Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil flow schematic? Plumbing in an Accusump

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 12:10 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil flow schematic? Plumbing in an Accusump

Yes, I've searched. Yes I've seen the diagram that is seen on Clark's and other places. Not telling me what I am after.

At the end of the day, I am trying to decide the best way to mount my Accusump (3Qt). Options are tapping into the oil cooler circuit or using a sandwich adapter, unless someone knows of a tapped and plugged hole to the mail gallery on the block (which, if there, is probably too close to the exhaust anyway).

Tapping into the cooler lines has a couple of advantages. First, I can run a one-way valve upstream of the Accusump, to ensure that oil only goes towards the engine. Second, it will be less expensive in the grand scheme of things, considering I know that I will eventually be putting on a bigger, aftermarket oil cooler. The disadvantage of it is that I will be dealing with unfiltered oil.

Using a sandwich adapter may (I need to verify) give me filtered oil, but it also has the potential to force oil both ways, as I can't put in the check valve. It also requires the purchase of a sandwich adapter. Summit sells the correct part number for $60, but it is described as having an inlet and an outlet, which won't work. Canton lists the price at $80 for a single inlet.

So that gets to my question. Does anyone have a schematic? I'm not sure of a couple of things. First, which way the oil flows through the oil cooler. If I put in a check valve, and I put it on the wrong side, I could cause some serious damage. Second, which way the oil flows through the filter. I thought that it always flowed inside to outside. However, I've heard that on these cars, it does the opposite. And I want to think that when I cut open a filter on one with a spun #2, the debris was on the outside, which would reinforce that.

If anyone reading this happens to know, I'll go ahead and ask the question. The metric to -AN adapters (22mm to -10 or 12) that are commonly sold. Do they replace the fittings that are in the oil filter adapter and oil cooler? From looking at them, that is hte only way I see that they'd work.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:17 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know about the adaptors but I think it would be best to call accusump and get their opinion.

I do know that the AN to metric fittings on the oil filter adapter do replace the stock steel fittings. I used British American Transfer to get mine or they sell metric -12 fittings so there is no need for new M22 -12 fittings. http://97.74.103.94/files/kits.pdf the link is their Porsche Oil Cooling Guide. It is mostly 911 stuff though but it has some useful info.

Quick Reply: Oil flow schematic? Plumbing in an Accusump