Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Got hit this morning, need some advise

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 06:11 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OH, and MOST of the damage, at least from your pics, appears to be cosmetic, it CAN be repaired...
Old 09-01-2010, 06:18 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg, if you part it, let me know.

That center console and lower dash would look great in my car....and I can make it to loveland in 20 minutes....

-Dana
Old 09-01-2010, 06:26 PM
carlege
Drifting

Im pretty sure that if he wanted to part out the car he would start a FS parts thread. Leave the Save me "xxxxx" for that thread
Old 09-01-2010, 06:31 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
OH, and MOST of the damage, at least from your pics, appears to be cosmetic, it CAN be repaired...
I am actually very curious to see what the estimate comes back at and what they value the car at. If I can fix it I'll gladly do that. I've of course been pondering the possibilities all day and have come to realize that what makes me sad is that I'm not "done" with the car, the prospect of getting something different doesn't really excite me.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

John may have point. It may not be totaled.

I have a friend out here who was rear-ended in a Turbo S; car was not as clean as yours but had a chunk of money in go-fast parts sunk into it. He was able to get an appraisal of nearly 35k on the car. This justified the insurance company putting a set of factory panels in the car to replace the damage. If your frame isn't totally tweeked, you may well be in the same boat.

I'd explore some options before you throw in the towel and agree to total - the uniqueness and condition of car will give you some latitude.

PS - if you want to me to connect you to my friend so you can exchange notes; let me know and I'll hook you up.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:35 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jeff, if you want to PM me your friend's contact information that would be great, I'd really like to talk to someone who has been through this recently.

Thanks much.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:43 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

Sorry to hear about this Greg! I'd either swap everything over to another shell or have this one repaired if possible. Or buy it back and part it out if that's what you chose to do.

Having had to deal with insurance companies with my uber modified Audi S4, I can tell you they don't care at all about all the special parts we put on the cars.

In fact, since they weren't taking them into consideration I asked if I could just remove them all and leave them a pile of stock parts and they were fine with that.

You can push them on the condition of your car, but to get the car appraised for far more than book value and have them accept that will be very hard. My S4 was worth close to $25-28k with the mods, I got $17k for it and I bought the car back for $2500. I parted it out and ended up with $35k in hand...
Old 09-01-2010, 06:55 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Doc, I'll give you a call in the next day or two, like to pick your brain a bit.

Anyone want to take a guess on what they'll offer for an '87 with 92, xxx miles on it and (formerly) bright shiny paint? (again, I haven't heard anything from either insurance company yet).
Old 09-01-2010, 06:58 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

I should add that I was able to open the driver's door, the hatch still works and the sunroof fit back into place no problem (it was out when the accident happened). Keeping my fingers very much crossed but given all of that it might be straight enough to consider fixing.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you dont mind me asking, what type of insurance coverage do you have on it? I have been meaning to talk to Geico to adjust the coverage on my 951.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:00 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Doh, my stomach just sunk for you Greg. Glad you made it out of the wreck healthy. We've all seen the amount of energy you've put into that car and the results are certainly spectacular. So sorry.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:01 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Full coverage, ie. collision and comprehensive. It had a 'declared' value of $10k with them but I don't know that that means much to the main line insurance companies.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:28 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

With the declared value you might be able to hold them to it. $10k for the car isn't bad! I don't see very many turbo S's selling for that now unless they're pristine, low mileage cars.

Without that rider in your policy I'd bet they wouldn't offer you much more than $5k for it.

I'm around all weekend, just give me a ring when you're ready.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:26 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Keep in mind that "totaled" isnt necessarily whether damage can be fixed, but the cost of fixing the damage compared to the value of the car. I think, in general it is about 75%.

-Dana
Old 09-01-2010, 08:53 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Get a professional appraisal on your own dime and work with your insurance. They will bill the other party when done.

Sorry to see your loss. It really does suck.

Quick Reply: Got hit this morning, need some advise