ambitious!
Nah, it was a conclusion of eventuality.. I got tired of piecing it one part at a time, and recent life events having dragged the timeline beyond the end of the summer 2010 pushes me to do it once and for all...

untill the 3 liter cometh.... BUT I am trying to do everything else in preparation of the 3L...

It should be back on the road come spring... better than ever, and ready in time to storm the Fest next year!

I HAD a line on some used welts I was going to pick up (but they were gone by the time I got back to em..) and there isn't much cost difference between NEW welts and the taretts... (<$300 IIRC)
Old 10-14-2010, 03:46 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Right now, wondering how I am getting it moved 80 miles with no engine in it..

Long term (to be wrapped up this winter).. setting it up for some fun... but over all modernizing...Mixed use, HPDEs, fun weekend car, occasional weekday use, mostly spirited street use.. potential for track use BUT true track use would require new seats, harnesses, and cage...

On Hand: FMIC, Stand alone, 044 fuel pump, engine connectors, body bits, soon to have my new header / crossover setup...

In process :engine, turbo, exhaust, dash recover and modification...

Planned: rear suspension (coil over, TB delete, monoball bushings), new sways front and rear, Big brakes (6 piston calipers, larger rotors, adjustable bias, new master), headlights, tail lights, body mods, stereo upgrade, charge pipes, WG, BOV, adjustable FPR...

Already on car: Koni yellow coil over front (300lb springs), ground control camber plates, oddjob special strut tower brace, monoball bushings up front, big hole in engine bay, koni sport rear shocks (to be replaced with coil over series 30s, unless 3K falls out of the sky for KWV3)

I know I am forgetting something in all this, but basicly the entire car is recieving a refurb / refresh / rebuild...

Now which one tarett or welt, and what are the pros and cons of each?
John,
I have an 86 dash that doesn't need recovering. Let me know if you want to go that route instead. It will be like 600 bucks cheaper.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

For your intended use i would personally save some money and stick with M030 968 bars. But between the Tarrett and Welt bars, i think i would probably go with the Tarrett's. I had a set of Welt's pass through my hands and they are really heavy. Ive never handled the Tarrett's but just by looking at the pictures they look lighter.. . Not sure if the $400 or so difference between the two sets is worth the few pounds you may save.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:51 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
For your intended use i would personally save some money and stick with M030 968 bars. But between the Tarrett and Welt bars, i think i would probably go with the Tarrett's. I had a set of Welt's pass through my hands and they are really heavy. Ive never handled the Tarrett's but just by looking at the pictures they look lighter.. . Not sure if the $400 or so difference between the two sets is worth the few pounds you may save.
Not overly concerned with weight... weight can be overcome with power... not racing competitively...

And E, thanks, but I am making a few modest changes to the dash while it is out, and before it is recovered.
Did I mention I HATE A pillar pods...
Old 10-14-2010, 05:33 PM
67King
Race Car

I've known a couple of racers to remove those types and replace with the 968 M030 parts. Seems like they are beyond overkill for the spring rate you are running.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:07 PM
xupkid2
Pro

Ive got Welts on my car and Im a big fan. I dont necessairly see the need to spend the extra $$ on the Tarrets
Old 10-14-2010, 09:02 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MO30's
Old 10-14-2010, 09:05 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

^^^ I agree. That is plenty.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:18 PM
jc in rb
Racer

MO3O or if you want a little more adjustability get the lindsey mo3o rear copy with the five holes..
Old 10-15-2010, 12:09 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

John, I found that if I had the MO30 in any other position than full soft the car wanted to over rotate too much. Plus you've only got 3 setting positions with the MO30.
With the Tarretts I've found them able to be used from full soft to full hard. As far as the difference between the Tarretts and the Welts, I always thought the Welts are meant to be heavier and more expensive but both very similar in design and function.

Quick Reply: Sways