Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

help, fire! part it for ls1 or part it all and go to 911?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 08:23 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sebastian944
it's annoying reading threads about fire damage and not knowing the cause. Anyways, please don't go the ls1 route... save your car.
Gasoline?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:36 AM
rdanford
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are thinking it was a bolt on the fuel rail that slowly backed out after the head and wide-fire were replaced last year.....
Old 10-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ohh please fix it sad to see another 951 parted
Old 10-05-2010, 10:52 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 350 Posts

I think it depends on the damage. Obviously my red car isn't nearly as rare a color as yours. When I looked into my options (my stock motor had extremely bad leakdowns), replacing the stock motor with another 951 motor (rebuilt, not a 2.7 or 3.0) was extremely expensive.

The cheapest route I found was to buy a used long block and have a local 944 spec guy install it for me. However I was uncomfortable putting in a used motor and not knowing if it was truly ok.

Having a shop do the install on the used motor would cost $6000. Having a rebuilt motor from Chris White basically started at $5000 and went up to $8000 depending on displacement. Plus labor, plus new programming and/or a bigger turbo for the larger displacement motors.

When looking at it from a financial point of view, I would've just parted the car completely out except I had spent a bunch of money on custom welded rollbars, harness mounts etc. So then I looked into the LS route. While not as cheap as the used motor/buddy install, it was far cheaper than the shop install and/or Chris White motor.

It also will make far more power and be far more reliable for my cars primary use, which is a track car.

Resale value is somewhat up in the air, as it's really no longer a Porsche and will appeal to a smaller buyer segment...
Old 10-05-2010, 11:18 AM
67King
Race Car

I'm torn. My GTO is an all numbers matching car. But I've had it for 21 years. It is mine, and will be for probably ever. So I'm no longer nearly as concerned about getting every nut and bolt right, and I am going to do some upgrades on it.

Having experienced that, I swore that I would never buy a rare car or somethign with collector's value, again. Unfortunately, I've done it twice, since. my Bronco is a very, very rare model, and was one of the first ones made - and I inherited it from its original owner. Then the barn find Turbo S.

When I got my Turbo S (Glacier), I wanted to track it and get rid of the other one (which was on its way, but not nearly as far along as it is now). I had no idea how rare the color was, but I got a lot of rather terse responses and PM's from folks that were none too happy about the thought of "butchering" a Glacier car and turning it into a "track rat."

I ended up deciding to keep it stock. However, I don't know if I'll be keeping it.

I still don't know what I want to do with the Bronco. People had fits when I said I was going to put a 32Valve 4.6L in it, jack it up a little, and cut the quarters. Its rarity has kept me from doing anything thus far, though I imagine I will probably be keeping it.

So, I'm sure that didn't help you much. If you think you may want to sell it eventually, keep it stock. If you want to be buried in it, hack away, and do whatever you feel like. Just for the love of Pete don't change the color.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:55 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 350 Posts

To an extent I agree with you King, but I don't think we're "butchering" these cars. I also don't think that the majority of the 944/951's are collectible. There are exceptions, like a Silver Rose, all stock, low mileage Turbo S, or a very rare color, all stock, low mileage Turbo S.

All the others I think will die a quiet death somewhere, so at that point you might as well do whatever you want to them.

My car was the most common color made (guards red) and while it was an '89 car, it had fairly high mileage and had already had a bolt in rollbar installed. It's value as a collectible was pretty low.

It remains to be seen whether I could sell it for the same amount or more depending on motor. I don't think I've really hurt the resale value of it, it might even be worth more to the right person...
Old 10-05-2010, 01:19 PM
manticore33
Racer

I did not buy my car for collectible status, but you never know if/when something become collectible until it becomes collectible. Look at the work people go through on 914s to save them. Hell, beanie babies?

A lot of people never though those old muscle cars would become collectible. Who knows what the future holds. I'd never put money on predicting a future collectible today.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:11 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by docwyte
To an extent I agree with you King, but I don't think we're "butchering" these cars.
Just for clarification, those were not my words, but rather some of the feedback I got when I suggested turning it into a track car.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Based on my observations over that last 10 years of Porsche 944 variations out there I would say that this summer yellow turbo is one of less than 5 in the States. I would doubt there were more than 5 or 10 NAs brought into the States in this color as well. I would say this is the 2nd or third rarest color that the 944 was offered in. Even the rare 1986 Pearl 944 turbos numbered above 20 copies.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:49 PM
76 911s
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
So, this era 911?
Nope. Thats a '74...no foglights and one year flag mirror. Also has 15x6's all around.

I vote fix the car.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:00 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Josh B
Based on my observations over that last 10 years of Porsche 944 variations out there I would say that this summer yellow turbo is one of less than 5 in the States. I would doubt there were more than 5 or 10 NAs brought into the States in this color as well. I would say this is the 2nd or third rarest color that the 944 was offered in. Even the rare 1986 Pearl 944 turbos numbered above 20 copies.
Less than 5, wow? There's one I occasionally see buzzing around between here and the next town to the north of me (Oak Ridge - yes, THAT Oak Ridge). Maybe I should try to catch him and see if he'd sell. Add that to my Glacier one, and I'd just need to find a Pearl White '86 to be set!

Was there a rare color in 88?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:22 PM
rdanford
Racer

Tom...I too have a early Bronco, cut and lifted. My family is the original owner and it staying with us so I'm building my dream Bronco.

Yes, I know that my color is very rare on the 951 and that is why I'm buying it back. The maintenance on the stock motor has cost thousands and it still has small issues and I want to build my dream Porsche which will stay in my family as long as I'm around. In my mind, it is collectible to me but is driven and not an investment in which I'm expecting a return beside the pleasure I have while driving it. The LS swap makes the most sense to ME because of cost, reliability and fun factors.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pics of the damage might help me and others who have seen fire damage. Can you do any of the Pcar work yourself? Space, talent and tools? If you can, then go back PCar, if you can't and have to have it done, maybe LS1. I'd go back PCar but I can do a lot of the work and have a machine shop not far and a whole lot of parts for engine internals.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:08 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LSx all the way.

Even if the car wasn't burnt.

TonyG
Old 10-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

FIX IT! 911s are all over the place. The summer yellow 951 isn't.

Quick Reply: help, fire! part it for ls1 or part it all and go to 911?!