Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 as Porsche would build today project

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010 | 02:14 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rickb20
Be sure to look at one of the Rennlist "flwbyu".

His avatar shows one of his updated versions of the 944 if Porsche were to release it today.
Old 09-22-2010 | 02:17 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Originally Posted by rickb20
Be sure to look at one of the Rennlist "flwbyu".

His avatar shows one of his updated versions of the 944 if Porsche were to release it today.
That's the one I remembered also !

Edit: Damn Jason, you beat me to it

Here's the thread https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...che-968-a.html

Old 09-22-2010 | 03:08 PM
jeevyboy
Advanced

Very nice work! Although i guess now the tear drop lenses seem a bit dated I'd love to see something with 997 lights and a sharper nose. I wish i could do work like that on PS!
Old 09-23-2010 | 02:36 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

If you can somehow finish the lights off like a 968 but on the 951 tail, I think you're starting to get there
Not sure about that...

Old 04-07-2011 | 05:44 PM
jeevyboy
Advanced

Well, just as a quick update, the build is in progress. Right now we are midway through the bodywork; the shell was taken back to bare metal, and it has been hot-dipped galvanized. We are making a custom widebody for the rear, using a 968 rear end and blending it. I'm still waiting on some parts from SFR so we can start the engine build. The interior which has had a lot of modern updating done to it is also in progress, everything is getting wrapped a 2 tone leather color scheme, with an alcantara roof liner.

I'm back in the US right now, but will post some pics when i get back to Singapore in the next 2 weeks!
Old 04-07-2011 | 05:54 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

pics...yes pics please!

Originally Posted by jeevyboy
Well, just as a quick update, the build is in progress. Right now we are midway through the bodywork; the shell was taken back to bare metal, and it has been hot-dipped galvanized. We are making a custom widebody for the rear, using a 968 rear end and blending it. I'm still waiting on some parts from SFR so we can start the engine build. The interior which has had a lot of modern updating done to it is also in progress, everything is getting wrapped a 2 tone leather color scheme, with an alcantara roof liner.

I'm back in the US right now, but will post some pics when i get back to Singapore in the next 2 weeks!
Old 10-15-2011 | 04:35 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

From: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Default still no signs of jds...

adding some comments....

Originally Posted by JDS968

You said to set the bar high, so here we go...

If you ask how Porsche would build a 924 in 1982, the answer is a 944. If you ask how Porsche would build a 944 in 1989, the answer is a 944 S2. If you ask how Porsche would build a 944 S2 in 1992, the answer is a 968. So now the question you'd have to ask is, how would Porsche build a 968 in 2010?

I think you would definitely have to start from the 968 body and then make changes from there.... the front bumper should probably be subtly reshaped. I think the biggest issue is that modern Porsches have very large air intakes in the front. odd, that the front-engined 968 got away with very few square inches of air intake, and the current mid and rear-engined models have much larger intakes,

so (just like the 911, Boxster variants), it would probably need two tall intakes on either side of the front bumper, and one long, low intake across the center... Also, whereas the 968 front bumper smoothly tucks under, blending into the first underbody pan, you should add a protruding lip, a subtle splitter, both for practical reasons, and to match the modern designs.

od: wow. just discovered this thread. i believe many of us have pondered this idea and come to similar conclusions. although i started my 968 valance update project only this past may, i purchased a 997 bumper cover to blend into the 968 structure back in late '09. but meditated (procrastinated) until this spring.

Next, look at the long crease on either side that extends from the front fender, just outboard of the headlight, all the way back across each door.... becomes most prominent on the rear fender flare, and then continues all the way back to the corner, where it finally smooths at the back where it becomes the joint between the body panel and the rear bumper skin. While the 968 smoothed out the 944 lines considerable, that crease needs to be smoothed out to fit with the lines of modern Porsches. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing though...I'm convinced that the styling of the 968 is a definitely improvement over the 944, but I think they were right to keep that crease...

love the crease but it's making it really hard to picture smoothing the curves after spotwelding the 993 eye sockets into my 968 fenders (to house the 993 xenon lamps) which need to sit at the close-to-stock angle.

wheels. 18" mandatory. I think the 2002 "Carrera" wheel looks best.... I believe those (relatively) minor changes would actually make the 968 look very, very modern. It's a timeless design that has aged shockingly well, and would take well to updates.

fantastic insight.

As for the powerplant, a 2010 Porsche "968" would have the 300hp 3.6L direct-injected Variocam...

naww, just that newer version of the old 377 sbc combo, a mild cam and good pipes.

As for the interior...I don't know. I think a late 968, with an all-black interior, looks perfect. That's the way a sports car should look. Oh well...

Josh, you read my mind.

And of course, no vinyl. Anywhere. As I understand it, Porsche doesn't do vinyl anymore.... the best option is probably just to leather-wrap all vinyl surfaces.

planning' on it. but that dash is gonna be obscene money....

brilliant post. i had not been aware of the op's thread until now.... i know this kid (jds).. been inside his lovely home just a few blocks from all the mayham. he's got good taste and a level head far in advance of his years... i'm getting a little worried though. since he disappeared off the forums about 2 months ago.

some of you probably know i've been working on an update for the front valance on my 968. i was about 72 hours from finishing the body work when i had to leave town for about a month. really pisses me off that i can't yet show the latest progress except to say i'm pretty stoked.. can't wait to show you all.

od.
Old 11-09-2011 | 05:41 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

some pics.... i should have the passenger side duct sculpted later tonight.

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...lastics-8.html
Old 11-09-2011 | 06:01 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by odurandina
some pics.... i should have the passenger side duct sculpted later tonight.

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...lastics-8.html
So you aren't just a troll that loves LS engines. Very cool man.
Old 11-09-2011 | 10:56 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

thanks (i think)...
Old 11-10-2011 | 10:48 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

So after contemplating the question “944 as Porsche would build today project” the simple answer is that Porsche would add 1,000lbs, two more doors, an automatic transmission and at least 6 cup holders. There would be at least 8 acronymed nanny features that can’t be defeated.
The warranty would be voided if you drove within 15 miles of a race track.

And they would still use the same water pump supplier…..

(in case you didn’t guess it I am not a fan of the direction Porsche is heading)
Old 11-10-2011 | 06:44 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

OK, here's some ideas for the looks...:

When you overdo that you're going to the right direction. OTH I'm biased to say because that was mine...

PS: Who really needs 968's rear end?? Only problem with 944's rear is those lights, but an innovative builder would find a way to solve the problem. And I do not mean clear-glass ricer-look.

PPS: MY side skirts were also vented. Removed the vents because they were totally unfunctional, just for looks. IMO a big failure...
Old 11-10-2011 | 07:35 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
So after contemplating the question “944 as Porsche would build today project” the simple answer is that Porsche would add 1,000lbs, two more doors, an automatic transmission and at least 6 cup holders. There would be at least 8 acronymed nanny features that can’t be defeated.

To be fair, a bone stock 320 hp Cayman S comes with a six-speed manual transmission and only 2976 pounds. That's about as good as you can [legally] do these days on a production car. Maybe Lotus has them beat, but that's about it.

But yes, it still has all sorts of mandatory electronic crap and gizmos that it just shouldn't have.
Old 11-10-2011 | 07:49 PM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Cool project
Old 11-10-2011 | 09:09 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White

(in case you didn’t guess it I am not a fan of the direction Porsche is heading)
I've heard of a nice car called the Panamera, I hear the water pump is bullet-proof and never needs servicing. You should check it out... you might like it.

Quick Reply: 944 as Porsche would build today project