Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
Old 09-20-2010, 08:55 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray_Singh
Jevvy - Singapore? Bit of a far cry from Bagshot??

I think the answer to your question is a Cayman S. The market for the 924, 944 and 968 was filled due to demand for that type of car.
Fast forward 25 years and the Cayman S is filling the void now.
I agree, and for this reason I think we should alter the question slightly. I think you should answer what would you do to bring your car into the 21st century? Rather than talk about other cars, hypothesize about modernizing a 944, otherwise it may as well be on another forum.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:01 AM
jeevyboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JDS968, thanks for the great insights!! will definitely take away a lot from that!

Ray, I have no doubt that the Cayman S fully replaces the 944 turbo market segment of 2010. But the point of this build is the fact that the 944 cars are rare here in Singapore. Caymans are a dime a dozen (for as long as their produced, and then exported before the 10 year mark). I'd much rather have something special that i can build to my own personal specifications.

Truly i could go for a complete restyling of the front facia and even get the 968 nose to look 997 like, with repositioned lights with nose and all. But i guess i want to keep the "soul" of the 944 series intact.I do love the 968s, but i think that it has a bit of a "crosseyed" look to it, which is why i would still be in favour of the 944 turbo nose. This is unless i can somehow come up with a look that blends the old look in with the new, subtly enough for those who know to be able to recognize it. Unfortunately im no car designer, as much as i would like the skills and talents to be one .

I know in the US with muscle car tuners, they do the same thing, and call them Super Muscle Cars. Old cars, all new tech, and a whole new lease on life with better performance! Thats where im going with this.

So in reality there will be areas that we will not be able to really replicate what Porsche is doing with todays production cars of this market segment on this build, but there are other areas where we can exceed them (anyone say BHP?) ! All in all, a 944/968 turbo 2010 edition.

Im really liking some of the ideas being thrown around so far, especially from Robe952 and JDS968. I really appreciate the constructive advice!

Im definitely planning on a central exhaust, a Porsche traction control system, leather wrapping mostly all the interior, changing the interior lighting, going for an 18-19" wheel set, and definitely doing something unique with the suspension.

The rest is all good stuff that im going to seriously think about. Will have to bring it up with my mates later this evening .

Thanks for the great stuff! And keep it coming!
Old 09-20-2010, 10:56 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray_Singh
I think the answer to your question is a Cayman S.
I thought about that, but I don't think that's necessarily true.

I believe they would occupy different market niches, much like Ferrari has their smaller mid-engined car (458 Italia) and their smaller front-engined rear-transaxle car (California).

Originally Posted by jeevyboy
Truly i could go for a complete restyling of the front facia and even get the 968 nose to look 997 like, with repositioned lights with nose and all. But i guess i want to keep the "soul" of the 944 series intact.I do love the 968s, but i think that it has a bit of a "crosseyed" look to it, which is why i would still be in favour of the 944 turbo nose.
If you're very attached to the 944 Turbo nose, you could do that conversion I've already seen a few times on here, where people replace the pop-up lights with fixed lights underneath aero glass, but instead of the old-style rectangular sealed beams that were originally used in that conversion in the '80s, you use two projectors (preferably xenons).

This is unless i can somehow come up with a look that blends the old look in with the new, subtly enough for those who know to be able to recognize it.
What do you think about the 968 front end with the 993 headlight conversion?

I know in the US with muscle car tuners, they do the same thing, and call them Super Muscle Cars. Old cars, all new tech, and a whole new lease on life with better performance! Thats where im going with this.
I'm not familiar with this term, sounds like you're talking about a "resto-mod"?

18-19" wheel set
If you go to 19", I think you might find that you need to enlarge the openings in the fenders, otherwise they simply won't look right...you'll either be forced to go with excessively low-profile rubber (which leads to poor ride characteristics, and looks bad), or you will have too little fender clearance (which can lead to tire rubbing, and again looks bad).

definitely doing something unique with the suspension.
This is something I'll be watching very eagerly!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:26 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 968 Body would be perfect for this as a base. As much as I love the 944 turbo the 968 rear end looks so good. Also with the 968 993 headlight conversion it looks pretty modern actually. I'm sure you could find a HID 993 conversion as well.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:36 PM
jeevyboy
Advanced

Alright, just popped back from meeting up with my mate the mech! My 964 is in his shop and hes been so kind as to loan me his brand spanking new Merc E-Cabrio, riding on SLR wheels till its ready. A real beauty, and a damn quick one too!

