Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Best Way to Make Power / Power Limits of 951 Engine.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 05:19 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
The old Doom engine had a reported life span of .5 hours in race trim.
30 minutes = 1800 seconds. 10 second passes down a dragstrip. That is 180 passes.

Not too shabby.

-Dana
Old 09-03-2010, 05:37 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to add running time for warm up burnouts shutdown ect.... so a lot less passes
Old 09-03-2010, 06:35 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris White
The old Doom engine had a reported life span of .5 hours in race trim.
his email was about his honda 2.5L not his doom engine... and the all the info about the doom engine on this board is from people way down low on the totem pole and is circumstantial... i figured why not email the main guy and ask him so we can stop going around in circles here...
Old 09-03-2010, 06:56 PM
DivineE
Racer

Originally Posted by George D
It was the most powerful engine Grand Prix racing has ever seen - including the glorious pre-war era with the mighty V12- and V16 units of Mercedes-Benz and Auto Union.The 1.5-litre engine Bavarian Motor Works from Munich entered Formula One atthe South African Grand Prix in 1983 in a Brabham BT50 chassis reached a top level of nearly 1.500 bhp in its qualifying version. In spite of a politically difficult first season with a non-qualification in Detroit as its climax the Paul Rosche designed 4-cylinder-engine became so very fast a competitive one, that Nelson Piquet was able to win the Canadian Grand Prix one week later.

http://www.research-racing.de/bmwturbo.htm

May be a read of interest. Know money, engineering, and money will make your HP dreams come true.
I haven't yet read your link but I've done a fair but of reading up on these cars before. Always puzzled me how no particular aspect (apart from the fuel) stood out as different to allow them to run such absurd power/boost levels 'reliably'

ps The dyno's are the reason I usually assume/hear but what I'd really like to know is if there is some difference in units that explains it. I recently saw a car for sale on here that had comparatively very little done to it and quoted figures 100hp higher than I would expect to see on a similar car here. I have no doubt that the figures quotes were real because even if you blag elsewhere you'd be a fool to post false figures on an add in an open forum.

The main reason I'm asking is, there are so many modified 944turbos in the US that it would make an amazing resource for data but at the moment the results are so varied that the data makes no sense.

A useful bit of information (for example) would be what is the maximum output possible on a 944 for each injector size? Surely this could be worked out mathematically but what people say you need and what people say they have achieved are quite different.

Last edited by DivineE; 09-03-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:17 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by DivineE
ps The dyno's are the reason I usually assume/hear but what I'd really like to know is if there is some difference in units that explains it. I recently saw a car for sale on here that had comparatively very little done to it and quoted figures 100hp higher than I would expect to see on a similar car here. I have no doubt that the figures quotes were real because even if you blag elsewhere you'd be a fool to post false figures on an add in an open forum.

The main reason I'm asking is, there are so many modified 944turbos in the US that it would make an amazing resource for data but at the moment the results are so varied that the data makes no sense.
Are you asking why power figures people quote vary so widely?

It's mostly because people generally test power on wheel dynos instead of engine dynos, and wheel dynos are voodoo.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JDS968
It's mostly because people generally test power on wheel dynos instead of engine dynos, and wheel dynos are voodoo.
LMAO.

You're saying that measuring the actual power that gets transmitted to the road is voodoo...?
Old 09-04-2010, 03:02 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
You're saying that measuring the actual power that gets transmitted to the road is voodoo...?
I'm saying that the machines are voodoo because they produce completely inconsistent results, even on the same dyno day to day. Sure they're useful for testing percentage gains/reductions in power for a particular mod on a particular car that you can bolt on/unbolt within a matter of hours, but for absolute numbers, they're useless.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:27 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 944J
his email was about his honda 2.5L not his doom engine... and the all the info about the doom engine on this board is from people way down low on the totem pole and is circumstantial... i figured why not email the main guy and ask him so we can stop going around in circles here...
Love to know more about your emails with him and what he had to say. I always assumed the guy that came onto one of the threads was the real deal. Went under the username 'Apexx'.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:16 AM
DivineE
Racer

