Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

vitesse

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 12:29 AM
jb-kix
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vitesse

has anyone ever bought vitesse parts from someone ,then needed to get support from jon on setup? what does he charge?im sure im going to need it.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:32 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He is usually great about his support, if need be you can ask on here, as many here (not me though) have been running his stuff for quite a while.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I would try advice from the forum first and not bother John unless you have a problem that no one else has seen (its almost always a ground issue with the stock wiring!).

John’s very helpful but if everybody that picks up some used Vitesse parts starts asking for support his patience my drop off a bit!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

+1 Chris, we would all like to keep him around here
Old 09-03-2010, 03:38 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I'd disagree with that advice, Chris, altho I understand where you are coming from and I am sure John appreciates it as well.

I have seen any number of "helpful" 'listers that didn't have actual experience try to dispense all sorts of advice over the years, leading to some pretty wild goose chases and occasional catastrophic results for the person seeking help. As long as the original poster understands that Johns time is worth something, I think it would be best for the OP to contact John first and let John decide what he would want to charge for the support needed. After that discussion has taken place, then the OP can seek out advice as needed on the 'list and try and sort through the good vs bad advice or elect to get Johns support as needed.

In my experience as a Vitesse customer (with a LOT of Vitesse equipment on my 951), no one knows the Vitesse products better than John and he is usually the shortest path to getting your car up and running. Johns support of his product is as good as you will find anywhere, he is prompt and accurate.

I am sure John will chime in before long and state what his preference is.

Please note: I am *not* flaming Rennlist in general, as it is a valuable knowledge base, but you have to be careful how you apply the knowledge or else you might get burned.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:58 PM
carlege
Drifting

Is it the fact that you dont have instructions? I would post on the forum and then if worst comes to worst bother the big man. Lots of people have his stuff so i doubt you will run into a problem that hasnt been seen before.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:29 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Step 1. Read instructions
Step 2. Read the instructions again
Step 3. Leak test the intake system and make repairs as required
Step 4. Verify fuel pressure and flow after you have installed a new 3.0 FPR and the correct injectors
Step 5. Clean the ground connections in the battery box, negative cable and ground on bellhousing as a minimum.
Step 6. Verify the FQS is in the 0 position
Step 7. Verify all of the wiring is correct before turning on the power
Old 09-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jb-kix
has anyone ever bought vitesse parts from someone ,then needed to get support from jon on setup? what does he charge?im sure im going to need it.
If you read this thread, you will get some insight into John's attitude and policy of support for non-original owners, etc.:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...d-spark-4.html

So don't expect a free lunch!
Old 09-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark944na86

So don't expect a free lunch!
+1.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:17 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Let me know what you need help on...I'm local and can help out. I have a lot of Vitesse stuff on my car...even though it's not in WA yet.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:06 AM
jb-kix
Instructor

emailed john ,he got right back to me ,i think all will be good .he has know problem helpin out alittle,but anything major i will need to pay for his time ,totally fair. might not even need his help,just good to know hes there.thanks again
Old 09-04-2010, 08:52 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sh944
I'd disagree with that advice, Chris, altho I understand where you are coming from and I am sure John appreciates it as well.

I have seen any number of "helpful" 'listers that didn't have actual experience try to dispense all sorts of advice over the years, leading to some pretty wild goose chases and occasional catastrophic results for the person seeking help. As long as the original poster understands that Johns time is worth something, I think it would be best for the OP to contact John first and let John decide what he would want to charge for the support needed. After that discussion has taken place, then the OP can seek out advice as needed on the 'list and try and sort through the good vs bad advice or elect to get Johns support as needed.

In my experience as a Vitesse customer (with a LOT of Vitesse equipment on my 951), no one knows the Vitesse products better than John and he is usually the shortest path to getting your car up and running. Johns support of his product is as good as you will find anywhere, he is prompt and accurate.

I am sure John will chime in before long and state what his preference is.

Please note: I am *not* flaming Rennlist in general, as it is a valuable knowledge base, but you have to be careful how you apply the knowledge or else you might get burned.
Yes, you do have to apply a BS filter to anything from the internet!

One point that can’t be stressed enough when it comes to modifying anything that is engine management related – if you are have a ‘drivability issue’ before you make an engine management modification don’t expect it to go away, in fact it will usually get worse. Fix the basic problems before modifying!

I share some of John’s feelings on product support – you would not believe the number of calls I get from people that bought their Electromotive systems somewhere else and are having problems (also like John I still help them out but it is still frustrating sometimes!). For each system that goes out my door the support is included in the price (same with John). If John sells 100 units a year and figures on 5 hours of support for each system (all numbers are hypothetical!) that means that ¼ of his time for the entire year is devoted to that support. You can only imagine how many of his products are resold either on the car or separately – if he ‘gives away’ support for all the used stuff he will not have any time to develop new products….and I would like him to continue to develop good stuff for our cars!

So I still think the first step is to post the issue here and see if you get a response that might help. Take the answers with a grain of salt, you can usually figure out who is knowledgeable and who is not…
Old 09-04-2010, 08:13 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jb-kix
emailed john ,he got right back to me ,i think all will be good .he has know problem helpin out alittle,but anything major i will need to pay for his time ,totally fair. might not even need his help,just good to know hes there.thanks again
Old 09-04-2010, 10:02 PM
running_cold924
Racer

john is good and so are his products....if you have some questions on his stuff, i'd use the search button on here first because more than likely, it has already been touched upon.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:00 AM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are the original purchaser of a Vitesse product you will get the best product support there is. If you have purchased a used Vitesse item you will have wished you were the original purchaser.

Quick Reply: vitesse