Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Hylomar sealant

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010 | 04:05 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Default Hylomar sealant

Anyone have experience with Hylomar sealant. This was recommended to me by my machine shop for use on the head gasket. Available in a spray.

Hylomar Universal Blue is the world standard for a non-setting sealant. It is used by many of the world’s automotive manufacturers, major airlines, compressor manufacturers, heavy equipment manufacturers, various OEMs and racing teams. It is a polyester urethane based viscous putty blended with a solvent to make it easy to apply, whether pumped, applied in a tube, or sprayed in an aerosol. It was a revolutionary sealant when it was introduced over 40 years ago, a development product out of Rolls Royce that was used to seal the flanges in gas turbine engines and withstand the high temperatures and intense vibration of a jet engine. A non-setting sealant, it doesn’t harden, even at 250oC. It has a unique curtaining action. As flanges sealed with Hylomar Universal Blue are pulled apart, the material stretches, and then breaks cohesively, leaving sealant on both sides. When the flanges return together, the putty reseals, a self-healing mechanism. This makes Universal Blue a particularly effective sealant on close fitting large flanges which are subject to extreme vibration, distorition, or joint movement, because while the seal may break for a microsecond, it reseals and the fluids remain contained

Universal Blue is resistant to a wide range of fluids, including all industrial fuels, oils, water and brine, air, turbine and piston engine combustion products, water, water/glycol and methanol mixtures, petroleum and synthetic diester lubricating oils, gasoline, lubricating oils, gasoline, kerosene fluids, and most fluorocarbon refrigerants. Hylomar Universal Blue can be used to seal joint faces or threaded parts. It is effective for sealing metal to metal and plastic to plastic. Typical applications include water pumps, oil pumps, instrument inspection covers, cylinder heads, oil sumps, intake manifolds, timing case covers, gear box and transmission housings, and as a coating for pre-formed gaskets.
Old 09-25-2010 | 04:18 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Simply the best stuff available. I have used it on waterpump gaskets and camshaft housing gaskets. After many years, on disassembly, still gummy and sealing. Never have to scrape a gasket off again. Once you use it, you will be converted...
Old 09-25-2010 | 04:25 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I have not used it on a headgasket application but i have used it on basically every other gasket i have ever changed on any car since i found the stuff about 6 years ago. It really is amazing stuff and i swear by it. I also used it on the outter perimeter of the RMS when i did my clutch last year and it has been leak free (and made installing the seal easy).

It was available through Permatex (licensed distributor i guess, still said Hylomar on the tube) a few years ago and could be found at your local autostore.. but they since stopped marketing it. I read not long ago they started redistributing it, but i have yet to see it in any local auto store since. I was lucky and was down at a PepBoys by me and found a few tubes on the shelf in some rather 'aged' Permatex branded packages a few years back.. bought all of them on the spot. Its not a big deal though, easy to buy online.. infact i think Harbor Freight used to carry it.
Old 09-25-2010 | 04:49 PM
apitts73
Racer

im really interested in peoples opinion on this!! about to put my head back on the 3.0l beast in the next week.
Old 09-25-2010 | 05:44 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

PegasusAutoRacing.com has it. Formula car guys use it on gearbox housings. They come apart all the time to change gear ratios.
Old 09-25-2010 | 06:18 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

I used the spray on my Cometic MLS. Worked great.
Old 09-26-2010 | 12:30 AM
951kaos
Advanced

I have used it on industrial applications, like low pressure lube oil system on steam turbines and gearboxes. Works well if mating surfaces are flat or lapped with no warpage and free of oil when assembled. Works good on a gearbox assembly or inspection covers that see little to no pressure (usually less than 15 psi). The company I worked for stop using Hylomar and switched to Loctite Gasket Eliminator 509 due to availability and cost and sealed oil systems better. I don't think I would use it on a head gasket, as it only seals low pressure systems like the cooling system and may not hold up to the cars oil pressure. It would also not seal against cylinder pressures or combustion temperatures.
Old 09-28-2010 | 11:58 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

The only choice for assembling rotary motors.

Quick Reply: Hylomar sealant