Anywho.... after a bit of chit chatting we decided that we would probably end up sticking with the turbo nose. We have chosen this for several reasons.Even though we realize that we can easily do a swap out on the 968 nose with 993 HID lights (like ive got on my 964 in my avatar), it still looks "soft", and unmistakably from the 993 era, with its "smiley face" lines and "cross eyed" look. Dont get me wrong! I think they look beautiful, but even with the face lift, it would be hard to look the part sitting next to a 997 turbo. Second reason is that in our humble opinion, the 944 turbo look still looks very relevant even in todays car design world. Its simple yet aggressive snub nose is as attention grabbing as ever. Third, if this car is going to be paying homage to the 944 and 968 lines, then it should have equal representation, the 968 gets the rear and the 944 gets the front . If its going to tango with the 997 in terms of looks, its going to have to be in sheer aggressiveness.

924SDriver, i will definitely be using the 968 rear end, i can already see how good its going to look with a twin pipe exhaust coming out of the center of the rear bumper! Also planning on using LED panels under the stock lenses to give it a more modern look too!

We had a chat about the lights too. I wanted to go with a conversion but he made a good argument against it. He told me that Porsche have almost always had round headlights, and in a way he's right. There is something unmistakable about looking in the rear view mirror to see a set of round headlights, with a silhouette of a wide body behind you... You just know its a Porsche. I cant bring myself to part with that, even though i would like nothing more than to get rid of the flip ups.. As such, we will keep the full flip ups, but convert them to projectors to modernize them. For looks sake, i wont really get them out unless i really need them, because the fog lights should be ample light for the roads here.

We came up with a cool idea to incorporate the LED running lights into the 944 turbo nose. It will look stock, but the LEDs will be there... This is just something i'm looking forward to completing then showing off when done

Last edited by jeevyboy; 09-20-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:18 AM
jeevyboy
Advanced

Finally downloaded Photoshop and got to work on some pics to get a better idea of what the concept would look like:

I started out with a car i found online with the flared fenders on a turbo nose:

Then i photoshopped in the vented sideskirt, i melded in the flares to match the lines of the car, and i changed out the wheels.

Finally, i added the 968 rear bumper, and here is the finished product. Sorry about the quality, my PS skills are elementary at best.

I think it looks quite modern. Any thoughts?
Old 09-22-2010, 01:31 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

I really like those wheels...but I think they're a bit too "busy" for this application. And maybe an inch too big? Not sure about that.

Just for fun, why don't you try mocking up the 18" Carrera wheel?

Edit: I also really like the 968 Turbo S wing...the 944 spoiler really dates the car and just looks pretty **** in general
Old 09-22-2010, 06:45 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I think 19's look fine on these cars no matter that it's against the puritans. Most wheels look too small in balance on our cars. I will also go against the popular opinion about the 968 rear end looking better than the 951. It does look more modern and it does present a cleaner finish with better seals and tolerances, but it sticks out too far behind the rear wheels and that's the best feature of the 951. The snub rear end with flowing off the sexy hip bulge. The 968 straightened these great curves out and it almost looks too 996ish. If you can somehow finish the lights off like a 968 but on the 951 tail, I think you're starting to get there. It's at this point that I normally post these pics. While it's never to everyone's taste, it makes a few of my points. Firstly the 19" wheels while not my choice of design for our cars, show the balance of size and the rear end has been treated to a modern makeover. In fact the workmanship is second to none IMHO.
Attached Images   
Old 09-22-2010, 12:54 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Everything about that ^ car looks amazing....except the nose. It looks like they stole it off of a nissan.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:59 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Todays 951 is here... Just not German..

Old 09-22-2010, 01:19 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
lol, that made my day... wonder if the guns work on the hood lol
Old 09-22-2010, 01:23 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I think 19's look fine on these cars no matter that it's against the puritans. Most wheels look too small in balance on our cars. I will also go against the popular opinion about the 968 rear end looking better than the 951. It does look more modern and it does present a cleaner finish with better seals and tolerances, but it sticks out too far behind the rear wheels and that's the best feature of the 951. The snub rear end with flowing off the sexy hip bulge. The 968 straightened these great curves out and it almost looks too 996ish. If you can somehow finish the lights off like a 968 but on the 951 tail, I think you're starting to get there. It's at this point that I normally post these pics. While it's never to everyone's taste, it makes a few of my points. Firstly the 19" wheels while not my choice of design for our cars, show the balance of size and the rear end has been treated to a modern makeover. In fact the workmanship is second to none IMHO.
I love that car for the most part lol, I got those pics too... i think if your gona do fender flares get the modern style instead of the ones made for the 951... It seems to flow better if your trying to make it more modern looking. The in the above post just used full fender flares that you can get on ebay for 150-250 and it's not hard to mold them it either.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:58 PM
rickb20
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default For ideas

Be sure to look at one of the Rennlist "flwbyu".

His avatar shows one of his updated versions of the 944 if Porsche were to release it today.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:01 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

THIS.

Quick Reply: 944 as Porsche would build today project