I'm saying that the machines are voodoo because they produce completely inconsistent results, even on the same dyno day to day. Sure they're useful for testing percentage gains/reductions in power for a particular mod on a particular car that you can bolt on/unbolt within a matter of hours, but for absolute numbers, they're useless.
So what we need is an international dyno day to get all the modified cars on the same dyno on the same day. I vote wherever this guy with the 900hp 944 on standard internals lives. That way we'd all leave with a smile I'd love a 1000hp graph for my car it would fit right in with the you tube movie titles "watch as this 800hp 1.3i ford with a K&N filter races the 700hp 1.0 polo"
Old 09-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

In case you are interstred I have one of the Doom blocks and a couple sets of pistons here in my shop.....
Old 09-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Hmmm... the thread title is about making power in 951s and the quote is a little ambiguous – it contains info about Toyotas and 944s (not sure where the Honda comes from) -

We are getting 1600 hp from our 2.5 liter Toyota 4 cly. If you
run alky and a 944 head with the intake porting of a 968 you can make as
much or more than that. I have made 900 hp on gas with this motor in road
race trim. I do not know how much more the bottom end is good for as I have
not leaned on it more than 900. Alky and high compression and boost with the
right cam timing is all it takes. We are making 2500 to 3000 with the 4 cly
in my pro mod car. (fastest 4 cly in the world) If you tell me what you are
going to use the engine for I can be more specific.
BTW - you are very trusting of a response to an Email question….I know of many Norwood customers that will either say he is a wizard or …well I will be nice and not quote the other side on the coin!
Old 09-04-2010, 12:10 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DivineE
So what we need is an international dyno day to get all the modified cars on the same dyno on the same day. I vote wherever this guy with the 900hp 944 on standard internals lives. That way we'd all leave with a smile I'd love a 1000hp graph for my car it would fit right in with the you tube movie titles "watch as this 800hp 1.3i ford with a K&N filter races the 700hp 1.0 polo"
Sounds like a plan!!
Old 09-08-2010, 02:34 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Sport Compact Car proved you wrong. They tested a car on the same day on 3 different Dynojet units and all reported numbers that were nearly identical. Sounds pretty consistent to me. What does a guy have to do? Dyno his car every day on the same dyno to prove to you that the machine is consistent? I have a Dynojet in my garage and could do it for you. However, even if I did you would likely make up some other excuse for why you don't believe the numbers.

If you are talking comparing results between different makes/models of dyno's I would agree - especially on those that require much more user input. The reason I like the inertial dyno unit though as it is simple and consistent. For tuning though you are probably better off with an eddy current dyno.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:26 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

I realize that dyno's, like any other instrument, can have errors. One of the biggest things, that i rarely see posted on dyno sheets is correction factors. Here in Denver that really matters as typical summer factors are 1.25 to 1.30. If that is applied applied to a turbo car it is somewhat misleading.

The NHRA applies half correction to turbo cars which is probably more realistic. However, when I get dyno sheets in Denver, I like to see uncorrected numbers.

If I take the car to a dragstrip, the ET/MPH gives me uncorrected time which should match with the dyno.

Case in point. The Dyno Dynamics vodoo machine "measured" 255rwhp uncorrected for my car. Using a 15% loss, that should be about 294crank hp in Denver. At the dragstip the car posted 103.89mph. On the dragstrip scale with all the crap in the car (fuel, me, spare tire, etc) the car weighed 3290lbs (it needs a diet).

Using the generally accepted formula >>> hp= (trapspeed/234)^3 * weight <<< it shows my car should require 292crank hp to reach that mph.

I have just shown you an instance where a dyno shows the same number as real life within a small window of error. You shouldn't believe all dyno lie.

-Dana

Quick Reply: Best Way to Make Power / Power Limits of 951 Engine.