Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone tried RS Barn Chasis Brace?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 05:12 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

a simple crossbar would be easy to make, the bmw setup could probably be done with some creative tubing to the engine crossmember...

it'd make more sense to measure that distance with the car on the ground vs jacked up, right?
Old 08-23-2010, 09:14 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

I'd be concerned with the clearance issue when used on a car with a larger exhaust?
Old 08-23-2010, 09:21 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I think the full piece shown in Scott's post is a factory part for the convertible 3's.

Unit bodies may be similar with protruding shock towers (from the firewall) and bumper horn mounts but the chassis, side to side deflection has to be worse on the 3-series from what I can see.

I have a couple of each of the cars (318 TI and 944/T) and in my opinion, it's the rigidity of the aluminum engine cross member that sets the Porsche apart.

It's no secret that the 3's a-arms, especially at the rear mount leave a lot to be desired..... and why anyone would decide to further brace this design against flex instead of addressing the flimsy rear a-arm mount is beyond me.

The load of holding camber on a 944 is not fully dependent on the rear caster mount but split by the semi-rigid hinge point at the already stiff engine cross member. Actually, this point probably carries a disproportionate amount of the load because it is more inline with the spindle center line.

I run 255 cross section race tires on 17X9.5 wheels on the front on very bumpy tracks and have never even seen slight bolt deformation when doing periodic maintenance which should be evident if the caster block was moving.

T
Old 08-23-2010, 09:26 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sh944
Cool, any chance you can take a picture of it, I'd love to see it! The B-K guy seems convinced it wouldn't clear and actually talked me out of buying it, as I was willing to take a chance until he said otherwise.
Never had much issue with it being this tight.
Attached Images   
Old 12-19-2014, 01:09 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaCay
The bolts connecting the caster blocks to chassis are in single shear. Looking at the brace, it only solves 50% of the problem. Have the brace connect to the chassis as well and create a true double shear arrangement? Much better.
Re: lower brace, would there be any benefit on the 944 platform to tie it to the crossmember as well and "X" it, as seen on this subaru below (with similar front suspension design)

the 944's alu x-member is probably stiffer than that steel piece on the 'roo but the 'roos x-member (holding the steering rack) is welded to the chassis IIRC instead of bolted like the 944...but the alu xmember has slotted/oversize bolt holes which may allow for "some" movement (hopefully not because those bolts are torqued tight!)

Old 12-19-2014, 01:40 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
I think the full piece shown in Scott's post is a factory part for the convertible 3's.

I have a couple of each of the cars (318 TI and 944/T) and in my opinion, it's the rigidity of the aluminum engine cross member that sets the Porsche apart.
The engine cross member means a lower brace is just a piece of bling on a road car in my opinion.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:42 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Brey Krause is the original manufacturer of the lower chassis brace. It makes a difference on a cab for sure.

Last edited by RajDatta; 12-28-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:13 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
I would prefer something that picked up the end of the eccentric interested of of the mounting bolts this would lessen the eccentric bolt deflecting in the block..
+1
Mike
Old 12-19-2014, 08:49 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Bret Krause is the original manufacturer of the lower chassis brace. It makes a difference on a cab for sure.
OK.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:17 AM
C ANDERSON
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Name:  brace.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  153.5 KBI made some years ago that look like the ones that Lindsey sells , clears the exhaust just fine and so far have not scraped it on anything.
Can tell a difference on track and street.
have my home made one on 3 cars .
thinking about doing away with the heim joint and bolting a solid bar in its place .
Clifton
Old 12-26-2014, 01:31 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by C ANDERSON
I made some years ago that look like the ones that Lindsey sells , clears the exhaust just fine and so far have not scraped it on anything.
Can tell a difference on track and street.
have my home made one on 3 cars .
thinking about doing away with the heim joint and bolting a solid bar in its place .
Clifton
Wow, this thread is old...!

One of my post is quoted several messages up from 4+ years ago.....!

Clifton, how's your son's car coming...?

Retubbing Eon's car (with improvements) from the Hallet incident....right on schedule for Sebring.

T
Old 12-28-2014, 11:39 AM
C ANDERSON
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this thread is old...!

One of my post is quoted several messages up from 4+ years ago.....!

Clifton, how's your son's car coming...?

Retubbing Eon's car (with improvements) from the Hallet incident....right on schedule for Sebring.

Glad to hear your making progress on Eon's car ! He needs to keep going he has great talent .
Josh's car moving slow . to many projects at one time . We are however collecting parts decided to use a different tub , changing to a late car now .
Old 12-28-2014, 10:26 PM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lindsey Racing sells one as well.

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/944SUSLCB.html
Old 12-28-2014, 11:26 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Glad to hear your making progress on Eon's car ! He needs to keep going he has great talent .
Chipping away. Just about set to jack the engine into place and decided to go with one of the higher compression engines I have.
SO..., I think he's heading on down to the guy I use for machine work tomorrow to drop a block for honing..., said something about visiting Dave and dropping off a race seat that he wanted.

Josh's car moving slow . to many projects at one time . We are however collecting parts decided to use a different tub , changing to a late car now .
This isn't the white turbo tub that Dave said you didn't want huh...?

Want to do another car for SP3 right after we finish this one, either 944T or a 944S @ 2500lbs w/driver since they opened the rules on camshafts and allowed the S2 intake.

Let me know if y'all need anything.

I can build a fast car....

I have an Autopower bolt in cage, brand new, all drilled and assembled with the parts all letter indexed for reassembly, painted Alpine White.

I own a tubing bender with 1.5" dies you can borrow too if y'all want to build your own custom cage, complete with bending and notching software.

T
Old 12-28-2014, 11:31 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by aglaes
That's the one we use.

You have to use spacers (the thick washers like on the actual caster block mounting bolts work) to mount the end brackets because of the hump in the caster block.

You'll notice the RS Barn version has this space cut out for this reason.

T

Quick Reply: Anyone tried RS Barn Chasis Brace?